Author Topic: Clarification on new rules please  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Clarification on new rules please
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:08 AM »
Ok I need some help please, (Hot nuts, not that kind of help :).

Rule Clarification.

As I read the new rule book, as I understand it by 2012 ALL Cars, regardless of speed or class will have to have Lexan polycarbonate windows is this true? Is plain plexi glass acceptable instead of Lexan?

Drive Hub:
For those of us that is "less knowledgeable" what is a Hotchkiss type rear axle? I have a 1996 Geo that I run, and its front wheel drive. Ok on the front CV axle, it just has a big nut that you have to torque to 180 FT pds, no clip to retain the nut, other than you take a hammer and notch the nut. Also, under the car on the front suspension, the bolts are not secured with cotter pins, it did not come this way from the factory.

Is this acceptable?

TIA
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline dw230

Re: Clarification on new rules please
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
rulebookinfo@scta-bni.org, send email or www.scta-bni.or, click on rules questions on line form.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:23:20 PM »
One easy answer is. No. Plexiglas (cast Acrylic) is not a substitute for Lexan (Pollycarbonate). Plexy is brittle and has several of the same problems as glass.   

Offline fastman614

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »
From The Rules on the Home Page:
Vehicles with T-Tops or moon roof panels shall have the panels retained with tabs or straps.

This is for 2011 ONLY!:
All vehicles over 250 MPH shall replace all non-laminated safety glass windows with polycarbonate material. All other glass, such as headlights, must be covered with SAFETY film.

Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles in classes where the record exceeds 200 MPH must have all non-laminated safety glass windows replaced with polycarbonate material.

Beginning January 1, 2012 all vehicles with “frameless” side windows, regardless of speed, must have all non-laminated windows constructed of polycarbonate material.

Additional bracing must be installed to prevent window blowout or collapse.

Added from 2010 rulebook, in effect for 2011:
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:04:26 AM »
Here's a thought in regard to the window rule for 2012, it says vehicles that go over 200 mph must replace windows that are not laminated glass with polycarbonate material, my question would be if you have side windows that are non-liminated glass, could you replace them with laminated glass instead of lexan (polycarbonate) material??  Just a thought, it might me easier and more rigid to do for the side windows that are frameless on the newer cars.  Dave  :?
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »
Here's a thought in regard to the window rule for 2012, it says vehicles that go over 200 mph must replace windows that are not laminated glass with polycarbonate material, my question would be if you have side windows that are non-liminated glass, could you replace them with laminated glass instead of lexan (polycarbonate) material??  Just a thought, it might me easier and more rigid to do for the side windows that are frameless on the newer cars.  Dave  :?

I have been told that the Studebakers from the '50s did use laminated glass for all of their windows-( I do NOT know it to be fact though).... and thus, they are exempt from having to do this window change.... of course, laminated glass doesn't fracture into a zillion tiny shards if the window breaks or gets blown out.

My take would be this, make an official request and get an official response FIRST - BEFORE YOU GO AHEAD AND DO THIS!

But with all of the curves that most, if not all, modern cars have in their side glass, using lexan would undoubtedly make it far easier to duplicate most side and rear windows.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »
Always use caution when reading things into the rules....  It does not say if the stock window is not laminated you must put in lexan, it says non laminated must be lexan...
If you have or put in laminated glass, then you don't need lexan.. to me it seems either/or laminated or lexan.
Of course keep in mind that I am not the board certified decision maker.... just been reading the rules for a long time.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
My 1953 Studebaker had Laminated Side Glass... I did however replace the back side glass and door glass with all new Lexan...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:52:27 AM »
I have been told that the Studebakers from the '50s did use laminated glass for all of their windows-( I do NOT know it to be fact though).... and thus, they are exempt from having to do this window change.... of course, laminated glass doesn't fracture into a zillion tiny shards if the window breaks or gets blown out.

Not true, I had a 58 Packard that the rear window blew into a million pieces, parked it in the shade, and when the sun hit the car, it pressurized and and blew the rear window out, some of the pieces were 50 foot away.  :?

Steve 
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 09:18:27 AM »
Hey Steve, Studes and Packards are not the same company... yes I know near the end of Packard, Studebaker bought or merged them, but they were different.  I've been away from the Stude scene for a while now, but that is my memory....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
Stainless --

The '58's were Studebakers with Packard taillights.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »
  Stan should know, I think he drives a 4-door to his daily detox meeting......... :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
Yeah -- and with that McCulloch (sp?) on it, it's surprised some ol'farts like you, Bob.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 01:54:37 PM »
  One of my relatives had a 54 Stude with a bigger Packard V8 in it with a 3 spd overdrive.  This would have been about 1960 or 61.
  It was pretty darn quick and probably had 4:11 gears with the overdrive.
  For me it was love at first sight, and when I first visited Speedweek in 1995, I knew what I was going to build within 20 minutes.
  I had a old jr. fuel early olds engine which I thought "what the hell" and stuffed it in a 53, and the rest is History:  Old(s) Stud(e) Racing .......... 219 with the Early Olds, and last year 238 with a BBC.
  Hope to get Gary Spencer's A/CFALT record this year on 25%.            Bob
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:24:14 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 05:20:05 PM »
Fastman is correct...always read the entire rule and SEE if it pertains to you and the class record you are running in...I remember when 1" luguts became part of the rules and many guys panic. They never read the speed and neither did some of the inspectors. That isn't to say not to do it as the rules laid out in the book are the minimum required. The speed rules do not require a parachute on my roadster in the XO class but would not run without it...........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro