Author Topic: MS LIBERTY a Wild Weasel's belly tank  (Read 1103841 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker
« Reply #1125 on: June 06, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
Been on the phone off and on all morning trying to get my spool gun compatible---seems like I was sold a miss match for my welder---trying to get it sorted out---we need it bad to get the body/canopy area done!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1126 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:35 PM »
 :-o
Marty droped by for about 4 tacks worth and
now we will build the mounts for this thing and align everything an finish making the front panels and button it up---after the mounts are done I will pressure test the water passages and start plumbing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:53:17 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1127 on: June 08, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
 :-o deception  you think you are looking at an intercooler with a small leak ---you may be right---but what you really see is an understanding wife--an a guy kicking himself for not doing this earlier!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:51:29 AM by SPARKY »

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1128 on: June 08, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
Haha! Well, it's better to have an intercooler in the sink, than engine parts strewn all over the kitchen table!

The build is looking great!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1129 on: June 08, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »
Sushhhh ---Buddy that is next week--she is out of town and I am batching!!!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1130 on: June 08, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »
By request

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1131 on: June 08, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »
Andy and I had a great day in the shop----mostly noodle time-- we have now found a place to mount the oil pressure accumulator to protect the turbo's v journal bearings. We also spent a good bit of time on how to mount the instrument panel, the brake & gas pedals.

The largest success is most likely the THERMAL shield plan---it will take 20 times longer to build it than the 2 hrs it took us to NOODLE---but I think we are on the right track.  Part of this time spent in the area was the plenum area and the air intake system.  I have really been thinking about how to protect the turbos from salt and other debris ---we think that we now know how to put two flat type air cleaners---one flat just below the small scoops intake and one at a 45 deg. angle in front of the two tubes that run down toward the turbos.

my head hurts--

we got the oil filter location figured out but we still-- need a place to mount the MSD and the ECU, that will mostly be used for turbo control and data logging this year.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 09:56:36 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #1132 on: June 09, 2013, 12:17:05 PM »
  Sparky, We thought we had the air filter thing figured out until we called K&N and they gave us the area of the filter to properly flow enough air. Way more than a guy thinks.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1133 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »
Thanks BG3 for the heads up!

I was going to try to put the largest tray filter they make--I will give the guys up the street a visit and see what they think

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1134 on: June 10, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
Busy this morning!  Ordered the second turbo diaper from the guys aat Thermal Solutions in Cincy Ohio and stopped by the AirAid guys down the street---what these guys have in common is Made in the USA.   AirAid has this huge Mama Jammer (airaid.com) that will be perfect for the turbos  a huge cone that has a 6" id--- and is 12" high by 9" at the base---now if I can build an air box big enough to mount 2 of those things  we will have the filtration issue done with.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1135 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:15 AM »
Fankie came over tonight and started bracket racing.  He made the bracket for the oil filter---we can now mount it where Andy and I figured out the other day.  I ordered new rocker studs and Maanley 7/16th push rods. 8.500s and 9.350  bye bye lash caps and rockers hitting the retainers!!!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #1136 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:07 AM »
   Here's what we ended up with on the Salt Cat lakester.
 Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #1137 on: June 12, 2013, 01:00:40 PM »
THat looks pretty sweet Doug.

As always I enjoyed getting the opportunity to work on the WW and make something for it. While Im not going to quit my day job to become a fabricator anytime soon  :-), Im enjoying doing this stuff and learning new things along the way. Thanks again Sparky.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1138 on: June 12, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »
Sparky
 You might check clearance on them. When I went to 7/16 pushrods, I had to increase the clearance in the holes for the intakes to eliminate interference. Might not be a problem with your heads.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1139 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »
Ron,  thanks for the reminder--- we will continue to try to feel our way through  this thing!!!