Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097364 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel<Thud Spud
« Reply #720 on: July 10, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »
GREAT day !
Went to bed last night flumuxed baout how in the world I was goint to cross breed the nose to the tank----wallah---- woke up this morning and as I was getting out of bed---the car spoke to me---TURKEY feathers---seems like the other day when I was reasearching the SaberLiner tank---I saw an after burners "turkey feathers"---so below you see the results of this revaelation and my new to me plasma cutter

Hit the shop at 5:30 to a break around 8:00 for breakfast  Andy came over at 10:00, John at 10:20  Andy had to leave at 12:00   Marty came at 4:00 and tacked what we had gotten done---I also got a good lesson on how to keep a good welder happy----NEAT::::

Neat orderly copes
Neat clean prep
Neat straight cut---in other words----I he is going to weld it ---he wants to be proud of it---my mock up standards are not up to his ---final WELD ---standards
  I will work to do my part so that he will be proud to weld on my car!!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:22:58 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #721 on: July 10, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »
more of great day

We had to weld in some strap  on top of the cage to keep the tank "up" so that we can make the "to be made" canopy stay in alingment!!
5&6 are some more "alingment" opportunities"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:31:18 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #722 on: July 10, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »
Great day results:

We still have a good bit to do to get the tanks so that it "ALIGNS" consistiently--

The Weasels nose transplant is almost done---next up---- the cosmetic surgeon to finish the job and make the "WEASEL look purty!!!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:34:42 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #723 on: July 11, 2012, 06:27:41 AM »
Woke up thinking about this "STUFF"---building a car is like so many other things in life---you get on a roll and you get get tunnel vision---When Marty and I were studying the nose piece the previous night  I made a passing comment about we would get it cobbled on there somehow---he said  " I don't do cobble."
Well John and I got on a roll and I got so fixsated on what it was taking to get the thing on  "STRAIGHT" --  I never thought about what we should have been doing to prep the metal so that it would not look "cobbled" so that if and when we go there---it would be ready to properly weld.

We are going to have a nose that will be structurally sound but could look  better if I had trimmed the pieces so the welds would have be straighter and not look like I country boyed them on.  I wasn't concerend be couse I was planning on using some "Bondoli" to float the nose contour---which I now think we may be able to work it to ok.

Some of this car I have definitely "over thought" definitely not the nose transplant

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #724 on: July 12, 2012, 11:55:31 PM »
 a fairly good day---got the new pan all cleaned up with degreaser and the pressure washer then put it on hopefully for the last time---then I took the Barnes pump apart---before I could do that i had to take the back plate off  it had a 12 point inner fitting---I had never worked with those before--sorta looked like a star the T40 was too small and the T45  was too large---went tool shopping could not find andything  in between----so I called Barnes thech service and asked what in the world special tool it took---they replied a 1/4" Allen wrench----I  CRACKED up----the tech chuckled and said " When you saw the 12 point you thought it took something special didn't you?---yeppers  who said there is nothing new under the sun.

Andy helped me with the pump for a short while before he went in to work--- and Marty came by after 5:00 pm and he welded on the dry sump tank.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2012, 06:04:13 AM »
Sparky,

following how you and the team are trashing to get the racer ready for Bonneville,

I was just thinking....

if you and the team than at last on the salt....someone is saying....."the whole time I have the feeling we forgot something at home.....can someone say me where the trailer with the lakester is..................."

Sparky, all the best for the work and I hope I will see you at the salt in August, with the lakester....doesn't matter how he looks...
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #726 on: July 13, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »
 :-D  PP thanks for the smiles ---we still belive we can be there with a completed car--  it is going to be INTRESTING!

gkabbt

« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
Sparky,

Not meaning to hijack the thread but I thought you might enjoy seeing your old car here at Loring from today.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/GKABBT/Loring%2007142012/?action=view&current=IMG_3976.jpg

I thought this car looked familiar when it came in yesterday. I was talking with the owner (CRS has kicked in) this afternoon and he told me it was your old car. I took him on a trip down memory lane when Randy DuPree used to run it at Maxton, albeit much shorter.

The pic above is from this morning and was the 1st run for the car. It was at 175 this due to transmission issues.
They were going to try and get another run in today.

Hope you enjoy,
Gregg

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #728 on: July 15, 2012, 12:03:26 AM »
Gregg,  Thanks for sharing--I miss old RATICAL---may he be as kind to John as he was to me GO JOHN GO  :cheers:  :cheers: :cheers:

Looks like John has spiffed up the old Rat!!  I'll bet old rat will like that!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:35:05 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #729 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:05 AM »
Shop day  I worked to noon by myself --Andy was able to join me afterwards---this is a testimony to southern BEINGEnginering---using the shop vent control as a plumb bob to check the nose transplant---we got'er pretty dam straight--- with the nose transplant almost complete---lots and lots of sick preverted humor about---FPDR---female pleasure device Racing, we are talking bout calling Duracell; Everready, and the Battery Bunny  about CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP!!!!!

#1 Redneck plumb  bob
#2 more of same
#3  gives you an idea of how much air will go under nose & the upper small hole is for the axle and the lower one is for the tie rod!!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:46:43 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #730 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »
more:  Woody, Pork Pie & Skip H. these are for you---

for us unwashed masses --- inagine a duracell pair of batteries painted on the cockpit area,  the hood scoop may end up looking like an on-off switch!!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:47:11 AM by SPARKY »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #731 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
Ran some numbers for you Sparky! F86 plus F105 = F191 times 2 = F382 minus 55 mph = 327 mph   :-o

See you next month on the salt!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #732 on: July 15, 2012, 09:57:33 AM »
That's real sharp Sparky!
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: July 15, 2012, 07:41:36 PM »
WOW---bracket racing at its finest---this is why it is so tough some times in the shop 6.5 hrs and all Andy and I to show for it are these 2 straps

But when we pull them off and take out all the tanks flip the car and finish welding in the "Flash Shields"and such---  yes sirree Mr Glen Barrett SIR  we have made flash panels--- that will be installed under the seat  and the rear of the cage.  These flash shields are real light steel and will barley be tacked in.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:43:24 PM by SPARKY »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #734 on: July 15, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
OK Bill-- I've gotta ask..."What's a flash shield"?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ