Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097290 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #525 on: May 02, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »
Clamped the lathed chuck to the table, centered the holes with an offset punch,  lowered th table and put our "ADAPTOR" in place and drilled the 1/2 inch holes to 17/32"  will installed the studs WED am..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LbvnoIDkE

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:43:24 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #526 on: May 02, 2012, 01:24:50 AM »
trial fit---turns out the seat belts are wrong we will send the back so that we can pull UP on the belts to tighten!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:37:45 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #527 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Nice pictures, Bill- thanks for posting them.

It might make it easier to exit the car if you weld some handles on the chassis tubes so you can pull yourself forward.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #528 on: May 02, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
Neil, we will have to have a secondary leg restraint that comes across our thighs to retain our legs--on the old car we were able to use that very effectively.  Time will tell, so far we are able to get out easier than the old car.  BUT  there is now no doubt we are all going to have to take that mean old woman into our homes for the next few months---JENNY CRAIG!!!  :cry:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #529 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
I'm getting claustrophobia just looking at those pictures! :-o
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #530 on: May 02, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
I know people have joked about how tight it is in the drivers compartment, but seeing you in there makes me feel it is much safer to be snug, almost as though you are putting the race car on, rather then just entering it. I admire the safety aspects you put into your build. I can see me referring back to this build in the archives in the future. I will look forward to stopping by the shop next month.

Bill

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #531 on: May 03, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
Bill,  Look forward to seeing you,  lets just hope we get a plemainary approval at EL M in a little over 2 weeks

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #532 on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
Sparky - -

I will sliently tell the EL M angels to give your rocket an AOK-so far, approval. My fingers will be crossed.

All of your work sure keeps my attention on the build pictures and explanations. You are giving me an education I wanted years ago.

Bill

BTW, so far you get my approval and this note from the Principal to put on the refrigerator. I am a retired Vo-Tech Principal.  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #533 on: May 05, 2012, 12:22:36 AM »
I had a good day in a strange sort of way---My front hubs are DONE including drilling holes for the cotter pin through the shortened frt spindle---I almost cut one off to short it will have to have a single leg through the hole instead of a two---Terry says he has dust caps coming---I found a spring kit for the rear brakes so I can finish those  ---soon  MC  Doug R.  made paper doll paterns for the other side panels Tues. so I need to Plasma cut them and tack them---we will be cutting this puppy off the jig before we know it---I have to get it on wheels  so that I can take a pict for the B'ville program!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: May 08, 2012, 07:55:35 AM »
Plan on cutting it off the jig today balance it on a shorty axle to be able to roll it out of the back yard into the street to be able to turn it around then back into the shop upside down to finish welding the bottom then on to jack stands for some serious "BRACKET RACING"

Offline Jon

« Reply #535 on: May 08, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »
Obviously we will get some pics of this Sparky? :)

Sorry to drag up an old question but I'm going to measure up and order belts from Strouds to bundle with my pilot chutes and save some postage.

I haven't used anything more complex than a 5 point harness before.

Looks like you have the lap belt (1&2) and crotch straps (5&6) going to the same mount, just put the lap points in the normal spot so belt runs across the hip bones right down to rail level and measure the underleg ones to suit?

Sparky----- [ This is correct Jon and the crotch straps are adjustable also. I made the  attach bracket long enough so that the adjust  buckle is almost vertical without binding and I put it inside and the lap belt outside of the  attach point.]

You are running bolt ends for the lap, crotch and straight ahead (1,2,5,6 &7) belts and wrap arounds for the shoulder straps (3,4,8&9) any particular reason for that? Do you put anything on the cross tubes to keep the belts in the right sideways position? 

Sparky ----  {I had plenty of room for the cross bars and wanted more cross members any way.}

Do the lower shoulder straps (3&4) come through the gap in your seat back or behind the top part and then over your shoulder? 

Sparky---YES they could go either way  and as soon as we finish in the next day or two I will update this

Thanks
jon

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:14:03 PM by SPARKY »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #536 on: May 08, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
Jon,  I will go point by point but consider how you want the harness to tighten.  I need down on my shoulder straps and UP on my lap belts for  a reclining position

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #537 on: May 08, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
a real milestone: 

Free at last, free at last thank God almighty FREE at last
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:02:39 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #538 on: May 08, 2012, 06:53:41 PM »
update

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #539 on: May 08, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
 more