Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1102232 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel<Thud Spud
« Reply #705 on: July 08, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
Bob dropped by and we discussed making and attaching the back body---then Jon dropped in and while Marty was making the scoop mounting plate on the mill---- John and I got busy setting up the Plasma Cutter and grabbing straight edges---and a broken band saw blade that makes a great batten for bending around a cyl. shape. 

I was a coward and let Marty cut while John and I held the tank and the straight edges --- but we are closer to a canopy---for we definitely will need one now
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:37:02 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #706 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
sometimes me forget
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #707 on: July 08, 2012, 07:11:51 PM »
Found the plate for the nose on the Wild Weasel  its the tail end of a pylon tank off a F-86 Saberjet made in 1954---goes well with my F-105 Thunderchief

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/75/F-86a_sabre_fu-178_kemble_arp.jpg/640px-F-86a_sabre_fu-178_kemble_arp.jpg

Sabre tank, you're in good company Billy....

The top of the cab(with the windows in it) is the bottom front(?) part of the piece that was cut off what you see here because the  firewall is the widest part and the scoop is the tip of the lower part..........yeah, that made sense...

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #708 on: July 08, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
Turns out the nose of the Wild Weasel is the back end of a F-86 pylon tank we will use the big hole for being to take the nose on and off and the flopper lid for the beer cooler is off a cart that is used to move hot grease in larger commercial kitchens---
 one more thing that gets a new life on the Wild Weasel  so much is being recycled on this car we maybe should have considered calling it "ROAD KILL"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:24:33 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #709 on: July 09, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »
Question of the day-  :-P - what could I put on the bottom of the 3/16" alum plate to inhibit heat transfer from the eng. below

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #710 on: July 09, 2012, 01:42:30 AM »
You can use the Gold Reflective Film from C&R racing http://www.crracing.com/gold-reflective-film  This is what the Indy cars use and what I am using  on my air box. Tony
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 01:45:30 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #711 on: July 09, 2012, 06:38:40 AM »
Unless the aluminum is actually in contact with the hot parts, it won't conduct the heat.  You could just polish the aluminum using successively finer sandpaper and finish with a buffing wheel and aluminum polish. In fact, polishing the outside as well will reflect a lot of the sun's heat and keep it cooler.  Probably a lot cheaper than gold.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #712 on: July 09, 2012, 07:11:34 AM »
The gold foil is probably the idea, or you could just polish the bottom of it, we did that in a lot of places after I spoke to a local tuner garage guy..."what do you guys use to shield heat from those big turdbos( :roll:)?"...I was expecting him to try and sell me something..."can ya weld aluminium?"....."we use heavy plate and mirror polish it"

we also used a sheet of fibro-cement stuck between two sheets of 1.6mm Al as a heat barrier above the tailpipe junction.

loooooookin good Sparky. :cheers:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #713 on: July 09, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »
Dr. G  ---lets see now--both of our cars started out as aux. tanks for the USA and Aus.,  as missels were just being developed, the choice of delevery systems for A bombs!!!

Back then speed and flying under the radar was about the only way to increase odds of succcess!
The Thud had a repetetiuaon for not being able to turn and really had didn't handle slow very well as in landing. 

It is intresting to me that we both ended up using the same F-86 tank  for  added streamling and incorpored the junction that is part ot the tank---it looks like y'all made it part of the canopy junction and I am making it so that we can take the nose off the get to the frt axle, and minimize the trailer overhang!! 

Dodge ---the political correctness is killing.. me we both have hybrids---cross breading-- fighters and bombers, trying to go faster and we are recycling---ohhh how green we are!!! I still don't by global warming though!!

Heres to OUR bomber moms and the same SABER Jet dad

Geezz--we are pracitically hillbilly cousins---no dna testing allowed

heres to yuah cus --one hillbilly to another   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers: not quite Pattons toast
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:49:43 PM by SPARKY »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #714 on: July 09, 2012, 01:59:46 PM »
Koncrete;

The problem with using aluminum as a heat shield is that it is not very effective. True, it may look shiny but that's not what is important. In the infrared is where the important characteristics lie. Polished aluminum looks shiny to our eyes but this is only true in the visible portion of the spectrum, in the infrared, it isn't that "shiny". It actually absorbs quite a bit of heat (heat is in the infrared) and does not re-radiate it away very efficiently. So it gets hot.

A shiny surface does not automatically give it a heat reflective property; grab a chrome-plated wrench that has been lying out in the southern AZ sun for 15 minutes and you'll see what I mean. Gold is the most effective heat shielding and it takes only a very thin coating-- all those satellites that NASA launched had gold /mylar foil heat shields to keep the sun's radiation from cooking everything. End of boring lecture.............. :-P

BTW, Bill-- I used two F-86 Saberjet rear- view mirrors in my hot rod. Slightly convex metal mirrors and their curvature matches the windshield very well.  :cheers: to the F-86

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #715 on: July 09, 2012, 05:46:15 PM »
and here's the Waza-Vudu , owned and built by Wayne Mumford here in Aus, the body of the car is from a RF101 Voodoo aaaaaaand the canopy and cowell are the tip of the same Sabre tank that was then given to us.... Wayne said "Dunno if you guys can do anything with this?".....The Rev's eyes kind of bugged out of his head a bit when he saw it and he just grabbed it and stuck it in the back of my van...he's got like cartoon character "laser eyes" or something and in one quick pass had visualized the Sabre tank cut axially and laid on top of our Canberra. He was spot on.....anyway here's the Waza-Vudu

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #716 on: July 09, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #717 on: July 09, 2012, 06:40:45 PM »
and here's the Waza-Vudu , owned and built by Wayne Mumford here in Aus, the body of the car is from a RF101 Voodoo aaaaaaand the canopy and cowell are the tip of the same Sabre tank that was then given to us.... Wayne said "Dunno if you guys can do anything with this?".....The Rev's eyes kind of bugged out of his head a bit when he saw it and he just grabbed it and stuck it in the back of my van...he's got like cartoon character "laser eyes" or something and in one quick pass had visualized the Sabre tank cut axially and laid on top of our Canberra. He was spot on.....anyway here's the Waza-Vudu

I have been in love with that tank since my pal Whodaky sent me shots of it many years ago.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #718 on: July 09, 2012, 06:55:31 PM »
Sparky, dont really know what you're after for heat shield but I have a friend that makes custom turbo blankets, manifold blankets, heat shields etc. The stuff is tripple layer silica cloth that is 1/2" thick. You can put your hand on the stuff when its on the hottest turbo & its like putting your hand on warm laundry, its that good. I would wear a fire suit made out of the stuff if it could be SFI'd.
  Sid.

Offline John Burk

« Reply #719 on: July 10, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
Shiny vs heat transfer reminds me of years ago my inexperienced friends volunteering to pull my dragster plugs after a run . "Watch out for the chrome headers" . 10 seconds later YAAAH ! Shiny things conduct heat well but radiate it poorly . If the plenum floor was several thin layers with air gaps , the place for shiny would be the interior surfaces where radiation is the primary means of heat transfer .