Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097512 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #510 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
Bill;

Your tie-rod looks just fine; you cut the ends at a diagonal so the stress will not be concentrated at one point and added rosettes for good measure. Don't worry about it.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #511 on: April 29, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
Sparky, the design looks to be in line with generally accepted practice and I wouldn't worry about that.
Check my PM for further suggestions.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #512 on: April 29, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
No worky for me. Early Ford hubs do not have enough meat for the knurl depth. Thanks anyway, always love beer trades.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #513 on: April 29, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »
will up date later
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #514 on: April 29, 2012, 09:49:21 PM »
Anyone have a recomendation as to a sprint car strg quickener that seems to work well in reverse---this puppy is QUICK  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #515 on: April 29, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »
Sparky,

Look at the 2-1 HOWE unit. It's what I put in my car.

Here is a link to Speedway.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Howe-Steering-Quickeners,24447.html

The 7.5 axle is getting it's gears this week!

Skip
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #516 on: April 29, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »
Anyone have a recomendation as to a sprint car strg quickener that seems to work well in reverse---this puppy is QUICK  :roll:

Bite the bullet....get some longer steering arms, you could mock some up to work out how much longer.....those ones look a bit flimsy anyway :-D :-D
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #517 on: April 29, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

I used the same quickener in our liner.
Great minds think alike? Lol!
Those steering rods should be fine.
The silicon bronze filler was probably a good idea as the lower temps will have less effect on components than welding.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Jon

« Reply #518 on: April 30, 2012, 12:43:53 AM »
Do you have enough room for duplex chain and sprockets Sparky?
That way you can set the ratio that you want rather than what you get, you can also fine tune the ratio layer if you need.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: April 30, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »
Well I was up in the middle of the nignt so I went to the shop to set up the mill to drill the holes for the wheel studs.  drilled my test holes in a piece of 3/8 with the 9/16---probabaly will not work, not enough knurl bite --off to the shop today to buy the correct drill for the original studs..

Thanks for all of your feed back on the tie rods--this is what so great about this site there are folks that will usually end up on both sides and that gives one a HEADS up to rethink, reavaluate, and the one gets to make a "englightend" decision  lol  seriously thanks for the pros and cons  I feel confortable about our decision and especially about Marty skills who did the actual welding on this part!!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #520 on: April 30, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »
Sparky,
I used the Howe quickner box on my little modified street roadster, mounted it  backward to slow the steering down and probably have 5000 miles on it with no trouble.  I like the fact that you are putting the steering rod in the aero "shadow" of the front axle are you planning to do any other type of streamlining of the front axle and steering rod?

Rex
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:47:50 PM by SPARKY »
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #521 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:50 PM »
Rex,  eventually we will and it may happen this year---but the number one objective is get a car DOWN the course, and FEEL that chute as DF talked about in the flick narated by Dr. G 

Offline Podunk

« Reply #522 on: May 01, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
One way to eliminate concern about the welds on tie rods is to eliminate welds. How about 4140 quenched & tempered round bar. EZ to do. Call me.

Terry

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #523 on: May 01, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »
Terry,  Thanks for your offer---Others are concerned---AEN says "What me worry".

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #524 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
Another good day in the shop  picts and naration to follow!!