Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097348 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL>aka >> The Texas Tater>>> The Thud Spud
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2012, 09:19:18 PM »
I hear you on the head & neck thing Sparky, I'm in the same boat. 2" sideways, 1" up, 0" back & helmet in chest. Even if my head fell off, it couldn't get out of there. I'm going to use DJ's set-up, thats the only way I could get in the car & then see out once I get there. I also have swing up steering.
  Sid.

Sparky and Sid, we use the DJ, same position as you, lying down, chin on chest, 1 inch or less front, back and sides.  Yep you touch the sfi roll bar padding and it uncages your eyeballs.  I guess I would be interested in seeing what the ISP padding is and if it is legal for SCTA.  Anything that would let you touch and not translate the vibration would be a huge improvement.

Kiwi...DJ's helmet straps don't have a quick release, so helmet has to stay on untill someone can release the straps.

This restricks movement on exit.

Wish I had know before buying :roll:

JL222

I guess we haven't had that problem with the DJ, it is the least restrictive and flexible use unit out there.  I guess in the sit up position the straps are shorter, but when your driving position has your chin on you chest the straps are loose enough to not restrict movement after you sit up.  Releasing the chest strap should loosen the restraints.  We didn't get the opportunity to use it "real world" in the liner yet but will be doing a bunch of garage practice before Speedweek.  Yes, that means we haven't had the time to practice exit with it in the liner, but we had absolutely no issues with it in the Bockscar

Stainless, Speed Demon and many other cars are using the ISP padding.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
Pete,  from my experience we should for sure be able to warm them up at B'ville and ElM

I am open to sugestions on who might make something almost as good!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:47:04 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #287 on: January 13, 2012, 03:00:38 AM »
Why sintered iron Sparky? We ran a Corvette special during the sixties with sintered iron linings in the drums and as I remember they were all over the place until they got well warmed up. This isn't a characteristic that I'd like in a fast Bonneville car. I'm sure that one of the performance brake lining companies could come up with something that would cause less excitement on shutdown and be at least as effective. The sintered iron also has a real appetite for cast iron drums. You'll be replacing the drums regularly if the system works out.
Pete

I have experience along those lines as well, the linings were only worn down about 1/3 of original when the drums were way beyond max size. They both started off as new together. BUT, did it ever make a difference in stopping power   :-o
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:02:16 AM by gearheadeh »
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: January 13, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
That stopping power is what I am trying to increase---I have tried a stop from 225 brakes only at B'Ville  do not wish to repeat that at ElM.  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #289 on: January 13, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
Sparky, Why are you even considering drum brakes?? Thats dinosaur stuff!!
  Sid.

Offline jl222

« Reply #290 on: January 13, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
That stopping power is what I am trying to increase---I have tried a stop from 225 brakes only at B'Ville  do not wish to repeat that at ElM.  :-o

With rear wheel brakes only didn't the tires just lock up and slide?

My cousin Ed had a solid suspension Stude and in the old days [when warm up passes in other parts of El Mirage were allowed] came back and said '' I have no brakes!!' he had brakes, the tires were just sliding.
  Same thing on acceleration when sold and fuel hemi installed, couldn't touch the throttle with out wheelspin.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »
They hide behind the tires  :-D

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
Modern discs with modern linings are going to be safer and give you better performance. There are several manufacturers that could give you what ever you need. I'd stay away from the sintered iron.

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »

My cousin Ed had a solid suspension Stude and in the old days [when warm up passes in other parts of El Mirage were allowed] came back and said '' I have no brakes!!' he had brakes, the tires were just sliding.
  Same thing on acceleration when sold and fuel hemi installed, couldn't touch the throttle with out wheelspin.

JL222

As far as acceleration goes your Cousin Ed must not have had the car set up right. These pictures are of the weak link of a car that ran at El Mirage with a solid mounted rearend, and 3000 HP. My point is some people's combinations work others don't, more than one way to make things work.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »

Tom...Ed's stude was a 25% setback D BFALT- A BFALT when Fogie had it and yea could have added a ton or 2 more than it had to the rear to hook up. What car did that shaft come out of? Did the same at El Mirage with our Doug Nash 2 speed input shaft before changing to an Owens with bigger shaft.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »

Sparky...have you considered front brakes like those required now on Funny Cars?

JL222

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
There's lots of ways to put discs on your rear, you can do it with factory stuff from the junk yard & make some caliper brackets or just buy a kit & live on soup for a month like I do. Theres lots of ex-roundy round stuff on ebay to be had cheap & you can get good pads that won't go up in smoke when you're still on them at the 7.
Or try this for size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aerospace-Rear-Drag-Disc-Brakes-Big-Bearing-Ford-Old-/230317330679?hash=item359ffb90f7&item=230317330679&pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr

Drum brakes, thats why they have "run away truck ramps" on the freeways.
   Sid.

Offline dw230

« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »
+1

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:20 PM »
stuff   :-o sticking out in the slip stream is why some go slow  :cry:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
Positive offset on the wheels so everything is behind the Moons.
  Sid.