Author Topic: Maxton April Meet Whos Going?  (Read 21082 times)

Offline MiltonP

Re: Maxton April Meet Whos Going?
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »
I used to stay at the Hampton Inn in Laurenburg and it was nice.  I have a RV at the  Sleepy Bear Campground in Lumberton so I have been staying there the past few years.  It is an easy ride down 74 to the track and I know all the places to eat, drink and shop so it works well for me.  Not looking forward to relocating the rv if/when we lose Maxton next season.   :-(

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:49 AM »
John, are you aware of the big changes at Maxton - changes that might well affect you and the other BlueBird folks?  Among other things -- no entrance before 9AM Friday, which might not be a problem, but also - you might not be able to park where you've gathered in the past.  I'd suggest that (if you haven't already done so) you contact Joe Timney for details -- before you park and then get asked to move.

Before Friday I will be in contact with Joe Manis who at my last checking still owned the area that we parked on (Manis Manufactured Homes) I had already talked with Joe Timney earlier in the year and we won't be coming to the track until Friday morning, we can be very flexible as to where we park.

I talked to Joe Manis (Manis Manufactured Homes) and he has given us the OK to park on his airport property where we have parked for the past few years just off of Short Shutdown on the concrete pad, there will be plenty of room for those of you that want to also park in there, so ask at the gate to make sure nothing has changed and we can access the area in our normal fashion by the taxiways, as far as I know we will have a smaller than normal Blue Bird group there so there should be plenty of extra parking area, we have 6 'Birds waiting here in Dillon, SC that will be heading up to Maxton on Friday morning and at least a couple more coming that we know about.

We enjoy having company visit and join us, so either come park with us or at least drop on by.

JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »
Newbe question, is it allowed and or advisable to leave your race car and trailer (open trailer) at the track over night?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »
Yes, it is allowed to leave your stuff overnight.  In the past there was "unofficial" security, in the form of a good number of folks that'd camp out at the track.  However -- last year or so there was some thievery and vandalism of stuff -- and therefore "real" security forces were contacted to provide more and better security.  I presume that force will be there this year -- but don't take any unnecessary chances.  Make sure things are put away and well-locked, etc.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »
I've left my stuff out w/o issue - but that doesn't mean there couldn't be.  As Jon said, exercise reasonable care and caution.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline redcatch

« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »
Loaded and will leave 1400 tomorrow. Let the fun begin
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
I know I'm still new here, but I'll be showing up to watch the fun Friday evening (straight drive from DC after work) and camping out in the RV.  If anyone needs an extra hand, I'm more than happy to help out (aka live vicariously since my car isn't finished yet).  Most likely will be in a  old "Car Club at Virginia Tech"  T-shirt.

Blake
-Blake S

Offline JackB750

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
Was planning to be there to help out with my long time buddy/helper Don and his 500cc Triumph project but it's still not done! May? Possibly.
PerformanceWerx-Chasing Motorcycle Land Speed Records ;

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »
Definitely going to be there but sadly the "replacement" car isn't ready. I was wondering if any of you kind and generous and wonderful and outstanding folks might consider sharing a little (very little) seat time as my wife's new car isn't ready for this meet. She would keep it  under 125mph as she does not have her licence yet and we (I) would be more than willing to help share some costs. She is jonesing real bad and I will have to listen to it all weekend. Please help. :cry: :cry: :-)
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
After a week of late nights we're finally happy with the car. I don't know how this turd ran at Bonneville the way it was. Mucho better now.  Loading up today and leaving late tonight
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:39 AM »
heading out the door to go south!   Forecast is clear but 20 mph winds from the west saturday could make things interesting.  Not sure what the cutoff is for crosswinds.  Sunday looks better as seems to have been the pattern over the past few years.  Duc was not ready so the 500ex is on the trailer.

On a side note,  I have been wondering about the use of Twitter for posting Land Speed results.  The tag #LSR is used by the German community for who knows what but as far as I can tell no one has used either the tag #LSRNEWS or the account @LSRNEWS both of which are easy enough to remember.  It is easy to set up to follow an account an always see the latest messages.  If Slim is real adventuresome he could set up an automatic follow 'pane' on the homepage here similar to the one linked below for PA Sprintcar News which follows a list of accounts.  Some junk but mostly good race updates on weekends.  Anyways, just a thought.   :cheers:

http://www.paposseracing.com/

Note - the twitter pane is on the left after a short scroll down.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
Hunh?  I have no Twitter experience, nor any Facebook time -- so all of those words kinda fly past the top of my head.  There may be value in what you say -- but since I don't know my butt from third base -- if you want the site to try it you'll need to hold my hand very tightly and walk me through the process.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »
Milton,
Both Don Smith & I have done tweets from the track when we can. The trouble is hearing what's going on & having the time to post it. There's a few west coasters here that get my facebook & twitter feeds and usually cross post to this board. It's a good idea but without someone "on staff" for regular updates it would probably be a wasted effort.

I'm slightly under the weather at the moment and a tad rusty on my two wheel riding so there's a good change I'll only be piloting the pit bike this meet. If that's the case I'll try to make some updates if anything exciting occur rs.

See all y'all tomorrow.

Debbie

PS my twitter is DahMurf :)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
Just thinking it may be easier for folks to tweet them in versus entering posts directly to the forum.  Of course it would be great if someone was converting them to forum posts.  No rush intended as I was thinking more towards speedweek.  Should be easier to tweet in stuff via phones theoretically.  A little damp down here but hopefully the rain will get out of by morning.

Offline 116ciHemi

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »
If someone wants to either have a twitter feed or just has time every so often to give me a phone call, I can throw together an hourly post on Saturday. I'll be by my computer most of the day writing a paper, and a breaks would be nice and I would like to stay in the loop also.

-Walt