Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1097596 times)

Offline Tman

Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #855 on: November 16, 2012, 03:12:18 PM »
I have those same technical jigs! (blocks and steel). I understand getting stalled out, happens to all of us at some time. I am stalled out on diagonals while working on other aspects.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:46:29 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Jon

Re: Wild Weasel<Thud Spud> a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #856 on: November 16, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
Thanks Sparky

Are they Detroit turbos?
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #857 on: November 16, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »
It's looking good!

Am I mistaken, or did you not tell me you had decided against those Detroit turbos? PM me your mailing address, and I'll get this other turbo to you ASAP.

This one should be fun to watch on the salt! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #858 on: November 16, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »
Jon,  The one on the left is from a big HP 60 series Detroit --the one on the right is one of a pair that I have that is a little larger that the Detroit.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #859 on: November 18, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »
Well,  I have spent a lot of time online--researching water to air intercoolers  I am going to have to have something very similar to Robs but the inlets and outlets for air and water will be different due to space requirements and I will be trying to do more with my water.  I do not have nearly as much water capacity as Rob built in his liner.  Smart on him-- dumb on me!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:58:10 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #860 on: November 21, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
Well we ordered a bunch of stuff for the turbos exhaust fabrication Tues.  Today I got the sad news that these turbos I have are not suitable for LSR  Instead of the BIG DD 60 turbos I have the S 400 350 HP stationary eng version---great if you want a 700 hp + or - street eng
But all is not lost-- the big single Garrett I have is good enough for the shake down blow through 468 & 496 I have most of the parts for---this will get me started then when we find if this thing will go straight---we can then MAYBE we can spend the big bucks for the KILLER turbo and put it on my good eng and shoot for the BIG marbles!!!! :roll:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:47:18 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #861 on: November 22, 2012, 09:55:45 AM »
A note to builders from Joe Timney  aka Delaware Chassis Works  v Sparky from years ago:  :-o    a lesson I cant seem to learn or remember at the right time.   :-o

" I build a car to where I could fire it with tack welds---then and only then will I final weld it."

:cry:  He knows that things change between start and finish and tacks are easier to cut out. :cry:

Offline Jon

« Reply #862 on: November 22, 2012, 03:26:29 PM »
Don't weld until you know.
Where's the fun in that??

Was the Detroit Turbo not going to give you the boost you want without too much heat Sparky or just too small?

jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #863 on: November 22, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »
Spot on Jon it is too small and it will generate WAY to much heat to get the hp that I want this time.

I has as best as i can eye ball a 66 wheel on the turbine side and a 72 on the compressor

The Big boy is off a  big Waukeshaw stationary eng --it has a 115 turbine and a 90 on the compressor-- the AR is 1.00 on the turbine and .81 compressor.  nothing fancy 15 year old tech.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #864 on: November 24, 2012, 10:10:57 PM »
caught some intercoolers on sale for 120.  I am going to try making 1 out of two --- it will be 24 inches long 13" wide--I am going to put 2 cores inline with a 2 pass of cooling water.  My issues may be my only having 22 gallons of  cooling tank---We may be looking to other sources of COOL

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #865 on: December 14, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »
Sparky,
Are you making any progress lately?
Btw, our inter cooler is not double pass. It has two cores and each are fed by a separate pump. Key to any icewater intercooler success is to exchange the water rapidly.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #866 on: December 14, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »
Well we ordered a bunch of stuff for the turbos exhaust fabrication Tues.  Today I got the sad news that these turbos I have are not suitable for LSR  Instead of the BIG DD 60 turbos I have the S 400 350 HP stationary eng version---great if you want a 700 hp + or - street eng
But all is not lost-- the big single Garrett I have is good enough for the shake down blow through 468 & 496 I have most of the parts for---this will get me started then when we find if this thing will go straight---we can then MAYBE we can spend the big bucks for the KILLER turbo and put it on my good eng and shoot for the BIG marbles!!!! :roll:

Probably not useful for what you're doing, but some minor experience info:

Borg Warner S400's come in many flavors and are a favorite of sled pullers.  Easy to customize, lots of parts, cheap.  These are where I started at.

Not sure of the math, but here's what a S475 is:

Cheap drop in replacement for a Garrett GT4202 (102mm compressor exducer, 75mm inducer).  Map and interface dimensions almost identical.  Has MWE groove, but is not gated.  Must run external gate for gas apps.  I don't run wastegates.

With 403ci at 4000 rpm, it makes 50 PSIG boost on a diesel.  

IIRC, I tested the S480 also (80mm inducer), but for the life of me I can't remember the results.  Then Garrett sponsored me, and I stopped using BW's.  The Garrett equiv made 798rwhp at 4800rpm uncorrected through an Allison trans, or about 1100HP at the crank SAE, at 58 psig.  It wasn't at full output though.

I think I have both 475 and 480 sitting collecting dust.

I'm running various Garretts from 4202 to 5533?

Note:  Even running 1800F EGT's and overspeeding (way off the top of the map), I've yet to injure either big BW or Garretts unless I barked them hard and repeatedly.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:41:32 AM by JustaRacer »
My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #867 on: December 14, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the info. & offer---- please send me a  PM with your phone number I would like to get more info on applications and your "shelf" items--   our applications would be 500 and 600 CU IN and around 7000 rpm---cant imagine much over 30 psi on a BBC---  we plan on starting in the 12-20 psi range

I am such a turbo rookie I still have to look up all the model and part # to have any idea what I am trying to compare..  I will be busy later today---thanks for being part of my continuing (adult?? ) education!!  lol
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:53:01 AM by SPARKY »

Offline JustaRacer

« Reply #868 on: December 14, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
Note:  There are a lot of guys on this site who know a lot more about turbocharging than I do.  Hopefully some will add some input.

My doctor told me to go out and kill people.
Well, sort of.  He told me to reduce the stress in my life.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #869 on: December 14, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
We're running a Bullseye(modded BW)
S488 on a 370" motor, made 865hp on
12psi. A/R's available from .7 to 1.32...

Like Rob said, great parts availability,
Good price point as well. I believe ours
is rated to 1400hp, retails at $1300
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)