Author Topic: Personal Ice Chest Cooler  (Read 6473 times)

HotRodV8

Personal Ice Chest Cooler
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »
It is 80 degrees in Florida and I want to make a personal cooler like I have seen in pictures at B'ville to cool the driver/rider while in line. I checked on line and saw designs with air pulled over the ice with a 12v fan in the lid and those with some type of car "heater core" in which the ice water is circulated to feed cold air to the fan.

I plan on a 40 or 50 quart Coleman cooler with wheels and a 10' outside hose directed to your hot spots. I plan to use a medium sized motorcycle battery.

Comments on the best design from your experience.

Bill

Offline 836dstr

Re: Personal Ice Chest Cooler
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:05:17 PM »
Bill,

Are you talking about using a "Cool Shirt" ?

Tom

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
If you're thinking of blowing cooled air towards the driver or something -- I've got a photo of one of them, but said picture is at the house.  And I don't have inner details showing how the air is cooled.  That is, if the air just passes above the ice it won't get as cold as if it's blown/drawn through the ice.  But if the second method is used -- what prevents the melted ice (otherwise commonly known as water) from dribbling back into the input device?

If you're thinking of the air/ice/air cooler -- I do think I remember that the blower was mounted right on the cooler's body, and the hose (which was soft flexible stuff, like a vacuum cleaner hose) was also there - maybe on the top.  The hose is removable for transport and packing.

Need more?  I'll try to find that photo if you'd like.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline The wonderful One

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »
Take a look at Veskimo. --- sales@veskimo.com --- Good part. Good folks. Work well with racers on both design and price. The Wonderful One

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »
This is what we used on the IMSA cars when we ran at the hot tracks. The air intake is on the left and runs through a filter and exits on the right.  I may have a spare unit for sale, if you want send me a PM.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

HotRodV8

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
Tom - - I'm not using a "cool shirt."  Just looking for cool air out of a flex hose of about 1 1/2 inch dia.

SSS - -  I saw a cooler with a plastic divider down the center of the cooler box. Fan was on the top left and the outside air came in the top right. Air moved down over the ice cubes and then across through holes in the bottom of the plastic divider and then up through the left side ice and into the fan. One type showed a bilge pump circulating the ice water through a core mounted just below the fan in the lid. Fan and bilge pump ran off a small 12v battery.

I am a hands-on guy and love to build things like this "project of the month."
I rather not buy one. Not as much fun.

Thanks for your input so far.

Note; I can't log on LR.com on my computer. I have to run to the library. Another unexpected project of the month.

See ya on the coooooool salt.

Bill

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »
I saw a version that a guy from AZ had made for his low wing homebuilt...it was sitting off to the side of his plane at EAA a few years ago with the cover open.

Really nothing more than an inlet hose that looped around itself and was fastened to the inside floor of the cooler. I am guessing the loop was to keep cold water from splashing out.

The exhaust was pushed out by a small 12V fan. He just sat it on the passenger seat next to him and plugged it in.

I asked how it worked. He said that no matter what, the air coming out of the box always felt cooler. When it is 80 degrees the air coming out is something like 76 degrees, but feels cooler. I am guessing that when it is 110 degrees, the air coming out is 106 and Still Feels Cooler.

Mark

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:05:24 PM by wolbrink471 »
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline The wonderful One

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
I hope you all don't mind but I would like to stick myself into this one more time. I am having Veskimo do a cooler for me. (You could do this yourself for very little money) Think of the heater core for your car. It is small. Put it in a box. Fill the box ice and some water. Blow air in one tube of the core. Guess what comes out of the other tube. --- Get a new core. They smell better. --- Mine will also support both air to the helmet and a vest and is still small enough to carry. The Wonderful One

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
I hope you all don't mind but I would like to stick myself into this one more time. I am having Veskimo do a cooler for me. (You could do this yourself for very little money) Think of the heater core for your car. It is small. Put it in a box. Fill the box ice and some water. Blow air in one tube of the core. Guess what comes out of the other tube. --- Get a new core. They smell better. --- Mine will also support both air to the helmet and a vest and is still small enough to carry. The Wonderful One

Any pictures of this nice sounding luxury!?

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »
Here is a double element pass thru cooler,,, just attach a blower and hose.

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com