Author Topic: Nuclear Catastrophie  (Read 38968 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Nuclear Catastrophie
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
Link fixed....Off to typing class I go.......................
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Geo

« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
The link is working.  The article is:

Published on Thursday, October 24, 2013 by Common Dreams
Fuel Removal From Fukushima's Reactor 4 Threatens 'Apocalyptic' Scenario
In November, TEPCO set to begin to remove fuel rods whose radiation matches the fallout of 14,000 Hiroshima bombs

Just when you think it couldn'd get any worse.

Geo

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2015, 12:50:03 PM »
As a considerable amount of time has passed since the incident occurred, I wish this thread could be reopened with the same amount of insight and expertise as at the beginning when we really knew very little. It's a fascinating read through all the pages. Am just hoping for some updates with a real historical perspective now that we are down the road as far as we are. Would like to know what parts of doom and gloom have happened, what do we actually know, and maybe what the actual damage, plants and people, has turned out to be.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »
hear yee!, hear yee!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »
20Dec14
TOKYO — The cleanup of Japan’s devastated Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant crossed an important milestone on Saturday when the plant’s operator announced it had safely removed the radioactive fuel from the most vulnerable of the four heavily damaged reactor buildings.

The operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, removed the last remaining fuel rods from the ruined No. 4 reactor building, putting the rods inside a large white container for transportation to another, undamaged storage pool elsewhere on the plant’s grounds. The company, known as Tepco, had put a high priority on removing the No. 4 unit’s some 1,500 fuel rods because they sat in a largely unprotected storage pool on an upper floor of the building, which had been gutted by a powerful hydrogen explosion during the March 2011 accident.

This had led to fears of additional releases of radioactive material if the pool was damaged further, such as by an earthquake. By succeeding in the technically difficult task of extracting those rods, Tepco eliminated one of the plant’s most worrisome vulnerabilities. This is also the first time that the fuel has been removed from one of the four wrecked reactor buildings.

It took almost four years to reach this goal, as the cleanup has been plagued by mishaps and a so far unstoppable flow of groundwater that has flooded the basements of the crippled reactor buildings. The aging Fukushima Daiichi plant suffered a triple meltdown after a huge earthquake and tsunami struck on March 11, 2011, knocking out vital cooling systems.

Tepco still faces the far more challenging task of removing the ruined fuel cores from the three reactors that melted down in the accident. These reactors were so damaged — and their levels of radioactivity remain so high — that removing their fuel is expected to take decades. Some experts have said it may not be possible at all, and have called instead for simply encasing those reactors in a sarcophagus of thick concrete.

The fuel cores from those three reactors, Nos. 1-3, are believed to have melted like wax as the uncooled reactors overheated, forming lumps on the bottom of the reactor vessels. Scientists have warned that the hot, molten uranium may have even melted through the metal containment vessels, possibly reaching the floor of the reactor buildings or even the earth beneath.

However, it was the storage pool at the No. 4 unit, and particularly its highly radioactive spent fuel rods, that had caused the most intense concern in the first weeks after the accident. While the No. 4 reactor itself had been safely shut down when the accident happened, hydrogen released by the meltdowns at the other reactors caused an enormous explosion that blew off the reactor building’s roof and walls, leaving its storage pool exposed to the air.

Japanese and American nuclear officials at first worried that the pool may have been cracked in the explosion, but this proved not to be the case. Still, falling water levels in the storage pool caused anxiety that the fuel rods within could be exposed to the atmosphere. This would have caused a far larger release of radioactive materials than what occurred during the actual accident, which spewed contamination across a wide swath of northern Japan.

Correction: January 7, 2015
A headline in some editions on Dec. 21 with an article about the removal of nuclear fuel from the most vulnerable part of the ruined Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan, where a triple meltdown occurred in 2011, referred imprecisely to the location of the fuel rods that were removed. As the article correctly noted, they were removed from a reactor building, not from a reactor.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tortoise

« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
About 16,000 people were killed by the earthquake and tsunami. Any deaths due to the release of radiation from the reactor appear comparatively miniscule.

From people who risk their lives for fun, this worry seems odd.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
We are supposed to be having FUN!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »
I guess no more hysteria about an impending possibility. Not much response for all the initial hype.
Richard

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »
All political energy has been 'safely' extracted by those who cannot pass an 8th grade science test from my generation! Next crisis please!  :cheers:

Is it just me or does everything people do seem to have consequences?  :? :? :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2015, 02:39:46 PM »
All political energy has been 'safely' extracted by those who cannot pass an 8th grade science test from my generation! Next crisis please!  :cheers:

Is it just me or does everything people do seem to have consequences?  :? :? :?

Ah, the grey area, where Isaac Newton's third law of motion collides with Tip O'Neil's first law of politics -

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - except in my district.

They're going to be trying to engineer their way out of this one for a really long time.

I expect a nuclear engineering student graduating today could easily retire on the decommissioning of Fukushima.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
While driving back from El M today we got to wonder about this thread and we would like and update if possible!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2016, 12:34:40 AM »
Jeez Mate, I thought somebody had started a build diary on my liner! :-D
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2016, 07:54:43 AM »
lol  :cheers:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »
Sid, it is time though!!!.
I vote for the KBT diary. :-D

Teach me.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2016, 01:26:34 PM »
  I find it not only amusing but true to life that the Subject Title is misspelled... or perhaps it should be retitled "The Blind Leading The Blind."
                                                                                           O.R.B., out...........................................................
Bob Drury