Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097357 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #615 on: June 13, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
Quoting Stainless: "Well Happy Birthday old man.... not to worry, I hear 70 is the new 50" . This means I am only 49!! Darn that feels great!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Tman

« Reply #616 on: June 13, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »
Quoting Stainless: "Well Happy Birthday old man.... not to worry, I hear 70 is the new 50" . This means I am only 49!! Darn that feels great!

Rex

Not as good as 69 rex :-o

Sparky happy bday a day late. Last night I made a template for my own battery basher. I am not worried about hitting things as much as I am about torsional rigidity.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #617 on: June 13, 2012, 03:29:45 PM »
Guys, you only count the anniversaries of your 39th birthday!  :-D

I'm only 28!!  :-o
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Podunk

« Reply #618 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52:02 PM »
A late Happy Birthday Sparky. The really good thing is at Bville they call guys our age " Young Man".

Terry

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #619 on: June 13, 2012, 06:46:48 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #620 on: June 14, 2012, 12:18:05 AM »
Well we just keep bracket racing along the last 2 days-- I have been working on fuel systems, dry sump tank and fire suppression systems.  I have located the three nozzels for the drivers area  2 on the front of the upper torso and one spraying on the lower back.  Francis from down south will be by in the AM with one of Rons fuel pressure regulators.   I am going to run a mechanical pump so that I don't have to run an "upset switch"  I have one of Aeromotives big boost registered fuel pressure regulator to step down to 20-22 Psi and I will run on of Rons to drop the carb to 5-7 psi. this system will require 3 fuel returns one from each regulator and one from the fuel shut off I should be able to get away with only two tank holes.

I should be able to pair the shut off return and the carb bypass on a T since only one of those at a time will be returning fuel.

Picts in the AM
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #621 on: June 14, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
This is some of what I did on my birthday

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #622 on: June 14, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »
John came over on Tuesday an he made several patterns for pieces that will finish enclosing the back of the cockpit and I really got busy on the dry sump tank,  Marty came over last night and TIG spotted  several of the dry sump parts.  Francis  should be by today and we will nooodle out the rest of the fuel system.

The picts show the outside, the entrace to the tank of the oil.  Before with the long flat runs we were able to get rid of the bubbles in the oil. This is the oil cooler that we will mount in the tank > I will pull water out underneath the thermostat housing and run through this to pre heat the oil to function as an oil heater and at speed it will function as a oil cooler if need be---any way the oil and water should be near the same temp.

the other pict is the rest of the parts  less a shut of valve so that I can remove the tank with out having to drain it.  not pictured is a vent that I have to  find in my running around.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:38:47 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Jon

« Reply #623 on: June 14, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »
Looking good Sparky, amazing how quickly things are coming together.

Stupid question for today; why are you pressurizing the fuel to greater than 22psi to end up using it at 5-7psi?

Belated happy birthday.

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #624 on: June 14, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »
I am using a mechanical pump for several reasons and so that I can use a Mechanical fuel shut off instead of the dreaded inerita switch.

Some day I will turbo efi and will WANT the mechanical pump because its output better tracks fuel requirments.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #625 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »
Sparky,
The use of a mechanical pump for an EFI turbo is because it has sufficient flow to maintain the required fuel system pressure at high horsepower and boost pressure. If you have a big motor at high boost the fuel pressure has to be set at the control pressure, typically 40-50 psi plus the boost pressure and most of the present day electric fuel pumps can't provide enough flow to be able to maintain the required 60-70 psi fuel pressure. The guys to talk to are the Langlo's, they have the fuel system on their big Hemi pretty well dialed in. Their motor is making about 2500+ hp and using a BSF (Brake Specific Fuel flow) of .6 lb/hp-hr they are burning around 4-5 gallons of gas per minute!! Only mechanical pumps can do this at 70+psi.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #626 on: June 15, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
If all goes well WE should be able to finish the dry sump tank, this weekend---

WE really need the new oil pan so we can set the eng. in the car so much of the clearences of other things will have to conga line around it!! :?  Got in 3.5 hrs this morning 2.5 brackets ugh!!  I am so slow and my fabrication skills are not what I would love them to be!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #627 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
Oil Tank Oil Heater/Cooler

This is a used truck oil cooler I had lying around and we plumbed it with 1/2" water pipe the we had to neck down to the 3/8"   I drilled out the water pipe connectors to 7/16".  We  have air pressure tested this to 125 psi in a 5 gallon bucket of water---had to redo the screw in conection once and reweld it 3 times untill we got NO tiny bubbles--- one side down one to go!  Will then run through the end of the tank and plump ot exactly like the heater is on your car---we will pull water from below the thermostat and return it to the heater return on the water pump inlet. we will also plumb our surge tank into this line the water to the surge tank comes from above the thermostat---the highest place on the eng.

Took advantage of my wife being out of town to run the core through the dish washer to get it nice and clean!  In the upper pict you can barely see the pipe that will stub out through the face of this puppy!!  Today will make a doubler for the AN 16 that will feed the  filter that the pump intake hooks up to.

It looks like it will take 14-15 quarts to fill all the filters and keep the heat exchanger submerged,  just in the tank it will take 12. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:26:27 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #628 on: June 18, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
In special construction one spends a lot of time ---pondering in the morning over coffe and beingenginering in the evening ---waiting for the car to tell you what to do.  Sometimes one gets hung up by mundane things  like brake pedals--I thouhgt I had it last night---then this morning   I pondered up something else---started to the house for more coffee and to catch up on the computer---sat down---got back up went back to the shop with another modification twist---this time I drew it out on the floor---darn  it was so much simpler than any thing I had before---well sorta---when I build it I will take picts---not very fancy looking but very flexible---I think  :-o

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #629 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:47 AM »
DARN---what a werid day  but did get some  :roll: done  :roll: