Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097691 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #480 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58:17 AM »
just back

01 the side armor is 12 guage hot roll .109

02  I was very pleased to see the heat tracks on this .109 12 guage  if we have these that means we have the heat almost perfect for .120 which is what most of what we are doing!!

03 is the actual weld

04 final results and why I am so pleased tonight--I will get the new helment out to verify it fits the same:

----SAFER note   Without a 9 point harness I would not build this with 1/2 of the allowed clearance, I would be afraid that my body could move sideways too much in a rollover---also note this has not been signed off on!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:44:23 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #481 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:34 AM »
more

05 showing the tie rods in the wind shadow of the frt axle

06 showing the attachment of the frt of the helment -side to side restraint the actual bar is 3/16"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:26:27 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #482 on: April 25, 2012, 01:09:21 AM »
Looks good!  I know you are running a BBC bit I forgot how wide is the engine bay?  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: April 25, 2012, 01:14:07 AM »
Tony the diameter of the hoops are 30" aBBC 9.8 deck height is 24" wide at the headers plates-- we are going to try to get the headers inside if we can

The intake system is going to stick above the tank 6-8" to top of intake scoop

07  rack and pinion and the master cyl.

08 looking forward

09 steering shaft held by a short piece of tube that is slightly larger than shaft--this can be removed

10  this is real close to the position of the strg shaft when finished
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:13:36 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #484 on: April 26, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
SS 1  we will next be working on the  steering:

After we finished the helment pads Tues.  Joey suggested shoulder pads and we though they were a good idea ---  I got an email from one Mr. B expressing concern about my "clavicle cleaver"  we neither one think that it is possible for the harness to stretch that much---but the shoulder pads are going in!!

Also made at trip to the parts house and asked for the wheel stud catalouge---strange look from the young guy old chick walked behind the shel and handed over a Dorman book and said make yoursef at home call me when you need assistance---most wheel stud a designed to fit a weird size drill bit like 17/32 or such---well I found one that will work with a 9/16th drill .562  and was 2 3/8" which we need longer that the std 2" with our big 1" lug nuts and Taylor Made wheels---only problem  only 1 in Phoenix

Offline Geo

« Reply #485 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »
Sparky,

Thanks for the build fix today!  :cheers:

neither one think that it is possible for the harness to stretch that much

Not so fast. I know you are in a reclining position however all directions are possible in an impact and belts stretch more than you think. Photos at this link and a video on the site too.

http://www.schroth.com/installation-instructions/en/index.html

Geo

Offline Tman

« Reply #486 on: April 26, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
SS 1  we will next be working on the  steering:

After we finished the helment pads Tues.  Joey suggested shoulder pads and we though they were a good idea ---  I got an email from one Mr. B expressing concern about my "clavicle cleaver"  we neither one think that it is possible for the harness to stretch that much---but the shoulder pads are going in!!

Also made at trip to the parts house and asked for the wheel stud catalouge---strange look from the young guy old chick walked behind the shel and handed over a Dorman book and said make yoursef at home call me when you need assistance---most wheel stud a designed to fit a weird size drill bit like 17/32 or such---well I found one that will work with a 9/16th drill .562  and was 2 3/8" which we need longer that the std 2" with our big 1" lug nuts and Taylor Made wheels---only problem  only 1 in Phoenix

You got that Dorman PN? I have th Dorman book but that might save me a little searching.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:50:28 PM by Tman »

Offline Geo

« Reply #487 on: April 26, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
I used late model Ford Mustang front studs.  Got the 17/32 drill bit at NAPA.

Geo

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #488 on: April 27, 2012, 12:42:38 AM »
in the shop will get it in the AM--

I worked some in the shop today---cutting and fitting flat pad---Andy got home around 7:00 pm and I climbed in with the new helment to locate the "shoulder pads" a --nd got a great feel for where we will have to go with the addtional pad mountings  we are on track to Full Suit trial fit on Tuesday!! that will tell us where the shifter and maybe the fire bottle pulls!!!  Sports fans this is begining to get exciting--for I asked my wife to cut the $425.00  check to BNI for SPEEDWEEK!!!!!!! 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:54:18 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #489 on: April 27, 2012, 02:18:29 AM »
Sports fans this is begining to get exciting--for I asked my wife to cut the $425.00  check to BNI for SPEEDWEEK!!!!!!! 

Woo-Hoo!

He puttin money where his mouth is   :cheers:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #490 on: April 27, 2012, 06:12:59 AM »
Good news! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #491 on: April 27, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »
climbed in with the new helment last night, and Andy noted where we will have to put the Shoulder Pads---the drivers area of this thing is going to be intresting when we get thouugh with it  :? or will it be  :-o  only time will tell---steering today I should be able to get in 4.5 hrs this morning

T-M  I will trial fit the studs to see how that goes!!  if I dont I will break down and order the 17/32 drill bit  :-(

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #492 on: April 27, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
Bill;

Have a look at the Speedway Motors website http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search-wheel-studs.html They have a 0.672" drill for their 5/8" wheel studs there for $9.99.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Jon

« Reply #493 on: April 27, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
Looking good, must feel good to be paying dues to run  :cheers:

I looked for studs that fitted a "normal" sized drill bit, then decided to buy a 17/32 drill bit.

Figured it was better to have a drill bit that I hardly used than trying to search for oddball studs if I ever needed replacements.

I have a set of studs in my spares box in case I need them, they also fit my trailer hubs and probably a few other vehicles on the salt.

My 2 cents
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #494 on: April 27, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
Just a note: 17/32 dia drill is not an uncommon drill size. It happens to be the recommended drill size for clearance for a 1/2 inch diameter bolt. I know most of us use a 1/2 inch drill for a 1/2 inch bolt but if your drill press is like mine the hole comes out .010 inch larger so the 1/2 inch bolt goes through.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.