Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097474 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #960 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »
Heard from Summner---he and Ruth were motoring through Alabama headed to "le BOAT"

He reported that he spent 2-3 days with Hooley and they made great progress with their "layout" for the turbo system.  He said they were able to  place the turbos, intercoolers and were able to use some 5" exhaust pipes from 18 wheelers on both the intake and exhaust side of the turbo and intercooler. the exhaust, intake and carb hat all use 5".
He also reported that he sure was glad Hooley decided to stretch the nose 24" instead of 15-18" that it was filling up fast!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #961 on: March 07, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
Spark.......THANKS for keeping us informed that Sum is still summarizing.

He is good people and whenever he returns to our world he will be royally

welcomed.  HI, Ruth and Sum.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #962 on: March 07, 2013, 03:02:16 PM »
My good Dr.  he is headed back our way---he is very involved with Hooley and the 'Studie"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #963 on: March 09, 2013, 09:40:24 AM »
Now for the next mind warp,  Instrumentation- Data logging:
  I have an 10 year old  QuickData,  I called Dynoroom  Mike at Mitech about the new and the old versions ---He gave me some pointers on how to make my old unit work better for me.

He also pointed me toward OMEGA  website which has all kinds of instrumentation sensors.  Thanks Mike---I think---he warned me that was also a website one could spend hours on---just seeing and learning about the possibilities. 

He was most helpful with helping me understand why he places his sensors as he does.

As I now understand-- to learn what ones turbo system is doing, one needs the following information:

turbine inlet sensors:                                           1. temp & 2. pressure
Between the compressor outlet and the intercooler 3. temp & 4. pressure
Between the intercooler and  throttlebody or carb   5. temp & 6. pressure

Add to that, I will also hope to have roving sensors to log my intercooler water exit temps to learn if my series intercooler works in practice. I am sure my early QuickData is channel limited---I will need to learn to use it to my advantage.

Where am I going to PUT all this stuff?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:10:54 PM by SPARKY »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #964 on: March 09, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
That's "putting" it mildly. I have a pickup and I think I'll be short on space soon. I feel for you Sparky.

Offline Jon

« Reply #965 on: March 09, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
You guys have plenty of room, don't know what your complaining about :0

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #966 on: March 09, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »
Jon,  Some how I knew some bike guy was going to speak up---but the SIZE of the turbo stuff makes a huge difference---there is a reason why some of these cars are so large--Speed Deamon and others come to mind---when you start trying to make a lot of HP---there are big cooling problems that must be dealt with virtually every system on the car.

Offline Jon

« Reply #967 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »
Don't be picking on us poor bike guys. :)
Couldn't resist sorry Sparky, I have all this to look forward to.
Putting the underdrive in is going to make something that was going to be a squeeze now very tight, motor comes forward and everything changes :/

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Tman

« Reply #968 on: March 09, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
Jon,  Some how I knew some bike guy was going to speak up---but the SIZE of the turbo stuff makes a huge difference---there is a reason why some of these cars are so large--Speed Deamon and others come to mind---when you start trying to make a lot of HP---there are big cooling problems that must be dealt with virtually every system on the car.

Got the HRM issue with the Speed Demon on the bench right now studying it. It is amazing how LITTLE the intercoolers are! The plumbing takes up the bulk of the space. I am using it as a template for my own packaging and i think I am winning the battle!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #969 on: March 09, 2013, 10:05:18 PM »
Tman  sometimes I think I am winning but then a wall comes along---well I have pondered and pondered---then I got the plasma torch out and cut the wall---actually some of the weight bars, 180# of lead-- out---  back in 100# of turbos. This thing is not going  to be anything like I originally visulized, but i think we can make it work.

3. They don't quite touch in the middle
2. I am going to put a heat shield from the top of the lead  weights over to the lower frame rail, semi seal it, and vent that area
1. This manifold box is for attaching the wastegate, exhaust pressure pick up and the turbine inlet temp sensor.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:56:29 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #970 on: March 10, 2013, 05:15:08 AM »

Got the HRM issue with the Speed Demon on the bench right now studying it. It is amazing how LITTLE the intercoolers are! The plumbing takes up the bulk of the space. I am using it as a template for my own packaging and i think I am winning the battle!

Hey Trent,

oh, the confidence...... If you think you're winning the battle, I wanna bet you an IPA. When we pulled the pinion in the SOS during Speedweek here, there were a few raised eyebrows when I said , "we have to lift the water tank (220lbs) and hoist the motor to pull the tail-shaft enough to undo the pinion nut....." true.... but you'll have more room than that........
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #971 on: March 10, 2013, 08:01:10 AM »
....." true.... but you'll have more room than that........"  :roll:

LOL Maybe the only time you will ever have as much room as you need is in your minds eye:  I had two of the three water pumps installed with one turbo.  Now I have no idea where we are going to put two of them.  :?  I can move 1 in front of the engine
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:11:04 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #972 on: March 10, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »
I thought a little more about this Bill and figured that satisfaction is only ever a temporary thing with space in special construction....there is ALWAYS something else you can do with it.

We moved the battery this year.....now we might be able to fit an SBC in it.

JOKING, OK......I stole that quote from somewhere...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #973 on: March 10, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
LOL   You guys were rocking in the shop yesterday--- there is one song  I am going to have to listen to the words of real close--the one about the chick-- or sheila??  with the tats and a younger brother 
so far all I get  :|  it is a lament of some kind

ps strange that you mention battery-- that is one of the things that I am  considering relocating!  lol
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:51:29 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #974 on: March 10, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »

Here ya go Bill,
It's called "Ted's an old Biker"

Ted's an old biker, Bet thinks he don't like her , she stays all the same.
She's at a loose end, 'n' Teddy's her only friend since she'd given up the game.
Well she talks when she chews she's got heaps of tattoos, like "press here for service" and "vacancy"
She's a bit of a cook, but she gives him that look like you men are all the same.

Well there's Andy me brother , he got his looks from me mother, he's younger than me.
Ted gets a beer and says "I thought he was queer, whatcha cookin for tea"
She says "nothin for you , talk the way thatcha do, what happened to ya last slave?"
Ted's a little bit hurt, but she's wearin' a skirt, and it's Saturday.

He used to fix cars, now he just keeps the bar at the Terminus.
He says "you know ya life doesn't suck just cause ya run outa luck, take a look at us"
She's good lookin and I'm bright, I reckon we'll do alright, but they wouldn't have us two in church"
Ol' Teddy's no fool he just used to wag school with the older boys.

They do the annual run, the Beeza still pulls a ton, with the two of 'em.
There's Polar and Panda, Humphrey and Head-is and Paddington
But Ol' Brown Bear just died, and Little Ted's still inside, for some other blokes robbery.
But he did own the gun, and he shared in the funds so he said "I spose ya got me"

You know Ted the old biker, Bet's convinced he don't like her, he keeps it that way.
She's got her own games, she calls him all sorts of names, you should hear what she'll say.
But Teddy loves her to death, though she hates being called Beth he slips it some times anyway,
They're sharin' the van, til they move up to Cairns, where the weather's fine.......