Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097334 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
Sparky, what is the width of your top two frame tubes?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:21 PM »
Those hoops are .120 wall 2" dom 30" in diameter---so close to 30" outside

Had a good solo day yesterday---spent nearly 6 hours coping the two bars over the helment in the cage and making a pattern for the 1/4" plate that will sereve as the top and as gussetts for the frt and rear of the cage joint.---next I will cut it out and then get a 16# sledge hammer and try to "smarten up" that dumb metal plate to the curve of the front and rear hoops  lol
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:14:31 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:44 PM »
Thanks, was crippled by Windows 98 at work and had issues with the pictures! Who the hell uses 98? Dont ask........................... :?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »
We got the "cross Member-modified hoop" at the rear axle in today. I spent  3 beers worth of beingineering time trying to get it to tell me what to to about torsional rigidity--- from the rear axle to the eng bay---I feel more beer will be needed---(I did not recieve a clear message!!) lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
Small technical detail you guys might have overlooked. I think the valve covers actually go on the heads.
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2011, 11:34:43 PM »
See , now I understand that you were interrogating me with the help of the truth serum in the car park at the Peppermill......... Maybe if we'd had one more you might have extracted something useful for your build....that's not saying that there's anything there, that you may not have already weedled out of someone else......You are the undisputed king of the ground-up, hands-on special construction builders....and you don't get there with your fingers in your ears and your eyes closed.

I spent  3 beers worth of beingineering time trying to get it to tell me what to to about torsional rigidity--- from the rear axle to the eng bay

You could do worse, It's been a long time since I could get our car to sit on four axle stands at once ....haven't found a floor flat enough....it'll carry a wheel getting out of the trailer.......triangulation and bulk, with the added bonus of weight.....a brutal solution.No doubt you'll come up with a solution and it won't be complicated but it will be clever........

".........that dumb country boy act works on a lot of people Bill, but not on me "

Seth Hammond Bonneville Aug 2011
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
lol---  :cheers:  :cheers:    to you and Seth!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: September 04, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
triangulation  :-o  :?  :-o  the problem is  those diagonals   :-P just keep wanting to go through an area that just may need to be put to a higher and better use!!! LATER
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 07:14:18 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »
T-Man  the lower frame rails are 18" inside they are 1 3/4 .134

Behind the eng bay the uppers are still 2" but they are 19" inside tube to tube---photo not posted yet!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
Our electric rate chanages at 12:00 noon so I try to stop around noon and chill out and run errands in the afternoon..

I had a good morning working behind the rear axle. I measured everything many times.

One of the funnies that happend at SW---someone was ribbing me about getting my car finished and said that it didn't take me long to build something.  My reply was that "I was trying to take a little more time the first time and maybe not have to rebuild it so many times!"

I used every clamp I had still unused and welded the back of the car that the chute tubes will go through, and installed the top tube and notched the back and centered every thing. This thing is going to be so over built in some areas it crazy--- but having changed and rebuilt the back of the old car 3 times for various reasons my knowledge base is SO much larger than before.

These LSR special construction cars are all about trade offs. Tom Burkland and I have mused several times about the trade offs--Dr. G and I were talking about what he gained by the shape they chose and what they gained--{ AERO}-- but they are very LIMITED in what other options they had about changing things around the eng, ect, ect!!

One of the reasons I decided to build and new car was the old one was limited in width for a NA car I could not clean up the headers if I wanted to.  The old car woud not have paid a very big price with log manifolds if I had decided to run turbos.  I have been looking at an old attic fan that I scronged in Texas as a floor fan and wondering if I can "Southern Eng." into a primitive
Wind Tunnel.  The area around the Axles to Body, and the Exhaust exit will be the areas with the most to be gained!!

I promise to get a camera that I can operate soon!!

Offline Tman

« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
T-Man  the lower frame rails are 18" inside they are 1 3/4 .134

Behind the eng bay the uppers are still 2" but they are 19" inside tube to tube---photo not posted yet!

thanks!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »
Sunday's Progress:   Note the valve covers are on---lol  in the correct locatation
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:06:45 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Bville701

« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2011, 09:34:53 PM »
Looks good Sparky.   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2011, 10:09:51 PM »
Wow! Such an outstanding job, I see the judges already awarded a blue ribbon! :wink:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2011, 12:57:40 AM »
lol---  :-o southern bingenginers ne'ds visuals for gussies