Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097312 times)

Offline Jon

Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL>aka >> The Texas Tater>>> The Thud Spud
« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »
Is it spring or pneumatic launch on the 3" Sparky?

This is what I made for my 3" spring launch so the spring is supported for full travel.

The hose clamp is only temporary for testing in my back yard.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
Jon, thanks for the post havent gotten there yet!

The Buggy is out of the shop and that side is picked up and cleaned up. will soon have a chassis for final welding.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Jon

« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »
You are so far in front of me Sparky, I'm only making components & mocking them up on a build table inside profile cutouts, frame design is still happening to suit.

Cheers
Jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »
Jon,  it seems like only yesterday, that I was out in the shop with circles of plywood and some tubing, and a tape measure trying to see if we can get in ---we will be testing big time today, firesuit and hement to see if we can STILL get in and out  :-o---there are several ways to build a car---my mind works the old school way.

line up the major components on the shop floor, to see the length necessary, add a little for saftey play with the pvc tubing to see where the frame rails can pass by the eng best, and then spend lots of time on graph paper with rulers pencils and a compass to  try to work out the design. then as I build I try to see what the car is giving us places for pumps and fire bottles, ect ect ect  I wish I were more of a computer guy so that I could use solidworks that seems to be a great way to get one off parts made just transmit the file to the water jet guy, go pay, and pick up your part.  They shop would stay MUCH cleaner that way.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »
This is what I was trying to describe over on the tube bender thread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:38:06 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Tman

« Reply #260 on: January 10, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
Man, you are DEEP inside that cage.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »
Sparky
  Make sure you can get out with your HANS on and all the steering components in place.
  That is why John and Tim retired the Speedway liner. It was going to take major mods to be able to use the HANS.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: January 11, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
I will, we have tried in the past, the steering will completely swing up--thanks for the reminder

--I think that there need to be some leeway with the hans rule:
We are building our cage with 2" total  SIDE TO SIDE, less than 1" vertical, the helment rest on our chest.  We made the cage deep and tight so that we can protect our hands, when we went to a 9 point harness we were cautioned to put the controls CLOSE because we would not be able to move nearly as much. The sides are very tight to our hips legs and upper arms.  Other than a FOAM insert seat I have tried to build a driver area as safe as my repeated questions to a lot of people that are in the know.  I will use the hybrid---in Skips Liner it added about a minute of time to being able to get out and added NOTHING in that car.  It may possibily add something to mine but I havent recoginized it yet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:00:26 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Tman

« Reply #263 on: January 11, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »
I too am working on protecting the hands in a different manner. Are you concerned about breaking a wrist on that front hoop if something should happen?

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #264 on: January 11, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
Regarding hand and wrist protection, under the new rules and I am sure that Sparky is aware of them you have literally multiple restraints on your arms, wrist and legs. I help Steve Nelson with his lakester and with the new strapping for the legs, the wrist/arm restraints and the Hans type device, Steve uses one that is a head/helmet devise that uses straps and a shoulder harness that is SCTA approved and much easier than the composit Hans type device for getting in and out, anyway with all of this restraining it took us about 20 minutes the first time we tried to get Steve strapped into the car! With practice it got down to around 5 minutes. So it is very important to have these devices available when you start deciding where things like the steering wheel, gear shift, brake handle, chute release etc are going to be located as your hands are going to have a pretty limited range of movement.

Sparky, I am with you regarding construction methods, I missed the "computer revolution" when I was doing engineering and am still pretty much of a "pencil CAD" engineer. I do make a pretty detailed 1/4 scale dwg of what I am going to build but after that it is fab and fit and make drawings of detailed parts as I see them needed. My son is in engineering at Chico State and is pretty good at Solid Works and I should probably make him do some drawings and assemblies as he is going to be the driver and probably do most of the welding. Just need to finish the wiring in my new shop, paint the floor, move my office out to it and then I can get started.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »
There are a lot of good points here. One thing that is over looked that in 99% of all vehicles involved in a crash the driver will need help getting out of the vehicle. A lot of things come into play as the driver has his bell rung, he is in a hurry to get out and panics, If he is upside down the problem becomes much harder to deal with and very hard to release belts. There can be pieces of the vehicle in the way that adds to the escaping from the cockpit. I have been on the crash truck at the lakes and Bonneville for over 20 years and only a few times has the driver been out of the car. When there is a fire everything changes and again panic can set in. These are things that the driver must practice during the build, after the build to assure you know where everything is located. Testing at home in a dark garage in full dress should be done often. In many cases things will need to be changed and repositioned to allow the driver to ease of getting out.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #266 on: January 11, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
Like when Uncle Jesse makes Daisy and the Duke Boys learn how to rebuild a carb blindfolded!  :-D Never know when Boss Hog is going to shut off the lights!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2012, 04:09:12 PM »

Sparky I am sure you know but the swing up steering cannot be connected to the canopy . The Hanna-Moore streamliner and others have had to change that on their cars. 2011 rule book pg.21 pp 2.M Canopies

I will, we have tried in the past, the steering will completely swing up--thanks for the --I think that there need to be some leeway with the hans rule:
We are building our cage with 2" totaS SIDE TO SIDE, less than 1" vertical, the helment rest on our chest.  We made the cage deep and tight so that we can protect our hands, when we went to a 9 point harness we were cautioned to put the controls CLOSE because we would not be able to move nearly as much. The sides are very tight to our hips legs and upper arms.  Other than a FOAM insert seat I have tried to build a driver area as safe as my repeated questions to a lot of people that are in the know.  I will use the hybrid---in Skips Liner it added about a minute of time to being able to get out and added NOTHING in that car.  It may possibily add something to mine but I havent recoginized it yet.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Hooley

« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
Sparky,
            I just found your build a couple of days ago and  got caught up today.  This is so interesting to watch you think it out and build it where we can watch. You are an inspiration to us all with your ingenuity and speed at which you work. Keep the story coming.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #269 on: January 11, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
SPEED   :?  :-o  Hooley surely you jest!!  but remember,  I virtualy rebuilt the old car three times before we got it to go straight with no drama.

Glen, good point, on the old car we had a gas strut on the canopy with a small bungee cord to lift the steering when we opened the canopy.  The canopy had a small bracket that held the steering down secure when the canopy was secured.

Rex, I have not read the new rules reguarding leg restraints. I will have to go find them.  My lower legs are very tight by the frame, I will have to have a strap over my upper legs to keep them from coming out as I did on the old car.

T-Man Bones heal --hands do not grow back if one gets them GROUND or GRATED off by the salt if they get between the side the car and the salt.

Hopefully I have responded to all comments.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:24:04 PM by SPARKY »