Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097425 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
Rex;

1/2" wheel studs are kind of small, aren't they?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Tman

« Reply #496 on: April 27, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
Just a note: 17/32 dia drill is not an uncommon drill size. It happens to be the recommended drill size for clearance for a 1/2 inch diameter bolt. I know most of us use a 1/2 inch drill for a 1/2 inch bolt but if your drill press is like mine the hole comes out .010 inch larger so the 1/2 inch bolt goes through.
Rex

We must have the same press!? :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #497 on: April 27, 2012, 06:07:33 PM »
I ordered some of those Speedway 5/8  before I was smart enought to check how a 5/8 fit my wheels---not   :-o  only as a last resort will I mangle my Taylor Mades
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:43:28 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #498 on: April 27, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
I ordered some of those Speedway 5/8  before I was smart enought to check how a 5/8 fity my wheels---not   :-o  only as a last resort will I mangle my Taylor Mades

I may be able to take those off your hands, let me look tonight

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #499 on: April 27, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
if they do--- payable in beer at the Salt Talks!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #500 on: April 27, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »
Bill;

In circle track racing, 5/8" wheel studs are standard. Virtually all stock car wheels are made to fit 5/8" studs, usually 5 on a 5" circle.

Offline Tman

« Reply #501 on: April 28, 2012, 01:24:34 AM »
Sparky, I think we have a deal. PM me your addy and I will send shippings costs! :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #502 on: April 28, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »
Well I had a great 1 1/2 hours ---after dancing around dealing with my steering tie rods  I went to the shop this morning got out the cut off wheel whacked them--whacked the tubing I bought into 6.5 inches went to the lathe to counter bore the ends to the steeering rod sizes .500 on one end and .45 on the other wire brushed the paint off  now I have to drill the 6 small holes for the rosette welds on each tube and walla  the wheels  will turn when I turn the strg wheel--- :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #503 on: April 28, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
shoulder pads

tie rods

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #504 on: April 29, 2012, 01:15:01 AM »
Thought about Magnafluxing those tie rods Sparky? I`d do it if it were me, and I weld up Cars and stuff for a living........just saying.... :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: April 29, 2012, 01:44:56 AM »
What should I look for :? 

I thought that magfluxing identified cracks?  These are a mild steel dom sleeves that are cut at a diag.on both ends, tig welded on the diag cut ends, and has 2 rosetts on the 1.75' insert that was a mild interference fit and the other has a 2.5" insert overlap with 3 rosettes, the weld filler was silicone bronze.  These extensions only have to function in tension and compresion.

What am I missing??--- I am not trying to be a WA!  The only way that this process could have been improved on would be to gas weld it, instead of tig it with the info that I posses.

Coaching Comments please!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:21:30 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #506 on: April 29, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »
BEER BAIT   :-D :cheers:   :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #507 on: April 29, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »
I think he's saying to mag them for cracks/micro cracks. When we weld on our derricks, we X-ray the welds the first time, then have to mag them to get re-certifications. On non-load bearing stuff, we are required to mag new welds.

I think having your welds magged would be overkill, but that's JMHO. It sure wouldn't hurt, of course, to be positive they're perfect, as that is a criticle part!

Looks great!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:15:50 AM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #508 on: April 29, 2012, 10:13:31 AM »
Hey, i have the same caliper! I will check tonight but I think those are the ones I need. At the office right now.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #509 on: April 29, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
Cousin Paul is right Sparky, I'm looking sideways at that thing too. It looks like you wacked off a stock tie rod & welded a tube in it. Irrelevant to the quality of your welds, the weak points are at the weld on the ends.
It might have been better to machine up a screw on sleave to extend it.
  Sid.