Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097500 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #630 on: June 19, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
Great day in the shop!!!!

Freaky failure---unbelievable good luck!!

This is the rear stud that held the plate down over the camshaft the the dam thing was floating around but nothing fell in to the cam gallery--when we turned the ting over on the motor stand the washer fell through the push rod opening in the head an down in to the valve cover ---when we rotated it back up it fell and his the valve cover with a light tink---we all looked at each other---I roated it back upside down and it made another small sound--pulled thevalve cover and found a small washer---well that scared the bejesus out of us  we knew we had to pull the intake and see what happened!!  no damage---we got darn lucky  I now know why so many folks pull stuff apart and CHECK EVERYTHING after a dyno run!!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:42:16 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #631 on: June 19, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »
later
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #632 on: June 19, 2012, 11:59:44 PM »
Stainless;

"It has never loosened in the 12 years it has been in that configuration..."

Maybe the Bonneville salt will corrode it in place  :-)

I'd still put a pin in there.

...as they said aboard the Hindenburg, "We never had that problem before...."

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ

Reminds me of the words of Carroll Smith in "Preparing to Win". He says you don't need to safety-wire everything on the race car, just those things you don't want to have fall off.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #633 on: June 20, 2012, 12:28:36 AM »
what great luck---if that little washer handn't fallen and made a sound we would not have known about the failuer of the stud and we looking for the broken part!!!!!--found it wedged in beside a push rod left a minor minor scratch on one of the tapered push rods---lucky lucky lucky
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:26:38 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #634 on: June 20, 2012, 12:32:32 AM »
Bill, we're hanging on every word.....
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #635 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:20 AM »
update:  John cme over early and stayed to 3:30  what a great help this guy is  Marty came over and stayed till almost 5--Andy droped by at 6:00 and we worked on the chute tubes and "bingengineered" till 8:00

a   Cut the chute tubes and stuck them in there
b  lots of work on the sump tank today
c  weld in-- cooling transfer pump
d  the brakes got some work yesterday and today
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:23:20 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #636 on: June 22, 2012, 12:51:15 AM »
Got the front motor plate mostly done need the tabs and mounting bolt holes drilled and mounted!
Eng is in the car---not locked down ---almost---brackets brackets---foot throttle-- barckets brackets this stuff drives one mad some times---found out it goes better with beer---the charity beer of the day is Modello especial---my buddy Goose bought an 18 pack and had only had two disapper in 2 months---there have been 10 disappear in 5 days in the shop between Andy and I---charity beer tastes really swell be cause the price is sooo good :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #637 on: June 22, 2012, 01:11:10 AM »
You guys drink too slow but Modelle is ok!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #638 on: June 22, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »
us old guys have weak systems--some of us no longer are up to FULL strength beer 3 = a 6 pack of lites lol
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:43:22 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #639 on: June 22, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
Cheap date :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #640 on: June 22, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
I am I am  :cry:---but not easily impressed  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #641 on: June 22, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »
Well I am. like the buid. been following it for a while. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #642 on: June 22, 2012, 10:36:58 PM »
Watching a military documentary on your 105 Thud, good stuff. :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #643 on: June 23, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »
link or what to watch for?  :-P

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #644 on: June 23, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »
It was on the military channel, according to the documentary there were 78 B's made and the rest were mostly D's which was an extended nose.  The later 105 models were upgraded electronics.  800 and something made half of them shot down in Nam.  It was a good watch!!