Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097212 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2012, 02:02:09 AM »
Jon,  I think I will normalize the welds on the joints themselves  hadn't thought about doing the  hoop to tube joints again but that might not be a bad idea.  We had a magnetic level on the tube before, during and after  through out the process trying to keep things the same.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2012, 10:59:13 AM »
Fuel Roadsters

At the Gear Grinders banquet I spent a good bit of time with Chauvin Emmons , no longer jr as his dad is no longer with us as he brought me up to speed with his /BFRMR after the fire at B'ville

Skip Pipes came by Thursday Am -- we had a great visit, went to Bruch . We were in the shop most of the time with the Thud Spud  and he brought me up to speed on his   F/BFR---  plans on running E85 and plans on running this season

After Sip left I went to pick up a small piece of 1 5/8 tubing for the Thud Spud and on the way back stopped by Al E to follow his progress with his change over to A Toyota hemi  in which he plans on running this season

Friday  Francis from Oro Valley AZ who works for Rons Fuel Injection a dropped by and brought me up to speed on his Honda powered
 G/FR  plans on running alky this season . 

Skips and Francis cars or both new built from scratch cars..

To FRs    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #467 on: April 10, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
Shop day:

Installed the conectors to drop out the tubes

Getting ready to SIZE the canopy  hole

cut out and reinstalled the rear axle to make it easier to remove when necessary

Put the front skin on to get ready for the "Body Counselor" to advise on the rear body construction
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:18:14 PM by SPARKY »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #468 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
Sparky,
Would you say this car was bigger or smaller overall than Radical?
It's a shame about Santorum backing out yesterday. It broke my heart.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #469 on: April 11, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »
T Spud is about the same---it is all about trying to cover a BBC & exhaust system  really very little diffrence but SHAPE because the sq. ft. required to cover a BBC is about the same  the old car ran efi and the headers were outside.  the top of the TB was about 32" agl.

This year I am running a Dominator with spacers so the carb top will be about carb top and air intake scoop will be taller than the old car  only the great white dyno will tell us.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #470 on: April 20, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
Tueday night Andy and I had a session of liquid enduced engineering as to the sequence we need to more or less finish before the trip to EL M in may for a pelim. inspection, and to get a new log book.

I have been in contact Lee Kennedy and Kiwi Steve. requarding Special Construction rules and saftey. Guys and gals the new 9 point harness brings some new saftey to the table but it also brings LIMITATIONS.  I have been impressed with their open attitude as we try to bring a competive, SAFE, new car to the start line.

Fast is good, safe makes it better!  :cheers:

Our goal is to have cut off the weld table and on the ground by MAY 1, :cry: BHO favorite day!!!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #471 on: April 21, 2012, 09:07:52 AM »
See you in May, Sparky!

Maybe you could introduce me to this 'liquid induced engineering' you speak of! :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #472 on: April 21, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »
Just remember no glass bottles, cans have more scrap value.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jon

« Reply #473 on: April 21, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
Guys and gals the new 9 point harness brings some new saftey to the table but it also brings LIMITATIONS. 

Our goal is to have cut off the weld table and on the ground by MAY 1, :cry: BHO favorite day!!!

Will be a big day to be on it's wheels  :cheers:

Could you share some more on the LIMITATIONS please?
Is the 9 point on the road to becoming mandatory?
I am planning to use 7 point and don't want to knowingly build in something that needs changing.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #474 on: April 21, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »
Jon,  The 9 point just really LOCKS ones upper torso down--no longer can one move around in the harnnes --you are limited to the arm movement -- the shoulder sockett does not move---shifters, switches, chute releases, fire bottles actuators, ect must be a good bit closer than before!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:53:39 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Jon

« Reply #475 on: April 21, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
Thanks Sparky.

Any noise on mandating 9 points over there?
Our rules follow yours.

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #476 on: April 21, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
Jon,

To get the correct angle of the straps if one is using the Hybrid PRO helment restraint system (which lots of folks are going to because it is easier to deal with) you then do not get near as much longtitudial restraint as one needs---so 2 more straps with very different attach points:  one set pulls 90 degrees to your spine straight off your shoulder topsand the other pulls parallel to your spine  which means the attachment point must be below your shoulder blades.   :-P

if nothing else just put the attachments bars in there an you will be covered---in a semi>full reclining they will most likely EVENTUALLY be required  IMO

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #477 on: April 22, 2012, 01:58:07 AM »
Things are heating up in the bracket racing scene:  I am working toward a rolling, steerable, legale cockpit for EL M and my first meeting with the scruitneers!!

I am having to make lots of small brackets with lots of adptations ---am also having to order several small things, wheel studs ect and need to buy or build a butterfly steering wheel this is so exciting all of the endless hours staring at it and drawing with the 1/4" square pads are begining to be realized there have been several cutout and redo, changing of the minds more sessions with the liquid inspired engineers.

Am really close to have all of the steering fabricated with abunch of used strg. shafts from various donors!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:54:26 PM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #478 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
changing of the minds more sessions with the liquid inspired engineers.

We call that bingeneering.... :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #479 on: April 24, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
WOW!!  what a red letter day!!!

Joey and I concentrated on the helmet restraint system!  we cut some 3/16x3" strap 12 inches wide and installed and gusseted them and then taped the flat pad to the bars for testing---wallah----hard to believe   they were nice and snug as we had planned nearly a year ago-- We stood a around and marveled---we could not believe it was so functional and we could still could get in and out without the fire suit---that test will come soon!!This is the most pleased I have felt in the whole build!!!

After he left at 2;30 I worked on the strg.. Dave is going to build the butterfly dragster type wheel.   We ordered some rool bar padding from DJ  we will install it and then install all the harness---with Pro-Hybrid  for the ultimate test---can we still get in and out of this thing... Rip my neighbor from down the street came over this afternoon and said  its time to call the framing inspector and as soon as you get it signed off---its time to call the electrician and plumbers----Guys I am beat  I will take picts soon and post but now its off to the shower!!