Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097446 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel<Thud Spud> a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #810 on: August 09, 2012, 01:52:43 AM »
Sumners handi work
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:12:05 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #811 on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:05 PM »
Well you lost me with that one Sparky & possibly a few others too I'd say. Looks like you had a spare wing tip? :? :?
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #812 on: August 09, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
naw  its a rat rod air cleaner---keeps the bugs rite outa ur teeth  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #813 on: August 09, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »
Good one mate! :cheers:
I won't say anything, I know it's really a secret weapon like the Ozzy winged keel. :roll:
  Sid.

Offline Crosley

« Reply #814 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
I'm just eggcited to read that Sum is working on a car.  :-D
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #815 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:22 AM »
Tony,  he seemed to be having fun!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #816 on: August 10, 2012, 06:00:50 AM »
good on ya trooper,lookin forward to seein ya all the same,champion effort to see you get this far so fast,is Sailor Sum comin?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #817 on: August 19, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »
Well SpeedWeek sabitical is over  got back in the shop yesterday afternoon--worked on something simple---the push bar roller wheel---finally found what what I think will work---a caster wheel that has a 5/8" bolt for and axle and it has a coverd steel wheel  if we mash the "tire" off we still have the flat wheel will weld it today  I am going to try to finish the car(bracketts & frame from the bulk head back that we can roll it out side and paint the frame with our Rustolem spray paint that grinds off easy and touches up easy yesterday I also "noodled out" installing the weight bars I got from Saltiene Jim's YOW by the end of the day. That will make a total 400# mounted low in the bottowm of the car just in frt of the rear axel.

jeeze  I could not even add 140 + 160==300 not 400
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:20:01 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Podunk

« Reply #818 on: August 21, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
Sparkeee,
Grant wanted to know who the old guy on the far right of our room was.

Terry MouReR

Offline Freud

« Reply #819 on: August 22, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »
Message for Sum...................I'm so glad you escaped the water.

Welcome back.

Ruth.....make him answer his e-mail. It may take a week but he has been missed.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #820 on: August 22, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
Dave and John come over today  we have the Heavy metal tacked in and and started on the fuel hatch

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #821 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
jeezee  no wonder I sold trucks instead of body working on them---I   :? :-o at it  slowly making progress--- will be in the shop most of today  this body stuff has to get nailed down so that I can Rustolem Primer the frame  I have played with the cam locks enough to think I can do a passable job on attaching body panels---I I do not have the dicipline to take the time to do this fairly right  it will be all for nought..

SW verified something that PP told me a long time ago one night at the KOA.

Sparky,  You can spend Millions on research, design, & construction, to get the best possible shape; millions in the wind tunnel tweaking the shape, and it can be undone by 15 minutes sitting in the sun on the race course.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #822 on: August 25, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
I think I am learning the hard way :oops:  why "tanks" are split in half lengthwise and mounted that way---One has to "deal" with it in ONLY two dimensions.  I didnt understand that when I started---the lesson is being reavealed  :-o  to me now as I try to mount and seal it.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #823 on: August 30, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »
John and I had a good day in the shop we cut some strips to help force the alingment into place ans one will do double duty.  It will be the lip the fuel acces door seals against.  John remembered that he had seen a HF planishing hammer some where---well  got it down put it together and tried it out--- we have lots to learn but it did smooth out what we had done with at body hammer over a piec of 3/8" arc

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #824 on: September 02, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »
Well  I spent the about 8 hrs between yesterday and today, doing what Marty could have done in 45 minutes. doing about 12 roset welds and welding in the strips that John and I made tues.  This is the first time I tried TIG doing this alum stuff.  I got a little better as I went along but they are horrible---they are on the inside and I am sure Marty will make me autograph this so no one will think that He or Joey did it.  lol

I will try the body alignment tomorrow.  I think it will be tight I just hope it aligns!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:57:58 AM by SPARKY »