Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097682 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #390 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:22 PM »
Woody is doing this stuff  I just finally figure out how to copy to this site!!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:12:44 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #391 on: February 23, 2012, 11:43:32 PM »
Had a pretty good day in the shop got 1/2 done what I needed to.  We have some more room in the drivers area but I still think that Andy is going to have a NEW house guest-- :evil: --Jenny Craig  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2012, 10:17:33 AM »
Sparky, we all need Jenny  :-D 
Corey couldn't fit in the lakester 3 years ago... without the fire suit... over beers at WoS 09 he said he would love to drive at Bonneville... someday... the answer was easy, if you can fit you can drive... the car wasn't getting larger so he got smaller.  By Speedweek he was over 50 lbs lighter for his rookie pass.  This Speedweek I think he is at -65 or so... although he was pretty swelled up when Dan handed him a hat.
Motivation

Had a pretty good day in the shop got 1/2 done what I needed to. 

That is a really good day... you got something done
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
Dave came at 8:30 Motorcycle Doug Robinson at 9:00 Joey at 9:30 John at 10:30---took us almost 1:30 hours to get the weld jig plum and level and the uprights back on.  Then we drilled out the exact center from the circular frt end plat and ran a string through the farme and spent another hour getting everything just right and hard tacked the nose---we will now beging finish weld on lots of things we can get at from flat then we will rotate....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
now that we are as true and straight as we can make it we will finnish the drivers area.  The seat and floor are 1/4' plate---the plazma cutter made this much more enjoyable
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:18:30 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
Looking good Sparky! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:55 PM »
Thanks,  I was able to pick up a good bit of space inside the hip area with a slight loss of "CORONA" as PP says.  WE will be final welding as much of the front stuff in front of the first hoop as we can and we need to tweak the rear axle about 3/16" inch to get the center of the pinion Spot ON :|

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #397 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »
Well yesterday we we were taking the mock up apart we were able to take the heads of and drop the block between the rails.  Someone asked me if we designed it that way :? DIIK  I suffer from CRS!! :-P

Offline Jon

« Reply #398 on: February 29, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Looking good Sparky, CRS must be a northern hemisphere version of CRAFT?

Is heads off and between the bottom rails the only way out for the motor?

Thought you mentioned some removable rails.

I'm making up some joiners for removable rails, basically a split piece of solid with 2 shoulder bolts that is spigoted into the rails.

If you have removable rails could you post a pic of your joiners please?

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: February 29, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
Jon we are going to hard weld every thing then when we have a roller and start installing the heavy stuff we will cut them out install everything then Weld the couplings.

UPDATE---After all the weight is in---otherwise you may have to pick up on the chassis  last time we had to put our weight on the lower rail to get it out.  with the interlock type ethier try to make sure their is no weld pull or make allowance for it and tack in four spots and make sure they come in and out and weld a little at a time-----we did one 3 times on the old car before we got it useable.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:20:19 PM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #400 on: February 29, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
Sparky, not only does the work look first class, but the progress seems to be fast and furious, while still well planned!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Jon

« Reply #401 on: February 29, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
Good info thanks Sparky, better plan than I had.

You making or buying the couplings?

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #402 on: February 29, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »
"Looking good Sparky, CRS must be a northern hemisphere version of CRAFT? "

I don't know but I suspect that it may lead to it!!

Bought----The uppers will be mostly in compression and the bolts are not in shear in compression. I would have been confortable making those.  the mid rail coupling I would buy again as the 2 bolts are only used to hold the interlock together and are not in shear at all
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:14:56 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Tman

« Reply #403 on: February 29, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »
Like the quote AND the blog Sparky :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: February 29, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words---

about the build speed----Andy says we have never been in the position of having to wait on us and the car  :cheers: