Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097259 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel<Thud Spud> a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #825 on: September 02, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »
Well,  I jsut spent the last two hours p-u-l-l-i-n-g the frt skin over the drivers area----YEAH---it is difficult to pull on---but it self aligns and looks like it will have virtually no GAPS-- one of my lousy welds popped while I was pulling it on with two ratchet straps.

This post s seems so trivial but the way the body jumped around once I cut it when Summner was here.  I have been very concerned that it might not align back up. No one else was around for me to celebrate with----so you guys are the victims!!!

Now I should be able to take the frame back out side and prime this thing then install the fuel bay skin PERMATELY and start final assemby and make this building a car LOOK like it.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #826 on: September 02, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the chat yesterday!

Post pics, post pics! We need to see this! :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #827 on: September 06, 2012, 04:29:26 PM »
Likewise Buddy---

Doug Came over Tues. and he will runn the formula on the "Starship bridge" wind screeen and Francis brought the air intake by and we tried the fit an saw that it was what we are looking for he took it back to finish it up.  We hope to start priming it this weekend.  Al E. and Denton came by this morning for a vist and to check on progress.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #828 on: September 08, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »
brackets, brackets,  :-( body, body-- :-(--I am wanting to get to priming the frame and starting  AND get to final assemble SOMETHING

Offline Tman

« Reply #829 on: September 08, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
Final assembly is like a fine ale. Well worth the wait! :cheers:

You figure out the chute lanyard yet?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #830 on: September 09, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »
TMAN   I  have built  "noodle" Bell cranks to try push or pull --- I am THINKING I am going to have the primary be a rod that pushes but the seconday is on the side I get out on so for clearance reasons I may pull---once I make a final decison I will try to do something that looks nicer.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:29:19 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Tman

« Reply #831 on: September 09, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »
I am just thinking a rod will be the smoothest way in mine. Slide rod forward if the air fails.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #832 on: September 10, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »
Might just have to swing by this week on my day off and take a look at this bad boy in person

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #833 on: September 10, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
come on, come on---but only time and a few passes will tell if it is going to be bad

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #834 on: September 13, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
Sparky, was good to meet you today and get to see my first LSR car up close. Not sure what I can help with but if you need a hand with something or when the time comes need a hand at El Mirage or Bonneville, Id love to help out.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #835 on: September 14, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
Likewise Frankie

Well I was going to order my transition 45 deg  but they have stoped making them  they are NO longer in the exhasut business so I resorted to ordering some 7 deg. cones  from Cone engineering and some 45 deg 2.25 45 deg bends from Hooker they are on back order but they are 16 guage.  Thanks to Contrivance Eng. and my crusing the internet for WWII fighter inspriations the P-40s and Supermarine Spitfires for my exhaust noodle prompts.  Dr GAS used to offer 2.25" tubing to 1 5/8" x 3.5" 45 deg. transitions---no more.  Plan is to cut and modify the & deg 2" to 4"  cones to look similiar to those.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #836 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:50 PM »
Bill, Burns stainless has a ton of exhaust stuff, both stainless and regular steel. You might look at what they have, if you already haven't.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Tman

« Reply #837 on: September 14, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »
I have bought a lot of exhaust parts from these guys.

http://heartthrobexhaust.com/

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #838 on: September 15, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
stainless works is in Chagrin falls, Ohio.
they have a lot of parts and tech articles in their hard copy catalog.
I have never looked them up online.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #839 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
Joey is back in town from his Alaska fishing adventure.

I was able to help a guy get his twin turbo blow through set up  ironed out---he had built the HAT with an inlet on either side of a circle and it didnt blow straight at each other---they we causing a very active tornado inside the hat--- a baffle on each side  at 90 deg to air flow stopped the vortex
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 08:11:28 PM by SPARKY »