Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097207 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #585 on: June 05, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
Brakes,  Hopefully I can remove the one way residual pressure  valve later---IF the rear wheel cyls are not higher than the master cyl.

I used the AN system because I was advised it is more flexable  I was pleased with the results  I put clear plastic tubing over the brake line inside the frame tubes frt to rear
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:57:53 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #586 on: June 05, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
Strg box and Wheel inset for scrub radius
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #587 on: June 05, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Strg box and Wheel inset for scrub radius

I think I see a little modification to the steering arms.....???????
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #588 on: June 05, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
Good Eye Dr. G

I moved the strg arm to the top so that I can put the drag link in the wind shadow of the frt axle and the tie rod ends were smaller that the "FORDS" so I just drilled and tapered to the smaller size and it also let them be inside the wheels for the most part  will mount some inner disks later.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #589 on: June 06, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »
Yeah, but a while back you were asking, or is that arksing about a step down for the steering.......I note with interest that you have effectively shortened the steering arm, so I gather you are definitely going to use a step down........?

Tie rod behind axle also means it'll fit nicely into a foil.....

smart work on this job Bill.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
waiting on the u-joints to put the 2:1 in the steering shaft

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #591 on: June 08, 2012, 02:22:16 AM »
Ordered 2- u joints got 1---- after contacting the supplier---2nd one is on the way  --so the front half of the strg is in with the 2:1 tacked in place---

am noodleing on the brake and throttle system-- needs to be adjustable maybe will be able to rough in this weekend---started on the chute release levers  thinking that I am going to set it up so that a backward swipe with the right hand gets the primary chute and the shove  both forward for the secondary or back up chute  no differences other that teather length

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #592 on: June 08, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »
Sparky, are you thinking floor mounted or overhead swing?  The liner is floor mounted and we have 3 different lengths from Amo to Steele... The lakester has floor mounted throttle, about 5 adjustments and the clutch and brake are on a slider rail so infinitely adjustable.  Morse cable on throttle of both, Juice clutch and brake.  I may be able to shoot a few pics this afternoon if you want.
Of course if I know you.... you will have it noodled by then...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #593 on: June 08, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
The brakes will use differnt length rods like you suggested---the throttle cable bounces back and forth between over head and floor---I think that we will go to a version of the different lengh rods to  a rod that sorta is a repeater.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #594 on: June 08, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
The 444 liner has a sliding pedal rack that allows for different drivers. For Ricks daughter there are also bolt on pedal pads. The throttle cable and the brake and clutch master cyls, :along with the hoses have enough flex to allow for all movement. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #595 on: June 08, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
The Liner first... you can see the long leg rod for throttle, the masters for the clutch and brake are behind the pedals.  The bolt you see in front is when we move to the mid-length leg and there are holes that even move it farther back for the Amo position

Excuse the under construction look of the lakester, that front axle is the new one, built last week.  Still putting that part back together.  
The slider for the clutch and brake with 4 clamps.  Like the Vesco car, infinitely adjustable.  

And the throttle set up.... yep lots of holes for movement.  We have several stretcher length rods for the Morse cables in both cars.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:54:30 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #596 on: June 09, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
The Liner first... you can see the long leg rod for throttle, the masters for the clutch and brake are behind the pedals.  The bolt you see in front is when we move to the mid-length leg and there are holes that even move it farther back for the Amo position

Excuse the under construction look of the lakester, that front axle is the new one, built last week.  Still putting that part back together.  
The slider for the clutch and brake with 4 clamps.  Like the Vesco car, infinitely adjustable.  

And the throttle set up.... yep lots of holes for movement.  We have several stretcher length rods for the Morse cables in both cars.

That adjustable slider clamp arrangement in the second photo would worry me. If the clamp boolts loostened jut a little under vibration, you could hit the brake pedal after the 5 and feel it sliding forward....
I'd put a pin in there to limit the slider travel "just in case."

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #597 on: June 09, 2012, 11:50:58 PM »
Neil, never hit the brake so I wouldn't worry about that at all  :-o  Brakes are for the pits and speeds under 50.... Al Teague described using the brakes over 200 like stepping on a ripe plum... when you first step on it you can tell it was there, but then all the sudden it's gone. 
There are 4 individual clamp bolts, any 1 of them will keep the slider in place.  It has never loosened in the 12 years it has been in that configuration, but if it slipped, the clutch would be missed way more than the brake. 
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #598 on: June 10, 2012, 01:46:34 AM »
Stainless;

"It has never loosened in the 12 years it has been in that configuration..."

Maybe the Bonneville salt will corrode it in place  :-)

I'd still put a pin in there.

...as they said aboard the Hindenburg, "We never had that problem before...."

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: June 12, 2012, 12:30:16 AM »
Geez,  you guys must have confused my pea brain---I have been pondering my brakes and throttle off and on for 3 days---finally I punted and started installing the actuall cables. They proved to be less confusing.  Then I tried the fuel lines and mfuel shutoff---it is failing to comutate with me!!!  lol