Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097315 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »
Thanks Wayne! For some reason I thought it was two buttons outside Duh! And Dunno why I had you on ignore? Weird, lets chalk it up to fat fingers and Fat Tire beer :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
What John and I got done Sunday.  The bulkhead will be in the front hoop you see in the upper part of the image.  The rear hoop will not be round as we plan on running the exhaust right next to the skin unless the car tells us different.  The next step will be to plumb several things on the mock up motor so the car will tell us where to run the frame rails.  We know where several will be, but not all. 

Pork Pie is to advise us of his thoughts on the configuration of the frame and body back of the trans mount and under the rear axle.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:18:00 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:19 PM »
Looking good!

Tight fit though, huh?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »
Looking good!

Tight fit though, huh?

tight?....... they could run air-con :-D :-D
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2011, 11:37:49 PM »
Looking good!

Tight fit though, huh?

tight?....... they could run air-con :-D :-D

:-D :-D :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
Last Sunday Joey, John and I dugout one of my old truck blocks and mocked up the drive train to see if it would be possible to get a tall deck in--just barely---maybe someday we will win the bigger bullet lottery!!

Today we notched the lower frame tubes 1.75 .134 dom and tacked them to spacers and the the build jig.  Put the mocked up eng., trans, rear axel between them and nailed down the eng placement.  We have not ben able to get the 2" DOM frame hoops rolled to a 30" diameter---this car is going to be LONG; between 26' to 30' OL, wb around 222"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 12go3az

• New folks
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
SPARKY  if you still need the 2" tube rolled a  friend of mine here in Buckeye can do it.   Jim 602-708-3668

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
Sparky
Not so long.  I ended up with 250 inches.
Does size matter?, only when it makes you go slower  :-d
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:14:19 PM by Rick Byrnes »
Rick

Offline gotzy

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »
One approach that you might consider is the way the guys with the Contrivance Special modified roadster guys do, a short individual header for each cylinder with some leading and trailing aero devices.

Got any pics of what you're talking about Rex?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:56 PM »
Had two delightfull phone calls today:

1. from the fab shop---I could come pick up my 2" hoop tubes --- well almost hoops

2.Jim Kirk called telling me about his recovery & mending --and rebuilding the Coupe

what a delightfull 58 minutes---cant wait to get out to Buckey see their project  thanks for the call Jim!!!! :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
Gotzy,
I checked my Bonneville pics and do not have one of the Contrivance modified roadster, maybe some one else has one that shows the headers. Just imagine fairly short stacks, 12-15 inches long and pretty much straight out from the side of the block with a slight, maybe 15 degree bend toward the back at the end of the pipe. Then they added sheet metal between each pipe and added a tapered tail on the last tube. Just another of the many innovative aero things that are on the car. It does not follow the prevailing thinking in the modified roadster class of being low, flat bottomed, pointy nose and straight sides. Again they hold all of the unblown gas records from E through AA so they are doing something right.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2011, 01:26:10 AM »
. Just imagine fairly short stacks, 12-15 inches long and pretty much straight out from the side of the block with a slight, maybe 15 degree bend toward the back at the end of the pipe. Then they added sheet metal between each pipe and added a tapered tail on the last tube. Just another of the many innovative aero things that are on the car. Rex
I know you and I don't see eye to eye on all things aero Rex but ......on a roadster it may not be that significant but the pipes themselves aren't the issue, it's the exhaust flow that is detrimental to the airflow down the sides of the vehicle, if it is at the very rear it can be a positive influence.....zoomies are a hell of a lot easier, but if we were after the easy route we wouldn't be doing this anyways.

Send that exhaust out the tail.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
We will not be all the way out the rear but we will be pointed st back

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »
Here are a few shots of "Contrivance". Record holder in 6 (maybe more?) AA, A, B, C, D, & E gas modified roadster class.
Take a look at the 266 mph record in "C"
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
I think that  :-o comes under the heading of " not many unturned stones"   :-D  :cheers: