Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097293 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
The Wild Weasel
« Reply #660 on: June 27, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
mine is 30"  didn't know I was looking for another tank :-P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:59:21 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: the Wild Weasel<Thud Spud
« Reply #661 on: June 27, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »
Dam what a wasted day as for as LSR was concerened--I know better :cry: I know better :cry: I know better :-o  I should have gone to a good U-joint site like Spicer and noodled out my "HYBRID",  "Special", "conversion u-joint"  maybe today after  spending the last 1.5 hours online and trotting back and forth to the shop with calipers I have identified the correct combo---

Cleveland  5-1313-X
D1 1.125 brg cap dia with 2.625" inner clip retainer
D2 1.188 brg cap dia with 3.625" outer retainer dim.
and # 3-70-48x strap kit  such is the way with our wonderful GM 7.5" 10 bolt with its metric yolk

Dodge  we get more smart and less recall so---- it  back to being just like a kid again---no wonder we old geezers enjoy this stuff so much, except for the aches and pains, it just like being 14-16 and learning all over again  :-P  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:04:47 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #662 on: June 27, 2012, 09:33:38 AM »
I thought you said your tank was rough, I was going to offer to donate a clean one but I don't have any 30's. The 101 is my biggest tank & that is 29.
Sonoma 7.5 has a flat flange 4 bolt style if anybody is interested.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #663 on: June 27, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »
I bet I will explore that in the future!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #664 on: June 28, 2012, 12:29:42 AM »
Quote from: kiwi belly tank link=topic=9404.msg195308#msg195308 date=1340804018 ... 4 bolt style...
[/quote
'splain please?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #665 on: June 28, 2012, 06:24:32 AM »

Dodge  we get more smart and less recall so---- it  back to being just like a kid again---no wonder we old geezers enjoy this stuff so much, except for the aches and pains, it just like being 14-16 and learning all over again  :-P  :cheers:

My father had a plate hanging on the wall with an old Pennsylvania Dutch saying on it.  "We get too soon oldt and too late schmart!"
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #666 on: June 28, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »
The 4 bolt flange is a type of yoke that is available for rear axles---go to Spicers site  lots of different ways to skin various cats when it comes to u-joints and drive shafts.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #667 on: June 28, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
The 4bolt flat flange won't twist under extreme load like a half cup style can. GM used this type on the Sonoma's for this very reason. I found them on 05 or later SUV's, not sure if they go any earlier. You're giong to need the matching yoke off the end of the drive shaft to go with it.
If you run a half cup style yoke on anything, get your dial indicator out & check the runout. They can be vibrating, HP sucking bitch.
  Sid.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #668 on: June 29, 2012, 02:12:35 AM »
So... you use the flat yoke on the pinion shaft? And thus move the twist-potential to the driveshaft which now needs a long offset to the bearing saddles? Splain, please...

Comically: As I read that post, I thought you were saying that member "Sonoma 7.5" had a flat flange 4-bolt style tank available!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:19:07 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #669 on: June 29, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
Jeez Jack, are we both speaking english here?
The flat pinion flange for the General Motors Sonoma 7.5/7.75 differential (you still with me?) wont make the drive shaft any weaker than it already is, the UJ (universal joint) is the same distance from the end of the pinion as the two leg yoke & will not change drive shaft length but will eliminate the possability of runout with the two leg style. UJ's take HP because they don't run at a constant speed, out of round UJ's take more.
This information to be used or discorded as you see fit.
  Sid.
ps, Dr Goggles will be my spell checker today, I've left a tip mate. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #670 on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »
On the Spicer site I don't know what they would recomend for angle differences for a shaft that spins around 8900.  got out the dial indicator to night will set it up i the am to just what the run out is :?

WE are making some progress the motor plates are nailed down, the trans mount is shimmed the driveshaft is I think done---will drill the two holes that will lock down the rear axle Sat PM
Francis will be up fr. Tucson we will finalized the Air intake ,  the brake and throttle are workable
 we are getting real close to dropping the frt axles ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel<Thud Spud
« Reply #671 on: June 30, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
we are going to have to ply the weasel with some adult beverages or something to get it to tell us what the air intake is going to look like---I must have pondered this thing15 times---only a vague idea what it will look like.  I may have to call the "tank think" shrink!!!  :roll:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:58:48 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #672 on: July 01, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »
A good day in the shop a bad night with the camera---sorry guys---will do a better job with the camera tonight!!

Francis and I worked out the  air intake logistics.  we should be able to take it off with out having to  disconect fuel and throttle -- LSR is such a series of trade offs  The last two nights Andy and I have beingeeniered the chute tubes---stilll do not have release levers worked out.  Andy has run the line to the frt fire nozzel we will T into that line for the nozzel under the drivers back that will  spray the bulk head.  We have had a canopy "revealation" it now will hinge on the side. What changed was that it was easier for me to get out by putting my leg over the side to make mor room when I scrunched forward to get my helment out.  We will get  worked out  which side  to get out of later!!  We are meeting for breakfast at 6:45 then we should have a good day in the shop:  Plans reinstall the intake, frt motor plate and water pump, start the dry sump pump install--need the pan--- do not have ---2 weeks late and counting  but we have been working on STUFF-- we hope to have the eng by plumbing finished before we pull the motor to put the pan on:

Biggies left: BODY & CANOPY, cooling plumbing, fuel plumbing,   and jillions and jillions of small one act dramas!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #673 on: July 01, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »
 lets try again

I do not know how much run out is norm but I have +.005 & -.007 for a total variance of .012  :?
We will nail down the rear axle today--- the back of the car needs a push bar wheel and the combo push bar and chute anchors finished as well as backend of the pilot and chute cans secured and made operable.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:20:57 AM by SPARKY »

Offline DND

« Reply #674 on: July 01, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Hi, i have an idea

I see a curved tube in front of your rear end, you could clamp a flat steel plate to that tube and the outer frame rail.

Then put your mag indacator base on that plate for a solid reading? the way it is now it might move a little on that round tube.

Just my 2 cents worth

Don