Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097698 times)

Offline Tman

Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #450 on: March 21, 2012, 01:08:07 AM »
Sparky, hard to tell but what thickness is that plating for the "drivers box"?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #451 on: March 21, 2012, 02:11:32 AM »
1/4"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jon

« Reply #452 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
That's some serious metalwork Sparky.

You going closed or open tail?

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: March 21, 2012, 08:03:16 AM »
mostly open, although above and below the chute tubes I MAY close and fair to a pointy end

The shape we are using generated about 200# lift at 300 so we are going to make the fairings so that they will resopnd to changing the angle of attack; but we also wanted to make it as resistant to torsional twisting as possible with a fairly narrow frame---hence the very heavy plating on 3 sides up front.  Also Mr. Burkland encouraged me to keep the pod small so that the "peas" couldn't rattle around much in the event of "happenings"..  someday depending on health and ect  we wish to add a little mechanically induced decrease in Density Altitude---aka hair driers
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:49:30 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #454 on: March 24, 2012, 07:48:59 AM »
Friday Andy and I picked up the new front "shoes" for the baby at Nate Jones's Cowboy Tire Co.  Wow has the price of "POKER" gone up---it seems like one must pay to play  lol

We will be taking as good a care of thes things to make them LAST  I only bought 2 even though I had Marsh make me 3 wheels---the spare will have to wait!!  We have a car to finish and the body I am sure will take some serious "coin" to finish!!  Going to the Gear Grinders annual get-to-gather!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:01:46 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #455 on: March 24, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »
Lokin Good Sparky, Keep the info come'n. beyween you guys and the other fine (?) folks here my library is filling up. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: March 27, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »
We had a good day in the shop---computer down---no picts--

mounted the frt axle

modified the SpeedWay steering lower arms to work on the upper holes and modified the hubs by cutting off the lower strg. arms  we will soon have the frt axle together---we may soon have a roller :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #457 on: March 27, 2012, 11:23:35 PM »
here they are!  geeze you would think that as many of these as I've done I would be able to get it right the first time ..

Note:  the Axle is only removeable side ways after the 4 1/2" bolts are removed; it is trapped vertically against the axle above by the tubing protuding through the "Battery Basher" and the 3/8" mounting bracket at the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:39:15 AM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #458 on: March 28, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
Based on past success, and the quality of the build, this will be one to see! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #459 on: April 04, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
We had a pretty good day yesterday---Welded in the bulkhead --we will now be able to start "brackett racing" the fuel tank, radiator in a box, and the dry sump tank fire bottles. 

I normalized with a rose bud all the joints in the eng bay especially the one we are going to put the removable "joints" in---picts to follow

Skip called andwill be in town today and Thurs. morning--- we should be able to break bread together

Offline Tman

« Reply #460 on: April 04, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
Sparky, I am working on my front axle right now as well, are you making any provision to change caster? And what caster are you shooting for?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #461 on: April 04, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
6 deg  not really any provision for caster change other than cutting the 10 HARD spot welds that hold the axle to the bracketts  could be done by shimming the flat bracket I guess!!  The only reason I but 6 deg     was  I guess some is expected

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #462 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:53 PM »
Yesterday;

you can see the heat lines from the normalizing the joints with a rose bud tip---when we cut the tube it stayed straight!!

We will now install the connectors in the other two tubes we are putting them in!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:49:55 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #463 on: April 04, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
hubs:

you can see where we had to grind the ridge out of the back of the spindle so that it would clear the Speedway axle--

-also note where we cut the lower steering arm off and we will  the install the Speedway arms that we have modified to mount on top so that we can get the steering rods in the wind shadow of the frt axle!!

will post pictures of the modified strg. arms soon
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:56:13 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Jon

« Reply #464 on: April 05, 2012, 01:37:52 AM »
Looking Good Sparky.

For your removable joints did you normalize the tube, cut and fit one joiner, normalize the tube again and cut and fit the second joiner?

Thanks
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3