Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097657 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL>aka >> The Texas Tater>>> The Thud Spud
« Reply #345 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »
you ain't muckin' around are ya,....this is gonna be one mast build and one fighty mast car.....

what? :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: February 08, 2012, 09:35:05 AM »
sorry for the delay. This shot make the car nose look longer than is actually is but this is the angle I could get it all in last night.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:36:58 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #347 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
Sparky, which end is the nose  :evil:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #348 on: February 08, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
 :cheers:  This week end we saw some nose art that was on the Green Monster # 5  we think it will give our Thud Spud the approiate "Wild Weassel" look!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:38:48 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #349 on: February 08, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
Looks fast already! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #350 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:06 PM »
Green Monster # 5---looks like the mak'ins of a "Wild Weasel"  :-o to me

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: The Thud Spud
« Reply #351 on: February 09, 2012, 10:58:13 PM »
Got all of the brake parts noodled out---low and behold---the Speedway catalog had and error and it scrambled my pea brain---seems like there was a misprint about male and female fittings and adaptors---but we will order all the brake parts Fri. am. :cheers:

We got'er done  brown Santa will be here next week with all the brake parts!!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:51:23 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: February 11, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
Tomorrow will be a big day we will decide on just how much  :? of the big end to cut off---we will use the cut off parts to make the parts of the car that will seldom be removed  an upper and lower eng bay and maybe some under the rear axle we also should make more of the drivers floor.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #353 on: February 11, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
Man, between yous guys and Tman I'm getting alot of good ideas for our next build, whatever it will be. Diggin' the info. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #354 on: February 11, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Man, between yous guys and Tman I'm getting alot of good ideas for our next build, whatever it will be. Diggin' the info. :cheers:

Man, don't take ideas from me, i am just making my schitt up! :wink: :-D

But seriously, I wish more folks would document their construction. It can only help ALL OF US!!! :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
I had good afternoon in the shop---Andy was under the weather, when I climbed in the tank again, I got my neighbor down the street to watch out for me in case I hurt myself.  Here is some of what I whacked off!! :cheers:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:38:20 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: February 12, 2012, 09:37:13 PM »
Tueday we will put someone inside to mark where we are going to cut the canopy

Offline Tman

« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
I like to see the progress! :cheers:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #358 on: February 13, 2012, 12:57:12 AM »
....cutting out the internal stuff had it's moments with our tank, being Aluminium and having a bit of titanium in there too they used various types of fasteners and adhesives, some of them were shall we say unpleasant when they got hot....I dunno whether some of the spars were glued in place and then riveted after the glue dried or what but there were some times whe were cutting that thing and the smoke coming off it was badddddddddd :-o :-o :-o :-o

All looks very good Bill, day after day you get stuff done, it's great to watch.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:44 AM »
Guys, what a joy it is to have others that have been on this journey before and those that a just watching and learning.  I encourage all to have the same frustations and joys  I had both in a short peorid of time.   Last night I could not get the tank over the frame where i need it to go.  :cry:

Woke up 2 hours ago and woke up my wife and told her I was going to the shop---asured her that I would not use and  power tools.  It had come to me in my sleep that just because there was a seam that apeared to be on top may not mean it was.  With the help of 2 ratchet straps (the LSR bodymans friends)  I got the tank back off.  Rotated it to where the drain was on the very bottom and the seam was slightly off and tried again.

This time with 3 ratchet straps pulling on and a huge wood block and a BIG hammer  it now resides where I wanted it.  When I lengthed the cage 2" longer to help keep my arms in I didn't quite drop the frt hoop enough---you can just see where it is on the outside of the tank skin.  We have a lomg way to go but we hear the renlentless rustle of the calander pages as they turn, bringing us ever closer to SPEEDWEEK and the hoped for shake down runs and qualifying for the LONG COURSE :cheers: