Author Topic: SFI 38.1  (Read 20529 times)

Offline johnneilson

Re: SFI 38.1
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 05:09:22 PM »
The lid is SFI 38.1 compliant ???

MIke

Stiil requires belts.................. and paper
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »
Okay...... NOW I GET IT!...... if the driver doesn't go fast enough, you put it over his head and with a lot of speed and force, raise and lower the top lid..... he will be wishing that he had experienced a HANS device in action rather than go through that again!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 01:00:24 AM »
There is a unit sold by a company called ISAAC that connects to the shoulder straps and is claimed to work effectively with ANY seat angle ..... it is NOT SFI approved though - due to the fact that is does NOT release with the release of your safety harness- it requires extra pins to be pulled. I sent an email to Lee Kennedy and Kiwi Steve asking as to the SCTA-BNIs interest or inclination to allowing its use. I have, to date, received no answer so I assume that it will NOT be acceptable. But see links below anyway. There is an interesting video clip embedded in the first link showing side by side testing with a HANS device. It appears that the shoulder belts slip off the HANS device during the crash simulation:

Had a discussion about this with a few folks and it sounds like there are enough SFI rated head and neck restraint systems that fit a multitude of applications available now that there is really no reason to accept a non-rated device except in the most extreme situation.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline fastman614

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »
There is a unit sold by a company called ISAAC that connects to the shoulder straps and is claimed to work effectively with ANY seat angle ..... it is NOT SFI approved though - due to the fact that is does NOT release with the release of your safety harness- it requires extra pins to be pulled. I sent an email to Lee Kennedy and Kiwi Steve asking as to the SCTA-BNIs interest or inclination to allowing its use. I have, to date, received no answer so I assume that it will NOT be acceptable. But see links below anyway. There is an interesting video clip embedded in the first link showing side by side testing with a HANS device. It appears that the shoulder belts slip off the HANS device during the crash simulation:

Had a discussion about this with a few folks and it sounds like there are enough SFI rated head and neck restraint systems that fit a multitude of applications available now that there is really no reason to accept a non-rated device except in the most extreme situation.

I have to agree with you on that point Nathan.... since I posted that, the "Defender" has been certified and the DJ Safety device shown on thier home page is, apparently, also accepted by SCTA with SFI certification pending. The DJ device looks like it will cover applications which are more "laydown" .... I am at present waiting on parachute info and an answer to some questions about their new head and neck restraint. If it looks like info I should post, I will do so.

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Fheckro

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
I'm looking at the ISP website and they boast 39.1 certified. :?

What exactly do  38.1 and 39.1 say? I dnt see anything on the web about it... and are these required ? 

Fred

9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »
The problem I have is that many of these units are different by design and wish there was a way I could try a few to see what works best for my car before setting down the coin.  

I get that some say they are for different seat angles and whatnot but that doesnt always mean they are better for getting out of the vehicle.

I would rather be able to exit the vehicle and sacrifice comfort if need be.

Looks like I am going to have to roll the dice and hope.

-stupid safety stuff anyway......

~JH
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:56:52 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
I'm looking at the ISP website and they boast 39.1 certified. :?

What exactly do  38.1 and 39.1 say? I dnt see anything on the web about it... and are these required ? 

Fred

38.1 SFI is the current spec for HNR's   ISP is a seat manufacturer, not HNR's... they may however sell HNR's and I think the partner with Safety Solutions,,, makers of several models of 38.1 HNR's and some darn good seat belts too.

Here is link to ISP
http://www.ispseats.com/

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
Gentlemen,
38.1 spec is for head & neck restraint systems. 39.1 spec is for stock car seats.

Joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
One question--- if a certified head & neck restraint system protects the helmet from sideways motion in a crash, why is the same thing required on the chassis (lateral helmet restraint tabs)? Is this a case of "belt & suspenders?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »
One question--- if a certified head & neck restraint system protects the helmet from sideways motion in a crash, why is the same thing required on the chassis (lateral helmet restraint tabs)? Is this a case of "belt & suspenders?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

The real purpose for the H&N is forward motion, not side to side. Although the 38.1 specifies some side to side restraint, it is forward motion arrested or absorbed by the H&N that stops the seperation of the base of the skull.

The seat or chassis is to have the side motion limit padding.

John

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »
Thanks, John. It seemed like some H&N restraint systems were claiming that they also prevented side-to-side motion so it looked like duplication.

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 01:32:39 AM »
Redundancy ain't so bad sometimes.  :wink:

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:39 AM »
Nathan,

I have heard rumors that the ISSAC will be accepted even though not 38.1 certified.

Care to comment?

John

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 02:16:25 AM »
John, let me ask you this: do you think the SCTA will start accepting SFI type seat belts or SFI type fire suits?

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
Nathan, no, and I hope it stays that way.

John