Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097296 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
Wow,  do I now have a better appreciation for resplining axles using old 9" Fords as cores  just because they have the right bolt circle and the right bearing does it mean they are "EASY"  the cores I found with 5x5 bolt patterns had HORRIBLE run out  spent several hours with a lathe geting them wihin usable spec's before we resplined them---but LEARNED A ton!! 

This morning in Lubbock where I up some Irrigation pipe 7'  3" used .053 for pilots and a 9' piece of 6" .053 new drop for my Chute tubes---Bob Stroud says order now to beat the first of the year price increase!!!  All of these will be cut to length for pilot and mains as needed.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »
Sparky, What are you using to spline the shafts ? Rota-Broach?  Indexing head ?  We have to know these things !  JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2011, 12:31:54 PM »
Just saying...................at one shop I worked at we resplined quite a few Ford axles. It was a pretty simple operation but the problem came when the splines twisted off in the rear end under any sort of abuse, ie: racing. We ended up discontinuing the process and just using aftermarket axles which were available in any length and spline you wanted at what turned out to be a relatively reasonable price.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
We were using an indexing head---the thing uses a hirizontal mill with air switches for shuttle and rotary signals  you are right after the fact we found out we can buy "blanks" for less than a $100.00  That will be the future plans.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
Woody is running his "evaluation" to see if it is worth the effort to try to raise the back of the car 1.5-2" so that we can stay with the 24.5 tires instead of going to the 28" tires for the rake.  We really need to stay with the smaller tires if we can for gearing reasons.  It is worth the wait and ensuing effort if there is a difference---

-"I think"  but as Saltfever says data beats an opinion!!!  :-D :-D  waiting for Woody---we should know this week!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:22:28 AM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »
Woody's stuff is pretty neat. I'm curious to see what his conclusions are.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
here's to "that ol'e lady" Ms. Fletcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LbvnoIDkE
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:53:37 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
Woody is trying to change the name of the new car----he keeps refering to it as the Thud Spud  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
Small strange little world we live in! 

Last night at a meeting a man came up to me and said, " I am Capt. Russ Whittenburg,  I met your wife the other night at the PotLuck and she said you race.  I use to club  race what kind of racing do you do?  I said LSR. What is LSR?  On the B'ville salt flats.  What kind of car?  Lakester. What is that?  One of those long skinny cars with the tires on the outside.  I want to see it.  Well I sold the old car I am building a new one out of a ferry tank out of a F105B.

And he says " When I was a young pup, fighter jockey in Germany I use to chase Thunderchiefs, those things sure couldn't turn much but they were plenty fast going straight, I couldn't catch them!
We called them Thuds.

Well maybe Woody is on to something, I dream about building something that can't be "caught".

Thud Spud does have a certain ring to it.  lol
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:36:09 PM by SPARKY »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »
"Thud Spud does have a certain ring to it.  lol"

Me thinks it sounds better than Sparky's Tater!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »
Coping  flat angle diagianols are a B----

Offline Tman

« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2011, 09:55:36 AM »

Tell me about it! Working on that myself!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »
Well if all goes well I should be able to know if I will fit in this thing Sunday night.  I put i tacked in the diags on the left side yesterday.  Should get in the right side today, and planning on fitting and tacking the 1/4 plate that will be the seat bottom Sunday, and tacking a 6" X12" strap to simulate the fire wall for the back of the helment.  but when I climbed in last night---I think we will be going on a diet or back to biengineering the diagonals---GOD forbid we have to go to a designated driver :-o

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »

Tell me about it! Working on that myself!
That's where the aforementioned PVC tubing comes in handy. Sometimes I even use telescoping tubing. That way I can hack away indiscriminately and just slide the ends out to fit. Again, this just gives me a good visual reference so I don't waste a lot of the more expensive stuff.  :roll: Wayno