Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097188 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2011, 11:43:38 PM »
JEEEEZZ I am spastic tonight----I guess I didn't leave enough with the Mayor in impound :cheers:

2 more
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
"That's not for the claustrophobic, is it?"

Funny that you mention that, a buddy of mine was really intrested in joing the team with one of his really strong A engines from a pull truck---untill he crawled in the RATICAL  with no helment---he could NOT stand the canopy pulled part way down let alone latched shut.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
"That's not for the claustrophobic, is it?"

Funny that you mention that, a buddy of mine was really intrested in joing the team with one of his really strong A engines from a pull truck---untill he crawled in the RATICAL  with no helment---he could NOT stand the canopy pulled part way down let alone latched shut.

:-D :-D :-D

The build looks great!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2011, 01:11:17 AM »
We had a good morning in the shop---coped seat back tubes---I think the will clear the "HYBRID" "hans type device"  2 vertical and 2 horizontal tubes---have to find the hybrid and see if it will "recess" in the seat back

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40:59 PM »
Scrounged around to find some 1/4 plate to put in the bottom and around the nose tubes.  found some "roll ends that have some "curve" to them for $ .50 #---still cost a bundle 1/4 plate weights in at 10.25 # per sq ft  we will cut and shape with a torch and press!!  Also chopped about 18" out of the body behind the rear axel---didn't think that I could get the trailer around the house if I stretched it again!  Also bought the 1" sq tube bent in to "hairpins to make the chute tube holders out of.  picts will follow!!!!  when we get back there!! :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: July 30, 2011, 08:24:47 AM »
Andy and I had a good bin-gineering session  clamped the oval that will be the rear of the main frame---to the weld jig to get the overall frames perspective.  the chute tubes go through the oval now we fill in between with tubing---simple right  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2011, 03:04:52 AM »
Dam ---not even to the rear of the base frame and I am cutting stuff out and changing it!!! the car dropped back to 204" wb and shorter overhang --just so that I can get the car on the trailer!!  imagine ---wanting to get it to the race track :-o
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:37:06 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »
oh I forgot to mention another motivation was to get more weight on the rear axle with out it all being added lead---according to Sumner's formulas we need to move up from 2250# on rear axle to 2750# that is assuming the old car  I will be shooting for at least 2550# + or -.  We had 70# under the rear axle. We will use a pre-made 180# unit we have and will "trying to" add an additional 320# more.  My SWAG is that the car will come in around 3600#

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
Sparky, when you add the lead, how are you doing it? lead shot, or melting lead? Are you putting it in tubing?

Just curious....
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »
2 ways, we use 4x4 tubing that we fill up by using 4x4 angle as a melting trough and a big rose bud---being carefull to use a big fan and stay up wind of the fumes we also weld 4" angle capps on these the "tabs" are them  either welded or bolted where we want them.

we have also built molds using plate and cross members---ie under the rear housing then  pounded and ground these for the required clearance as needed!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47:34 AM »
Jeez  :-Frontal Area vs DRAG

Problem solving Special construction based----the intresting side of LSR is about building to the trade offs---  I have been Noodling Exhaust

I know from previous Wanderings down the cousre---that a very rigid frame is an asset---but to build a frame that is torsionaly rigid requires properly placed tubes----that sometimes want to be in the wrong place---hence my choice of Rings so that I can move tubes around----but serving the above wishes and still be able to remove components and fit to a preconceived external shape--- :?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2011, 01:42:43 AM »
another day in Paradice--B'ville salt flats USA  the reworked 608 car had a pretty good day  they are now running over 3 but about to short  maybe the will have a great rest of the week they are running beter than my best but need about 10 to run with Hammon :-o
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:34:04 AM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2011, 02:07:34 AM »
Sparky, It was great to finally meet you, and have a chance to chat with you!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
Industrial spying!    :-P lol

Special thanks to the Spectra crew for sharing their fuel tank "frame bridge" with me a version of that will soon appear in the new RAT over the water tank bay! 

How refresing it is --- for this sport that you can sit down with your main competitors ( like Seth, Lee and I did and share and discuss features and concepts that my help one or the other of you go FASTER!!!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Sparky,
I know you spent some time with the 608 lakester, did you ever notice that after a run there is a big build up of salt right in front of the rear wheels? You don't see it on Seth's car and I think the difference is that Seth's car is round in section which allows the air to pass between most of the wheel/tire and the body where as the 608 car is flat sided and the air is completely restricted from going between the wheel/tire and the body. How far away from the body do you plan to make your wheels?

As Pork Pie says "It doesn't much matter how you open the hole, it is all about how you close the hole"
Pork Pie      Wendover KOA August '06

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.