Author Topic: Cooling/Hood Problem  (Read 2058 times)

DocBeech

Cooling/Hood Problem
« on: March 05, 2011, 08:46:01 PM »
I have been reading rules off and on and well I have a question now. I had to replace the stock hood with a vented CF hood. Now I didn't exactly change the lines. As far as I have read your ok with using CF as long as it stays true to the original design of the body? Well the real question I have is that I had to switch to a vented hood because I was running hot. By hot I mean really really hot. Oil temps of 240 degrees, and EGTs of 1800 degrees. I replaced the radiator and the fan. Replaced the thermostat for good measure but I realized the air was being trapped in the engine bay and heat soaking my car. So I now have a vented hood. Does this DQ me from the F/GT class? Without the vented hood I run 240 oil, 215 water, 1800EGT wide open. With the hood and radiator replacement I run 215 Oil, 190 Water, 1550 EGT. I was able to release the trapped air, and improve the amount of time the water is allowed to cool in the radiator. I was also able to allow the air to flow through the oil coolers, and not just over them into the engine bay. The air flow over the oil coolers (which are stock, and the radiator is still bolt in at the same size it just has better coolant flow inside than the 6 year old one did) is now allowed to vent out of the car and not just circle back to the radiator.

Offline dw230

Re: Cooling/Hood Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:14:55 PM »
I forgot, which venue do you plan to run?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

DocBeech

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
I am running in the Stock GT class for the F engine I believe its a 1.3L Rotary so its handicapped out to 2.6L which I think is F class.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
Thats good for the vehicle. What I meant by venue is what piece of ground?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »
Dan is the man but I would say you cant:

4.A
4.C

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
What I think Dan wants to know is.... are you running at El Mirage/Bonneville or Maxton, or Mojave, or Texas etc
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

DocBeech

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:03:06 AM »
Texas and I will run bonneville when I have the money for the trip

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:04:41 PM »
 Then you should look at the Texas rulebook and build accordingly. When you are ready to run a SCTA class you can use their rule book and contacts to insure you are compliant.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth