Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097516 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank
« on: March 13, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
The Lack of a fast car, Al's lakester Betsy, and Ack's MC Liner have inspired our latest efforts that will be another ugly BETTY Lakester. This effort will mostly be round, this time made out of a bomb bay ferry tank from a F105-B  more affectionately called the THUD!!!!!!!!!--

My wife Linda is firmly convinced that INSANITY PREVAILS and RULES within the demented brain cavity of momma Smith's oldest baby girl Bill's skull.

The welding jig is back in the shop,  The old water cooled band saw has been resurrected by John and I, the old drill press has been converted to a tubing notcher by Joey Diagneault with a pipe vice provided by John, the scrounged chop saw now works thanks to John McKnight.  I finally found some one that could roll me to 30" i/2 hoops that we welded together.  We are off like a heard of turttles in persuit of our Salt fix
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:13:46 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Rat-a-Tack AA/GL
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »
Great name, Sparky.  We used to have a cat named Thud.  She got the name by weighing 13 or 14 pounds and jumping off the furniture.  When she'd hit the floor there'd be a big "thud" -- and from that came her name.  I hope your new car hits big numbers -- not the floor.  Thanks for starting a build diary, and best wishes for the entire project - and the gang building it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
Sparky, it sounds like fun!

Isn't it hard building a car you think is ugly?!

Maybe you should think of it as 'aesthetically challenged'. :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
The Lack of a fast car, Al's lakester Betsy, and Ack's MC Liner have inspired our latest efforts that will be another ugly BETTY Lakester. This effort will mostly be round, this time made out of a bomb bay ferry tank from a F105-B  more affectionately called the THUD!!!!!!!!!--

My wife Linda is firmly convinced that INSANITY PREVAILS and RULES within the demented brain cavity of momma Smith's oldest baby girl Bill's skull.

Bill... is there something we should know?  :roll:

Why the 30 inch hoops?  Using them to mount the body to the frame?  And we all know there are no ugly 300 MPH cars... sometimes fast ain't pretty
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »
SPARKY is a very clever guy and I thought the “Rat” looked beautiful at 300 MPH.

No doubt “THUD ugly” will be brilliantly modest, simple and beautiful, beyond 300MPH.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
Sparky,

Just curious, why a second Lakester?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
Tom,

Two reasons on top of the fact that I sold the RATICAL:
 # 1 a LAKESTER is a heck of a lot simpler to deal with than a dual eng LINER 
# 2 I want to see if my UGLY ideas CAN compete with Seth's BEAUTIFUL ONES  :-P

I think I have two things in mind, no 3:
# 1 get the aero cleaned up a bunch
# 2 CLEAN the AERO up a BUNCH
# 3 if all else fails try to throw some more HP at it  :-D

SS#1  The 30" hoops are very slightly smaller that this WEIRD tank I have and they will give me the most flexiabilty in working the frame in the eng. bay and Around the exhaust system!!!  at leat I HOPE it will!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:52:44 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Bville701

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:05:40 AM »
Sparky,

I can't wait to see what " Ratical" idea you have come up with. Are you looking to be a contender for the first lakester to reach the 400 MPH mark?   :-o
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
Mike,

I haven't thought much about that.  I have pondered the requirements enough to know I don't have the Resources to properly do that.  I am more intrested in NA where the HP is some what limited and I can approach it from of the Hot Rodders traditional approach instead of Hard Core Top Fuel type components.

I have been lucky enough to find some others who suffer from our type of Salt love and would enjoy finding other KINDRED souls who are intrested in our addiction. Some where down the line if some one wanted to be an engine partner I might be intrested.  But it would take new Engines, trannies, rear ends and a WING!!! :-D

Offline mkilger

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Thats funny, we are building a new body for the GOT SALT lakester  as we speak hoping to clean it up a bit for that 315 record

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »
Thats funny, we are building a new body for the GOT SALT lakester  as we speak hoping to clean it up a bit for that 315 record

Have they thought about getting the butterflies in the air more?

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 03:42:10 PM »
Why not have two lakesters ? Think how much faster you could go for broke or is it go broke faster.
I know one is about I can handle and that has taken 10 years.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
I sold Ratical  so I am presently without a "Ride-for-the-FIX" hence the new car.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
ya we got the butterflies getting alot more air  with the new body than before :wink:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:25:37 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
Sparky,
How about a picture of your tank so we can see what your starting point is.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.