Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097187 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL>aka >> The Texas Tater>>> The Thud Spud
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2012, 11:21:09 PM »
stuff   :-o sticking out in the slip stream is why some go slow  :cry:

Fot those that want to go fast check out the Roklister [sp] Bennett and then Seth Hammond lakster build
around 40 yrs ago :-P

JL222

Offline dw230

« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:29 PM »
I begged Rich Manchen to put the exhaust under the rear end when we built the lakester. Didn't happen, his theory was that a blown engine will over come all.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2012, 11:49:26 PM »
I used to tell my Mom "The Lord helps them that helps themselves, and I am trying to help him as much as I can".

I do not have a lot of HP so I am trying to eliminate as much DRAG as I can no mater WHERE it is!!

Only time will tell if I am on the right track!  If I go faster, Then I will come up with the $ for better heads ect. ect. --- I know where to find another 300HP NA on GAS!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2012, 12:02:43 AM »
Sparky,

Look to 77, put the exhaust under/within the body.

Just sayin'

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
We had the same brake issue because of our wheel pants. We will be using a brake kit from Coleman on our liner. They are floating hubs and made forIMCA modifieds. They are pretty compact and fairly inexpensive. If you are interested, I can do a cad layout for you to see if they fit within the wheel an what offset you would need.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2012, 06:29:55 AM »
Thanks for your offer Rob I just need to find some brake shoes---I am happy with my choice for many other reasons  no drag and no worry about rusted stuck brakes are the two main ones!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
Looks like you're sticking with drum brakes so lets not try to re-engineer your car for you. :-D
I Utah & Spudaho we have Page Brake that do brake reman stuff but any quality brake reman company should be able to help you. They do a lining that is designed to survive excessive use in light trucks.
If you end up with a bonded brake lining, drill & rivet it as well, the excesive heat build up will want to delaminate them. Cut heat breaks in them, three seperate sections on the lining with 1/4" gap between them to help release the heat. Use the thickest drums you can find & drill them just like you would a disc.
Anybody remember "brake fade" ??
Back in the early 70's we ran a 4 wheel drum brake Group "E" Chrysler Pacer (Ozzy Dodge Dart-ish) in the Bensen & Hedges 500 in NZ. We learned how to make them work but we still changed them every 100 miles or so.
Racing drum brakes is probably a lost art by now.
  Sid.   

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
Thanks for your offer Rob I just need to find some brake shoes---I am happy with my choice for many other reasons  no drag and no worry about rusted stuck brakes are the two main ones!

and you can go with a nice short tire and 15" wheel with the drums.

Our experience this year on the 608 was that the big ass Brembos were more trouble than they are worth to us. And they just barely fit in the 18" wheel.

We should be going back to nice old Ford drums too for 2012. I'm pretty sure we will not do anything special as far as linings go. Whatever Bob has up in the attic will be fine with us.

Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline jl222

« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
Sparky,

Look to 77, put the exhaust under/within the body.

Just sayin'

DW

And the teardrop shaped axel fairings 8-)

JL222

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
  Back in the 50's & 60's, Ford and Chevy 11"ers used the same brake linings. 62, 63 & 64 Chevy police and taxis had semi metallic brakes with it optional on other models. Maybe find a set of them??? Even used, if not worn out, would probably work for you.

I don't think it would be that hard to make your own.:-D   You can buy metallic brake blocks for big trucks and cut/reshape to fit your shoes.

There is a site (Industrial Brake and clutch Exchange) that might be able to help you. They say they do classic car parts.

I have a semi metallic high speed reduction device. It's called a "ROADSTER".

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
Sparky, I'm going to throw this out, and let you shoot it down! Yes, I did hear you that you just needed brake shoes!

What about an inner disc brake system like the Jaguar has? I've seen a lot of QC setups done like this.  As your diff is covered, of you have the room, it might be worth looking into.

Then again, maybe not!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #311 on: January 14, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
While that may or may not work for Sparky it's certainly an interesting idea. It would require the use of a sprint car type live axle and then the support for that could be a single strut rather than the bird cage normally used in a sprinter. This could get other minds churning. The forum works again! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #312 on: January 14, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
I can certainly see some benifits, for some vehicles.

I still have most of the parts needed..... :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »
I think I finally found someone (Patterson I think) in CA that offer all types of RACING brake shoes  I will call them Monday or Tuesday.  Search racing brake shoes

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
I begged Rich Manchen to put the exhaust under the rear end when we built the lakester. Didn't happen, his theory was that a blown engine will over come all.

DW

I've heard that quote some where else before........... Maybe it was Fast Freddie.......... or Dave Davidson?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...