Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097333 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #645 on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:40 AM »
Woody, had posted the links to the F-105 Squadron picts.  It really is tempting to rename this thing
"Wild Weassel" in honor of the Electronic Warfare versions and the fact that I want to duplicate the nose art of Art Afons Green Monster #5.

Reading about the Wild Weassels in Viet Nam is an intresting study in early air to air electronic warfare.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:54:14 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #646 on: June 25, 2012, 08:18:35 AM »
Had a great day in the shop bracket racing closing in on the foot pedals--got the throttle right and the brakes wrong will have to make new mount.  What I should have done is make the mounts suit up and wait until someone could help me play with proper position.--But no old Mr impatient welded it in instead of tacking!  Get to make another---well if a long legged driver comes along we got him already fixed up!! 

Andy was able to join me for  a couple hrs and we refit the trash tray in the liffter galley to remove any miss alignment with the stud.  Cleaned every thing up, move on to the intake manifold. Today to Lopers and buy some new intake gaskets and other parts then back on with the top sides.  Waiting, waiting, hurry up and wait for something that was supposed to be here 10 day ago now I find out another 10 days---  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: thoughts
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #647 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:07 AM »
Woody, had posted the links to the F-105 Squadron picts.  It really is tempting to rename this thing
"Wild Weassel" in honor of the Electronic Warfare versions and the fact that I want to duplicate the nose art of Art Afons "Ole Noisy" his Green Monster #5.

Reading about the Wild Weassels in Viet Nam is an intresting stucy in early air to air electronic warfare.

Bill;

"Ol' Noisy" wasn't Arfon's car-- it was (is) owned & driven by "Red" Greth of Arizona Speed Sport. Red comes to lunch now & then with our informal group of car guys on Thursdays here in Tucson. "Wild Weasel" sounds like a good name to me!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #648 on: June 25, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
Wild Weasel has a lot better ring to it & definately appropriate. For what it's worth, you have one vote.
Do you still have the fin's off the 105 tank & are they looking for a home?
  Sid.

Offline DND

« Reply #649 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »
Hi Neil

Red's out of site Blown Fuel roadster & Mooningham's 554 Blown fuel coupe were my 2 most favorite non dragsters form the earley 60's, tell Red hi for me as a big fan of his orange roadster and it was one of the best !!!

And the best thing about those 2 cars is they both had the pipes going straight back under the car, and boy did they sound good on a big load of nitro kinda like rap city.

Jack Christman's first Blown fuel Comet was 3rd for cool sounding fuelers, and light them up pertty good too.

Don

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #650 on: June 25, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
Wild Weasel has a lot better ring to it & definately appropriate. For what it's worth, you have one vote.
Do you still have the fin's off the 105 tank & are they looking for a home?
  Sid.

Two  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #651 on: June 25, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »
Neal, the article in the Phoenix Repugnant identified it as A A #5. The fins came off  the rear part of some other tank I got from Summner, not the 105---they may have a  function in the future. we may use them as part of a smaller diffuser.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #652 on: June 25, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
Neal, the article in the Phoenix Repugnant identified it as A A #5. The fins came off  the rear part of some other tank I got from Summner, not the 105---they may have a  function in the future. we may use them as part of a smaller diffuser.

Bill;

You can't believe much of what is in the news and that is a good example. It was Gary "Red" Greth's car.

I wasn't the one who asked about the fins-- sorry.

Don- yes, I'll tell Red hello the next time I see him.

Regards, Neil  Tucson.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #653 on: June 25, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
Sparky, I have a mint 105 tank hanging in the barn with the other tanks. I intend to use two of the fins on the liner, it's just a shame to scavenge off a museum quality piece.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud>>morphing to>> Wild Weasel
« Reply #654 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:59 AM »
Kiwi please post picts of your rafter queen---  my tank was a bomb bay ferry tank not out in the air it had no fins the back was blunt.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:17:25 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:52:32 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #657 on: June 26, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
Three  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
the Wild Weasel
« Reply #658 on: June 26, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
. I also have a 101 belly tank, same as my lakester, & four bran new F4 tanks.

Hmmmmmm, they'll keep you regular. :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:20:28 PM by SPARKY »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #659 on: June 26, 2012, 10:54:24 PM »
Only because I cant get me weet bix, here's the lost "d" I owe ya Goggs. :cheers:
 Sparky, are you looking for a clean tank? What dia is yours?
  Sid