Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097643 times)

Offline JustaRacer

Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #870 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
I'll give this a shot.

On Borg Warners - S4xx is the frame size.  The xx is the inducer diameter of the compressor wheel.  You can measure this on an assembled charger.  Example:  S480 has a 80mm inducer dia.

On Garretts - GT4zxx is sort of the frame size, there are exceptions.  z is the subclass of the frame.  xx is the last two digits of the exducer size (can't be measured on assy charger).  Example GT4202 has a 102mm exducer dia on the compressor.

I think the pics are from a GT4718 compressor:

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #871 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
Nope.  This software is "vintage". :evil:

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #872 on: December 14, 2012, 08:13:04 PM »
Rob, we are making some progress  Marty has the coolers and is in the process of putting them in line so the air will go through the 2 cores  we will then decide on the water passage we will be using 2 pumps also  ---I hope to make some progress on the log manifolds this weekend.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #873 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »
For the money, the best turbo that I have found are the holset HT3b and the Holset HT60.
The exhaust sides are the same. The HT60 have an island cfm of about 850. The HT3bs are about 780 cfm.
Both of these turbos are extremely robust and have a .50 shaft diameter.
These turbo spin the opposite direction than the Garrett's and BW which will make them more work to convert once you want to spend more money on Garrett GT47xx or whatever.
You can usually find these turbos for under $300 a piece used. These are very good quality turbos. I understand that Cummins contributed a lot of money for R and D for these units.
Try to find units with 23cm turbine housing.
Remember, inducer size is not the only number you should care about. The inducer size is a better measurement when comparing turbos within a family of turbos of the same manufacturer.
500ci is pretty much the limit for these Holsets but they can support 1800 hp (ht3b) and 2000 hp (HT60) in twin form.
I have had a lot of issues putting Garrett  GT4708s on my liner. Knowing what I know now, I would of just used my HT3bs off of Vinny.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #874 on: December 14, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »
You can buy rebuild kits for the Holsets for about $45 from Michigan Turbo.
As long as the wheels have not made contact with the housings. Oh yeah, You will most likely find them with divided housings.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #875 on: December 15, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
Marty,  brought the intercoolers over with 2 of the end tanks cut off and tacked together we will be working on the packaging it looks like we will have to build the exhaust first so that we can get the turbo nailed down then figureto follow out the water plumbing the mounts and then the air plumbing!  picts to follow..  We will most likely plan on running alky at first untill we learn just how good the intercooler works. 

picts tommorrow
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #876 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:58 AM »
Scored an early 1150 Dominator off Craigslist  it one of the good ones with the raised lips..

Offline racergeo

« Reply #877 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »
   Sparky, are you going to send this off to make it a blow thru carb? If so to whom? How many$. thanks . Your faithful follower, George

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #878 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
George,  No we are using this for mock up and to run the eng NA to shake down---we are starting with my original 509 stuff--Stock Brodix 2x heads with stud girdles on a Chevy Bow Tie block. This should be good for where we are trying to go this year--That eng will probabaly do 780-800 and we would like to be around 1400-1500 if possible that is about all I think my PG/GV set up can handle

If this All works out eventually I want to make this into a 498  by destroking a 4" crank or going to a 427 3.76 crank creating a 488??

C&S so far has my attention with the 4500 series

We have a lot to do and LOTS of conflicts to make it happen---Paying for the kitchen redo and finishing a car..
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 08:07:32 AM by SPARKY »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #879 on: December 19, 2012, 12:18:40 AM »
Dominator blow throughs work pretty good.
The Mustang that I'm racing (Tim Rodeheaver) on the left is a blow thru Dom with no intercooler.
About 500 ci bbf 15lbs of boost. Ht3b turbos. Run 8.50s . Can run faster but he is afraid of breaking the stock block.

http://youtu.be/wtsqrPdfh4w

Because the fueling happens upstream with a carb, I think that helps to cool the charge.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #880 on: December 19, 2012, 04:55:57 AM »
   Sparky, are you going to send this off to make it a blow thru carb? If so to whom? How many$. thanks . Your faithful follower, George

Holy carp, where have you been?

I've missed you giving me , ya know, a talking to..... :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #881 on: December 21, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
Two intresting tidbits of info:

1.  Extremvelocity's carb hat will point straight back or forward when you use their dual float bowls
2.  Gordon would like to see at least 15" of straight tubing between the intercooler and the hat for the air to have a chance to "settle down"  I have heard that about 1' before turbo exhasust inlets is desireable.

I have speent several hours in the shop the last 2 days waiting for the the intercooler to tell me how it wants to be plumbed.

True confession time:  hoarding pays off  :-o , yesterday when Dave and I were playing with all this stuff in and around the back of the car the little thought clawed it way to the surface of my grey matter;

"did't you have about a 4' piece of thick wall 5" irrigation pipe you moved out there from Dallas 9 years ago?"  20 minutes later I found it stashed on top of something--- it will be perfect,, will have to cut some thin pieces off to make me some dognuts on the end to keep the silicone connectors on.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:03:47 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #882 on: December 21, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
Tell me about the fun of saving stuff, Sparky.  Once in a while I come up with the need for something out of the ordinary, or a tool that I got but haven't ever used.  Then - the occasion to use that arises!  Yee-hah, I've got the right stuff.  I usually finish the job and scurry into the house to tell Nancy that "I finally got to use that left-handed thermothrackle that I wanted back in '98!" :cheers: :-D :roll:

Merry Christmas to you and Linda
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #883 on: December 21, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
SSS  in the frozen north it appears that what may be DealThinger  down south is a THERMOfrackle--lol

Merry Crhistmas to you two and your extended downlines---

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #884 on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »
I spent several hours in the shop yesterday----pondering--pondering---pondering---sooner or later I am just going to have to jump up grap the saws all----but wait----I need to have this new cross member,  diagional, ect ect---to try to keep this thing from moving to much----

Robs more turbo experience is showing why he put his in front---I wanted to have mine at the rear close to the axle---but that means that my intercooler is going to be above  the exhast pipes geting to it.

The thing that is bothering me is the angles---It looks like that the exhaust in and the air out are going to have a 45 deg bend---I havent figured out a way to get the intake into a Hi press zone and the exhaust out of the body without turing the axis of the turbo about 45 deg to the center line of the car---I know I know---picts
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:33:59 PM by SPARKY »