Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097202 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
if it is a Wok- :?- it must be a DEEP fry version  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline MC 1314

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
What's that got to do with exercising your dog?
Bob
It's just a case of too soon old and too late smart. Will Penny

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »
I am soliciting suggestions how we might do the canopy on this "Sloped Nose" tank.
       vertical vs. sloped cuts----ect ect

Note the two vertical blue tape lines.  The rear one is where the rear bulkhead will be--the cage will be from there 18" forward.

The front vertical is approximately where the front canopy hinge will be.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:12:14 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
Would it be possible to sit low enough to look through the car and open a section in the front?  Kind of like the 909, 253, 221 and the 1116 lakesters.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
Tony, yes we do not plan on changing the profile.  Just try to decide the opening shape and wether to cut at the bulkhead or in front of the cage.

the imortal question:

to hinge or not

in the front or on the sides

Offline maguromic

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
I would hinge the front and for redundancy have the side panels on  Hartwell latches for an emergency.  Tony

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
Hartwell latches---well it off to Google on that one.

John and I had a good day  (PICTS) to follow.  We clamped the  hoops in place and put a ruff mock up eng/trans in place as well as the rear axle---what did we learn???

Well, I think I can get the eng and exhaust in side the 30"  but we are going to have to put the new dry sump pan, starter and other STUFF on a block and plumb it  to determine where to put the frame rails between the Eng bay hoops.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
Would it be possible to sit low enough to look through the car and open a section in the front?  Kind of like the 909, 253, 221 and the 1116 lakesters.  Tony
And the 404 Lakester.  :-D Wayno

Offline maguromic

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2011, 11:35:58 PM »
Sparky, There are several styles of Hartwell latches, but I was suggesting of using one like this (picture from the net).  The NASCAR boys use them on the windows and I have seen some liners use them as canopy release.  Tony

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
Thanks Tony for the picts---Wayno---we will not have Near that good a view from the snout-- :-(

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 12:41:22 AM »
And the 404 Lakester.  :-D Wayno

Ok, that's it Wayno....you've got a week to start a build thread and post some pics or I WILL.......then you'll have to keep posting in order to correct the false claims I make on your behalf :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :cheers:

Get cracking.

PS: I have just enough info, real and/or imagined to keep you busy. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
Sparky,
This is a pic of Steve Nelson's no. 221 tank with a SBC in it. It is a 30 inch dia tank and you can see that even with a small block getting the headers inside the body would really be a challenge. One approach that you might consider is the way the guys with the Contrivance Special modified roadster guys do, a short individual header for each cylinder with some leading and trailing aero devices. Probably not as HP efficient as a good set of "tuned" headers but certainly a lot easier to build. And as you know they do hold every unblown modified roadster record from E through AA.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
Rex---maybe I should have said exhaust---not headers as we know them---

Offline Tman

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
Sparky, There are several styles of Hartwell latches, but I was suggesting of using one like this (picture from the net).  The NASCAR boys use them on the windows and I have seen some liners use them as canopy release.  Tony

How are these latches operated from the inside AND the outside?

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
Sparky, There are several styles of Hartwell latches, but I was suggesting of using one like this (picture from the net).  The NASCAR boys use them on the windows and I have seen some liners use them as canopy release.  Tony

How are these latches operated from the inside AND the outside?
The button on the right is pushed from the outside and the lever on the left is operared from the inside. It is upside down as pictured. Oh yeah, the button is flush mounted. Wayno
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:49:09 PM by Elmo Rodge »