Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097430 times)

Offline jpm49c

Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #360 on: February 13, 2012, 08:47:58 AM »
Someone?

Tueday we will put someone inside to mark where we are going to cut the canopy

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #361 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »
Well either John or myself as he has offered and he is going to be the lead canopy guy.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #362 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
"...asured her that I would not use any  power tools."

I'll guess that's so you wouldn't be making enough noise to wake Linda or the neighbors.  So what'd you do -- you took a BFH and whapped the dickens out of the tank.  Silent hammer? :evil: :evil:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:46:39 PM by SPARKY »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jpm49c

« Reply #363 on: February 13, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
Well i guess that would be ME.   John 
Well either John or myself as he has offered and he is going to be the lead canopy guy.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: February 13, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
Silent hammer?   :-P   well now that you mention it both Andy and Linda said they heard noise  :roll:

Well I was right it took four ratchett straps and slapping the tank with a not so silent hammer to get it off and it was somewhat noisy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:48:43 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »
Well, well, well---we finally have the tank on the frame nose---we have actually put some on into it with the RUFF inner panels---we have made a creature comfort decision.  We are going to cut out some tubes and make new ones with 1.75" that are "tweaked"  :-P to provide the max. interior space.

Old FAT boys need all the love and ROOM they can get. :cheers:

Offline Tman

« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
Pictures or it did not happen!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #367 on: February 15, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »
there was not a photo opportunity---YET---we will install some "temp." brackets and drill 3 temp mounting holes so that we can get repeatability: as we trial fit the skins and modify the inner panels---they will be completed before we modify the outer skin or build the  required new panels 

Did commit major coin  :-o to Nate Jones for 2 new 21" Goodyears seems the 22" M/Ts are not available. I had bought 3 wheels but the tire prices had almost doubled so i will not have a spare at first  :-(

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: February 15, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
John sent this!  We have decided to more or less completely finish the front end before we cut the hole for the canopy.  This thing will need more biengenginering time before it tells us for sure what it wants!!!

You can see the diagional lower tube that we want to kickout to touch the skin to pick up additional room for us OFGs
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:26:11 PM by SPARKY »

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #369 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »
Looks like the rocket I use to play in back when I was a kid.

Hope you guys have fun too Sparky.....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #370 on: February 15, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
lol  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #371 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
Well I had a long day in the shop yesterday!  Thanks to Sumner's build (" the quality of my brackets went up when I got a plazma cutter") and John who has a friend that is closing out his shop  I now have a Thermal Dymatics 50.

I had to hard wire the compressor---so that I could run them both---only something that I had thought about for 2 years when I moved it to it present location.  Then Josiah, a neighbor from down the street who was out wandering modified an exsisting piece for a cart.

We will get hard on finishing the cockpit and making new mounting brackets for the front axle.  We now will be able to make nice fitment for the 1/4" seat plates and nose plates.  The brake stuff came in and we will noodle the adjustable brake and throttle pedals, and make the lap belt brackets.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »

Sparky, Looks like a very interesting and fun  build, I am always looking for your updates.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2012, 12:04:21 PM »
Thanks Tony,  Sometimes I stand in awe and sometimes  I just stand and stare.  I have been just standing since we were able to get the tank all the way on.  Today I am going to modify  an idea I learned from John. He cut a profiling pattern of the inside of his Crosley.

I am going to take some stiff wire and bend it to the outside of the tube profile and then tack it to the frame and see if the tank will still slide over it with out touching before I CUT out the present tubes.  I hope my idea works better than I think i expressed it.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #374 on: February 19, 2012, 07:37:26 PM »
Looks like things are progressing nicely!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com