Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097403 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
I am planning on running a ( PG/GV) a powerglide with a Gear Vendor with my small M/T 24.5 tires
it comes of the truck a little bit slow but does not break loose . I so far only drive it as a 3 spd  I have not gotten brave enough to split shif low.  What I love about it I never have to lift and if I shift at 8000 if puts me right back in the heart of my power band 6250 and peak power out the back 6900
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
I believe it's a converterless glide isn't it Sparky?

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2011, 05:52:28 PM »
Thats what I was thinking he said PJ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
yes, convertless Shorty glide with a 1' drive shaft  radiator in a box, fuel and dry sump tank will be in frt of the eng,  water storage tank that can be converted to ice behind rear axle  this will let us "play" with the CG/CP- with the batteries, weight, and tail feathers to get the CG/CP where we want it.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
Wow do we have our work cut out for us :-o---will take MANY 30 packs of Bingeenginering time  ---just because you can get a big guy in the space  in means you have to be CREATIVE  in getting stuff like shifters and such in there----wow

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
Sparky

Please explain this tranny to me- is this something you converted yourself, or are they made converterless?

It sounds like it would be great in certain applications, and I just traded Hans Blom out of an adapter for an automatic behind a Flatcad......
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »
We just run a circle track pump drive and a flexplate coupler which comes with the TCI kit, others make them---on the big rat I endend up having to go to a HD billet---

the converters keep them straight---I am going to explore driving it off a conventional fly wheel so as not to give up the GYRO effect on the rear of the crank.  you can run a valve so that you can drive it off---some guys do---we just yank it in low when we are up to about 25-30 mph---we launch in 4x4 low and the rev limiter hits about 35 mph ---we are gone before then

Offline desotoman

« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »

I am going to explore driving it off a conventional fly wheel so as not to give up the GYRO effect on the rear of the crank. 

Sparky,

Back in 1972 I built my first boat and used a Velvet Drive transmission, with a 6-71 Blown Big Block. The Velvet Drive used a thick plate that bolted onto the flywheel. It had splines and springs to act as shock absorbers when you dropped the trans in gear.

In 1978 we decided to build a new boat but use the same motor except this time put a Turbo 400 behind the motor. At the time Art Carr made a input shaft for the Turbo 400 that would mate to the Velvet Drives flywheel plate. So that is what I used with a standard, and then later Aluminum Flywheel. Never had a problem with the unit and I used to River race the boat all the time, and full throttle shift at 7000 from second to high.

I am sure they have come up with better stuff than that, but if not you might try Art Carr if they are still in business.
At least it will give you an idea of what can be done.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2011, 10:19:08 AM »
Thanks Tom,

I have had bearing issues on the rear main that concerend me---the lack of rotating mass is the only thing that is different---there is much less to try to keep the crank flange straight and "fight" any hormonics that might start.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
John and I had a pretty good day---we now have all of the bulk heads out and the reinforce ban off the tank!

caught the HF spot weld drill on sale for under $5.00  John says tha work better than the ones he paid $ 29.00 for.!!!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »
Sparky, I think we need to take up a collection, and get you a camera! :wink:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
John brought his  :-D !

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:11 AM »
inside

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #178 on: September 26, 2011, 12:44:58 AM »
Sparky, I think we need to take up a collection, and get you a camera! :wink:

No, don't do that ........I'm organizing it, it will be coming in the mail.

I owe him.....and I want to see the pictures.......

EDIT: done, standby Bill........
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:22:17 AM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2011, 08:14:56 AM »
you guys don't owe me any thing but to keep posting and running  what a joy it is to see guys who are having FUN share their TOTAL LSR adventure lumps bumps and bruises--- for all to see--- I am enjoy the journey---keep going

Oh by the way  I am in Texas to pickup the "AA Rat' with his new carb---this will be a first for me running a carb---Marvin has promised to show me the "features" :?  that make this carb what it is  :-P