Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1101674 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #885 on: December 23, 2012, 11:14:56 AM »
Turbo angles---these are the two that I wish I could change---

but like so many things in LSR  they are compromise.  I think that what I am compromising is turbulence and dist.
 I am less concerned about the intercooler because there will be a open plenum between the two that will give the pressure diffrences an opportunity to adjust again. 

Again I welcome all thoughts because a Mike says with out DATA it just another opinion---there will be data---just as soon as we can get a data logging team member---the Dominator guy may be a candidate!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 05:12:46 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #886 on: December 23, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
These picts show a little about what I have to do---WHACK--- the diag. have to be modified to allow me to move the IC up and back---that will faciliate mounting and the transition angles--- the end tanks will be cut off by Marty and we will but a 3.5 on the inlet and a 5" on the outlet.

Water---we are going to use the existing plumbing routing to start with---data log the outlet water and air temps.  We have a 2 stage intercooler that we are going tfeed ice water into 2&4 and take water out of 1 & 3  hopefully this will cool progressively  the final cool will be air to air as ther should be 18" and the carb hat exposed to the slip stream.  Our hope for is ambient temp to the eng.

As you can see I am going to be busy retubing the top of the hoop and the upper "backbone" tube, just behind the eng.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:40:34 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Jon

« Reply #887 on: December 23, 2012, 02:38:51 PM »
How does it look if you put the turbo on a 45 degrees slope as well as across the car Sparky?I know it's not "right", looks pretty tight in there.

I'm guessing turbo up close to the motor  isn't an option?

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #888 on: December 24, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »
Whacked---finally cut 2 out fitted one will get them hard tacked before I cut any thing else out.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #889 on: December 25, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »
I recieved BRN yesterday and was reading about the White's trials and tribulation as they sorted out the liners drivetrain---noticed that Rick made refrence to problems with the plaentary trans---thought of the boys from Texas---"I need to call Bernie and tell him what the Whites did to solve the problem."  Got busy had a family diner to go to---got back---get me a wine---phone rings---its Bernie.

We get to talking---he regales me with "Tales of Inspection and Certification"--only to be saved by "The Mayor" who stRODE up on his trusty two feet---"What the wELL is going on here"

---Bernie had me in stitches---nearly rolling on the floor.

My Wifes phone rang---she came out and said----"That was Santa, he wanted to know if you two guys couldn't hold it down a bit,  he was off course, lost and behind schedule because Rudolph could not hear him over us!!!"  ---there in lies an example of her twisted humor---is there in doubt why I lover her so!!

Merry Christmas to all! Lets remember the reason for "THE SEASON"  have a great holiday---WE will, we are going up to spend New Years Eve with Sum and Ruth.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:48:21 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #890 on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
Its done I made a committment to Gordon at Extreme Velocity for a C&S 1000 Dominator Blow through and one of his carb hats.  He and C&S thought that the 1000 would have more flexibility and would be good for the turbo I have now.

What a heck of a nice guy---he answered all of my dumb questions!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:45:17 AM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #891 on: December 27, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
Late Christmas present to yourself? :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Freud

« Reply #892 on: December 27, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
SPARK...........Please tell Sum and Ruth HELLO for me.

THEY are special..

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #893 on: December 28, 2012, 12:14:09 AM »
We called today---they are both under the weather with some kind of BUG  we are postponing the trip

Offline JimL

« Reply #894 on: December 28, 2012, 02:07:26 AM »
Yep... :-( jeanne just had that.

It's called the "FLEW", because all the xmas plans flew right out the window.

Hope all have easy recovery.

JimL

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #895 on: December 28, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
This turbo stuff is such a subjective subject---It is so hard to get compressor maps of the older turbos.  On top of everything else---we have such a different application than most:

Here is what I have learned---  no think,  I have learned so far:

UTV 9406 701100-50?? this is apparently the "frame" that "THUMPER" Turbos are made on,
  I have a UTV 9406-91 that has a number  701100-5001 tag on it.
 I have found refrence to,  -101 and -106  I suspect there is a -96 out there also, there may be others, these were used on big diesel engs lots of them stationalry.

One "tweaks and tunes" these things by changing the turbine housing to determine where and how the power comes in.  The compressor or cold side determines how much air it can move.

It takes a lot of phone calls to find some one who can help you where you may not even recognize you need help before the call.  There are lots of guys that can help "SOME"---nobody can afford the time to take you from ground zero---read and study Garrett's stuff before you start.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:48:19 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #896 on: December 28, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
Levi told me about a great turbo "Work Sheet" at squirrlepf.com  :-o   Look under Tools

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #897 on: December 28, 2012, 05:08:47 PM »
This link works --> http://www.squirrelpf.com/turbocalc/   8-)

Pretty cool!

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #898 on: December 29, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »
For the money, the best turbo that I have found are the holset HT3b and the Holset HT60.
The exhaust sides are the same. The HT60 have an island cfm of about 850. The HT3bs are about 780 cfm.
Both of these turbos are extremely robust and have a .50 shaft diameter.
These turbo spin the opposite direction than the Garrett's and BW which will make them more work to convert once you want to spend more money on Garrett GT47xx or whatever.
You can usually find these turbos for under $300 a piece used. These are very good quality turbos. I understand that Cummins contributed a lot of money for R and D for these units.
Try to find units with 23cm turbine housing.
Remember, inducer size is not the only number you should care about. The inducer size is a better measurement when comparing turbos within a family of turbos of the same manufacturer.
500ci is pretty much the limit for these Holsets but they can support 1800 hp (ht3b) and 2000 hp (HT60) in twin form.
I have had a lot of issues putting Garrett  GT4708s on my liner. Knowing what I know now, I would of just used my HT3bs off of Vinny.
The guy I'm using for my reboring etc uses Holset HX55 units and has a front wheel drive import they're getting 900HP out of for drag racing. This is a young and has the finances to buy any turbo he wants but says the Holset is the best value for money and hasn't broken one yet. Not bad for a turbo that was made for diesel trucks.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #899 on: December 29, 2012, 05:15:35 AM »
I (THINK) I would like something that can deliver 150-175  # per min at  a pr of 2.5 ---only the very largest like a BW 595 or the Garrett UTV 904-106 that can deliver those numbers solo---I am still studying---I may have to go to a dual set up I sure hope not.