Author Topic: Clarification on new rules please  (Read 6209 times)

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
Re: Clarification on new rules please
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 01:39:11 AM »
Well, I think I will investigate and see if my 1963 Avanti has laminated side glass, then I should be OK, but I know for a fact that my rear window was tempered glass, because we blew it out at 185 mph on the 5 mile track about 8 years ago and it took 75 volunteers and my race team over one hour to pick up all the glass,  :cry: Boy did I have to buy a lot of beer in the pits that year! So after that experience we shaped the rear window into the correct form out of Lexan and bolted in it, been fine now for the last 8 years and been OK at 216mph. I've got some neat decals on the side window I don't want to lose by installing lexan, so I hope the side windows are laminated. Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
Dave,
I just revisited this thread.... and we have some nice stuff on our rear windows as well....

Carefully take out your windows and have them scanned and get someone to make up decals that duplicate what you have.... it is not expensive anymore to get stuff like this done..... or even.... have it printed, somehow, directly on to your lexan windows- which might be a little more complicated and costly though

But save the old windows as they are.... decals and all!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 12:58:22 AM »
"Fastman", you are 100% correct, we recently started looking into what you said about keeping the decals (computerized technology makes it possible) for history purposes, that's what we will have to do the racing in 2012, we made out back window out of tinted lexan 6 years ago, so we only have to handle the side windows, thanks for your comments, see ya at Speed Week. Dave :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine