Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1102428 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1185 on: July 14, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
Buddy---I am with you on this. These two pumps should be able to cycle this 22 gallon tank in less than a minute --I think  :-P 

There should be a fairly strong down current created in there.   We plan to warm the eng. with only the radiator water.  Then pump the front mounted radiator in a box full of water; then top offl the rear tank with mostly ice---we will depend on the liquid from the front box and the intercooler to cycle and of course the liquid volume will go up as the ice melts.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #1186 on: July 14, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
I would not worry too much about that strainer. It may restrict flow. I have never known anybody to have a problem with ice going through the pump. Most of our gang use the Rule submersible pumps and they just seem to pass the smaller chunks through. The nice thing is that ice always floats. As long as you are sucking from bottom of tank, you should be getting cold water and not much ice.

Good info, I'm just starting on the ice water tank for Hooley's car.  I have two of the Rule 1100 pumps that I'll be putting in the tank for the two intercoolers.  Which pumps did you use?

I finished the radiator in a box (based on Sparky's design mostly) yesterday and hooked one of the 1100 pumps to it and it pushed 15 gallons a minute through the box.  It is rated at about 18 gallons a minute with no head.  Hooley has a Meziere pump that we will use for the rad-in-a-box when it is in the car,

Sum
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:33:35 AM by Sumner »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1187 on: July 14, 2013, 10:32:48 AM »
Rob don't those rule pumps have built in strainers?  ...

They do...

... but I think I'll also try and protect them some also with some screening. 

Sparky the tank looks good  :-),

Sum

Offline Freud

« Reply #1188 on: July 14, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
It also looks great to see a post done by S U M N E R.

One of the kids came back to the family.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1189 on: July 14, 2013, 12:15:08 PM »
It also looks great to see a post done by S U M N E R.

One of the kids came back to the family.

FREUD

That is what happens when you forget to lock the door  :-).  Hope to see you soon,

Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1190 on: July 14, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
We use a 15 gallon tank, half to 3/4 full depending on vinue. We run a screen as we don't use a plastic submersible pump prefering to use a Jabsco remote pump with bronze impeller and housing.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1191 on: July 14, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
Joey came over for 3 hours hours we are getting closer on the canopy!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1192 on: July 14, 2013, 04:04:55 PM »
OH YEA! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1193 on: July 14, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »
Bill;

I think the abrupt angle of the forward edge of your canopy is going to create some serious drag. Why not lean it back at a shallow angle?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Jon

« Reply #1194 on: July 14, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »
Looks good Sparky.
It's not only the ice that is a worry, I'm worried about torn bits of bag and other dross that the pump can deal with ending up plugged in the cooler core.

jon
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:06:41 PM by Jon »
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1195 on: July 14, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
Neal that is by choice---I am trying to decrease the expected lift at the transition ---by putting more air down the sides and less of it over the hump!

Offline JimL

« Reply #1196 on: July 14, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
I really like that look.  It reminds me of some cool old airplanes.

And some of them were real fast!

There were a couple good reasons for it, and it has been used on other applications where glare makes steering, conning, piloting, etc difficult.

Regards, JimL

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1197 on: July 14, 2013, 09:27:37 PM »
I really like that look.  It reminds me of some cool old airplanes.

And some of them were real fast!

There were a couple good reasons for it, and it has been used on other applications where glare makes steering, conning, piloting, etc difficult.

Regards, JimL

JimL;

Going by a Bf109 canopy, I'd guess it was made that way because it was easier to make and the bullet-proof glass came in flat panels. Even so, the front glass was slanted back.

I still think it would be better to reduce the canopy drag and overcome any lift that may be generated by an aerodynamic canopy elsewhere.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1198 on: July 14, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »
....I still think it would be better to reduce the canopy drag and overcome any lift that may be generated by an aerodynamic canopy elsewhere.

There were a couple reasons for the canopy in that shape.  One is that the glass is bent in one plane and not a compound curve thus something that could be done fairly easily in a home shop.  This also results in better vision as was mentioned above.

I suggested it to Sparky for the reasons above and also that it is a nice teardrop shape and should enter the air pretty well and as Sparky mentioned send some of the air hitting it down the sides of the car.  Time will tell how it works and if it doesn't then Sparky will have another project for next winter  :-).  In relation to the rest of the frontal area it is a fairly small portion of it.  I guess it is just another example of the compromises that have to be made at times  :-),

Sum

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1199 on: July 14, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
Sum;

As they say, "The proof is in the pudding." Some small wool tufts taped on the body will reveal all.