Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097702 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel<Thud Spud
« Reply #735 on: July 15, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
Neil it is this force field shiel that protects you from a--- blast force that forces its way in the direction of travel inside the outer barrrier of the vechicle as it procedes down the race track----so much double speak--- 

We are sealing the back of the drivers cage from the outer skin----just in case we have an explosion that blows the seal of the outer skin to the hoop that is behind the drivers area---ie the bulkhead the cage will be sealed and has its own panels some are .109 an thes we are doing now are about.062 under the driver and sealing off the back 1/2 of the 18" deep helment area.  In other words if an explosion blows fire forward we are trying to protect drivers upper body and the saftey harness---from flame by having an inner skin around a lot of the drivers area---will post be fore and afters
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:28:25 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #736 on: July 15, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
OK, Bill- I think I understand. Good idea!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #737 on: July 16, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
Neil, water tight & flame resistant firewall are required in the rules.
  Sid.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #738 on: July 16, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »
I know Sid; I just never heard that term before.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #739 on: July 16, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
Neil,  I had seen some where in the past when a eng bay explosion had balloon tede body  and made the body sealing non existant--- fuel and fire were blown into the drivers compartment and caused much havoc!!  what we are doing may or may not help!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »
Bill;

Yes, I can see where an explosion could do that. How about building in "blow-out panels" in the engine compartment so that an explosion will blow out those panels and then not generate enough internal pressure to damage the firewall sealing?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #741 on: July 17, 2012, 12:43:18 AM »
Neil,  I would like to say I was smart enought to say that we had planned for that but we are not---but we may have gotten lucky---the panel abore the eng and below the eng are going to be more or less hard mounted---the side panels will be made in such a way as the will sorta have
to be "pinched" much like you would grab the ends of cards to bend fan shuffle them.----The sides will be  easily removeable for service of the plugs and  to run the valves.

Offline Tman

« Reply #742 on: July 17, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
Neil,  I had seen some where in the past when a eng bay explosion had balloon tede body  and made the body sealing non existant--- fuel and fire were blown into the drivers compartment and caused much havoc!!  what we are doing may or may not help!!

Yeah, I have seen that as well. The results were ugly and scary :-o

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #743 on: July 17, 2012, 02:20:14 PM »
I suggested blow out panels to the SCTA board several years ago and it was turned down. I think any sealed engine area should have a blow out panel to prevent side panels from expanding with a big engine failure. I talked to Sparky at he May meet and he agreed to my suggestion on the secondary panels.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #744 on: July 17, 2012, 02:30:08 PM »
Glen;

The only drawback of blowout panels that I can think of is the possibility that aerodynamic pressure could cause then to dislodge. Even so, it's not as serious as a window blowout; there are not hundreds of pieces of glass to pick up off the track. The risk to the vehicle is that the missing panel may cause instability (maybe). An explosion creates high enough peak overpressure that it should be able to hold in place during a high speed run yet be able to be blown out in an explosion. A closed container is an invitation to disaster. I remember blowing up lots of tin cans with carbide when I was a kid.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #745 on: July 17, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »
It's desirable to have the body panel at the firewall area, fixed to the car for that very reason. My new liner is that way & I did that with three other cars too. On the Herbert Steen liner I made that panel part of the firewall due to the bigger risk of the driver being behind the grenade.
  Sid.

Offline Jon

« Reply #746 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »
This is why i am fully sheeting my rollbars down to my riders tub.
Being in a glass body that at least the top 1/2 will have to come off for maintenance I'm not confident in the body firewall seal.
After discussion on here I am putting some bolt in panels so cutting equipment can get to the barwork if needed.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #747 on: July 17, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
Blow out panels on funny cars have a cable retainer to keep them attached to the vehicle.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #748 on: July 17, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
Good idea, Glen.

Offline DND

« Reply #749 on: July 17, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
A retainer cable would have to be short or long enough so the panel does not get near a tire, then you could have double trouble with a tire blow out too.

Don