Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097629 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL>aka >> The Texas Tater>>> The Thud Spud
« Reply #330 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »
WE had a greaat day in the shop!!

Dave came at 8:00 am, we we worked out the particulars on the dry sump tank.  I will go go buy the steel and bend it up for our 5.5"x18"x22" tank. It took us a while to noodle out the water line we are going to run through the tank. WE will be able to continue to pre heat the eng oil with the eng water---Thank you Dave Dahlgren for the great idea!!

Joey came at 9:30m and we got the rear axle bracketts, aligned and tacked!

John, attacked the what will be come the nose of the THUD SPUD---does any one know what the paint scheme of a REAL thud Spud was---we guessed that it was baby blue on the bottom and Camo on top!!

We are thinking in terms of an athuentic paint scheme with a "BOMBER BABE" nose art!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #331 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:10 PM »
http://www.burrusspta.org/105graphics.html
http://www.burrusspta.org/105graphics2.html
One at the bottom here: http://www.vectorsite.net/avf105.html

Squadrons and logos here: http://reocities.com/Pentagon/7002/sqindex.html

Sparky, this will be one kick-ass thud spud!  :cheers:

Now if we can just find a 20mm Vulcan cannon and a few shells ..................... no more competition :evil:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #332 on: January 25, 2012, 10:22:31 AM »
Sparky, this will be one kick-Acura thud spud!  :cheers:

Now if we can just find a 20mm Vulcan cannon and a few shells ..................... no more competition :evil:

I might have a M-61 or two sitting around....  :roll:
Hey Bill, do you have nose art yet?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: January 25, 2012, 10:23:32 AM »
no NOSE art yet  :-o

Might have to have some nose art theeth like the Wild Weasel F105-G version---will continue to look at the OUTFIT art 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:44:00 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »
Working on inside panels for cockpit  to see if we still fit in the car---also the frt axle install

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2012, 04:03:42 PM »
Sexy Thud Spud nose art. :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »

They won't let you watch Youtube at work but you can take the time to dig THAT up!?  :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:11 AM »
Well in keeping with the GREEN recycling thread of this build  we journeyed to the corner of the yard that that old RATICAL curved alum. tail skins were resting. Stomped them back into some semblence of flat with the aid of a dead blow mallet.  Then we tool a skill saw and cut them to shape, slightly longer than the new pieces.  Andy brought home some reinforce patatoes plastic potato sacs that we will put some washed sand that he had left over from a previous project.--- presto mesto----shaping bags for making the dimples for our elbows in the new inner skins---picts to follow as soon as I find Dr. G's camera  :cheers:  :cheers:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:01 AM »

They won't let you watch Youtube at work but you can take the time to dig THAT up!?  :-D
Potato....Dig...................... :roll:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2012, 09:28:02 AM »
  :roll:   :-o  LOL   :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2012, 11:17:45 PM »
Things are beginning to happen sorta fast---Got the hubs from Mouer Machiene---

they are purty;   :-) look at them

We made the bulk head pattern to notch the circle I have posted earlier

We have started on the frt motor plate and this is about were the air intake will be

We have recieved notice of the brake shoes shipping and we should have a rear axle together this weekend then will have to decide on brake master cyl.

Have fitted all of the small parts for the heat exchanger and bought the 16 guage steel this afternoon for the drysump oil tank which will be 24" long 5" wide and 18" tall with a heating 20" hairpin coil in it that we will run eng water through for and oil heater/cooler  we plan on running the oil at the same temp as the eng coolant!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:25:52 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Tman

« Reply #341 on: February 02, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
Sexy scoop! So there is a use for those crappy things! I like the adaptation.  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
We recieved the brake shoes Thursday so we poped the weights of the braked drums that we had the big bells cut off and took them down to Discout Tire and had them spun to see where and how much to add with the big bells removed it takes about half as much weight usually some where else.

We are off to Al Eischenbach sp.  :? car show today that has turned into sort of a LSR bash here in Phoenix---should be great times last year Foggie, FF and others showed up from CA. It was a learning experience for me I had never spent any time talking about NITRO!!!

Should be able to finish the rear axle this weekend :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: February 08, 2012, 12:52:19 AM »
have had a great week, Went to the car show Sat.  Sunday morning Andy and I cleaded the shop up before Al Eshenbach. and Ed Stuck and Brian dropped by---Roadster Guys all  Al is going to build a lakester o all things  :cheers:  :cheers:  Marty came by Sunday nightand picked up the heat exchanger ie " radiator in a box" for final weld.

Today Dave came at 8:00  we took every loose thing of the weld jig, had tacked the frame and weld fixture then strapped on an axle and prepared to roll the weld fixture outside and reveresing it in the Shop..  This is necessary so that we can slip the tank on and off the NOSE!!

"Aero" Doug Robinson dropped by at 10:00 and John came at 10:30.  We then swapped end and the moment of truth had arived:  :-o :  Will the tank fit over the frame :?  We spent the next 3 hours  triming the internal hoops and reinforcements to slide it over the hoops----wow what a relief  we were able to slide it  within 2" feet of its final resting place  we will have to remove the angle that ithe frame is tacked to to be able to slide it the last 2 feet!!!!   

All in all a great day in the Shop!!!!

Offline Tman

« Reply #344 on: February 08, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »
Congrats man! I got the same feeling from one helmet bar tonight!