Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097786 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »
Well if all goes well I should be able to know if I will fit in this thing Sunday night.  I put i tacked in the diags on the left side yesterday.  Should get in the right side today, and planning on fitting and tacking the 1/4 plate that will be the seat bottom Sunday, and tacking a 6" X12" strap to simulate the fire wall for the back of the helment.  but when I climbed in last night---I think we will be going on a diet or back to biengineering the diagonals---GOD forbid we have to go to a designated driver :-o

5'9" 165 at your service  :cheers:

Try this thread on the HAMB for some great tips for coping tubes. A good refresher and some good tips!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542447&highlight=cope

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »
Check out reply #45 and #47 to see how I do it when I don't use the bandsaw or the mill.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4165.45.html

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
Check out reply #45 and #47 to see how I do it when I don't use the bandsaw or the mill.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,4165.45.html

Pete

Yup, that thread is another great resource! I like the line drawing of the one I posted helps newbies imagine how it works. Sneaking up on the compound miter of my helmet hoop as we speak.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
I am learing to use the chop saw and I am getting where I can do single plane fairly good. Where I am running into problems is this darn tapered Hoop-de-do shape I have chosen---lol nothing is parallel or perpendicular
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »
Yup, thats where I am taking my time sneaking up on my hoop. Same as yours tapered, at an angle etc.........I found last night after a few minutes that my center to center was off a touch more than 1/8" making one side a little loose. Time for leverage and re-fit.

Any new pictures?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
most welders have a wrap around template for cutting the proper fish tail on pipe / tubing Mark it with chalk and cut away. Check with your local welding supply .
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »
google  tube cutting templates  free
Several available. worth looking into
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
More Salvage Yard Art  :-D  obtained from Summner this time--- Summner is not using the back of some tip tanks he has.  I could only get one in my my wifes car (under DURESS)  he is bring the other in Jan.  I plan on using this for the nose extension to hopefully decreasse the size of the bow wave as I may have to slightly narrow the frt. axle to be able to fair all of it. The rear "inner tire plane" comes into play!!

Whoops forgot to mention we would remove the fins---WE may have to rethink the name of the car---Road Kill comes to mind!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:58:35 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »
Duhh --

Whatsa tip tank?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
That tank tips should make a real nice nose!

Hmmm, wonder if you could use one complete with fins, for the rear of the tank, and have the exhaust exit from the center of it?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:48:43 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
Some aircraft have wing tip tanks that do not ride underneath the wing, they are attached to the end of the wing  the part that Summ still has is asymmetrical, he is going to use "parts of" them to cover the side tanks on his lakester

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »
you could if you were willing to change the frame behind the axle and built a new 25 gal. water tank that sits behind the rear axle that is where we4 would love to have it---may be too lazy to do that---we are considering having a rear diffuser that looks very similar to that on the bottom rear

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2011, 04:32:47 PM »
That's a bit over 225 pounds of water sloshing around behind the rear axle, tail waging the dog. I don't think that's what I would want.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
Woody is running his "evaluation" to see if it is worth the effort to try to raise the back of the car 1.5-2" so that we can stay with the 24.5 tires instead of going to the 28" tires for the rake.  We really need to stay with the smaller tires if we can for gearing reasons.  It is worth the wait and ensuing effort if there is a difference---

-"I think"  but as Saltfever says data beats an opinion!!!  :-D :-D  waiting for Woody---we should know this week!  :cheers:

Any updates on what Woody did, or is it 007, top secret stuff? :evil:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c