Author Topic: 36 Hp VW Bug stuff  (Read 56567 times)

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
36 Hp Type 64 Coming to the Challenge
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:08 AM »
Creating a T64 from scratch is an expensive and time consuming process. Here is the latest photo from Bruce Cook and his crew showing the car is now resting on the chassis, windows and frames installed. Plans are to have the car ready to race in 2015 and take it to a ECTA meet in Ohio for preliminary test and tuning. And hopefully set a new 36hp Challenge Unlimited top speed record.

Stay tuned for more photos as the project proceeds...........................

Burly

Sorry folks. Rearranged my Photo Bucket pics and most my photos disappeared. Here is a redo of the latest one.....................................Burly

INTRODUCTION:

A crew of four North Carolina craftsmen have been building the body, chassis and engine for what is a recreation of the most beautiful Volkswagen ever crafted, the infamous 1939 Volkswagen KDF Type 64 (aka Type 60K10) Berlin to Rome racer.

This very special project began almost three years ago and is now 80% complete. The chassis is rolling and the front and rear windows were recently fitted.

The car will compete in the 36hp Challenge Unlimited 36 category and the teams goal is to capture the fifty one year old record of Dick Beiths Pepco supercharged belly tank racer (aka lakester). Minimum speed goal is 130 miles per hour against the 51 year old record of 129.68 miles per hour.

Wolfsburg Wests Okrasa style heads will be part of the potent big bore 36hp engine being developed to meet and then exceed their goals. Our "1" Club hats are off to Bruce, Dave, Whitey and Elbert.

UPDATE:

It has been a couple of months since we first introduced the Type 64 project being crafted in North Carolina for the 36hp Challenge. Below are some new photos showing the progress to date. The world is watching as this team continues to create a very special reproduction of the 1938 Volkswagen Type 64.

Stay tuned to these pages for more updates and photos as they become available. For more info about this Type 64 and the VW Challenge go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/36hpvw.challenge and "Friend" the 36hp VW Challenge.

Lookin' good fellas......................

Burly

Offline Kiwi Paul

Re: 36 Hp VW Bug stuff
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »
As a Metalcrafter and Fabricator myself, I am in absolute awe of the Craftsmanship involved in this project. Really a neat deal, Burly....

• Age 70
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 12:43:19 AM »
As a Metalcrafter and Fabricator myself, I am in absolute awe of the Craftsmanship involved in this project. Really a neat deal, Burly....

The folks building this will appreciate your comments KP, especially since this is also your profession.................................Burly

ps-I too am in awe ! ! !

• Age 70
Type 64 Coming To The 36hp Challenge
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »
Below are two new photos of the T64 dash and engine compartment plus reposts of earlier photos that became deleted. Hopefully these will not disappear a second time! While you can see progress is being made, this will be the last update post for awhile.

The publicity this car has generated created a problem for the builders with too many interruptions from both media and curious observers calling and stopping by the shop(s) and it has seriously slowed their ability to spend time completing the T64 versus "talking about it"! Any further updates will be at the discretion of the builders and it is requested that all contact with them be deferred until after completion of this very special 36hp Challenge racer.

Thanx so much for your understanding and patience.

Burly

• Age 70
36 Hp Challenge Type 64 Update
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:35 AM »
It has been awhile since the last update on the 36hp Challenge Type 64 recreation being built in North Carolina. The crew of Bruce Cook, Dave MIller, Whitey Worsham and Elbert Efird have been working vigorously behind the scenes to make this masterpiece come together so I thought I would post the latest photos they have shared. As can be seen, the extremely difficult part of creating the body, all of the interior panels, are now formed and installed. Kudos to Dave for this amazing effort. Enjoy the images............Burly

All photos by Bruce Cook

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »
Pretty cool!! :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »
Wow, that is amazing craftsmanship. That is serious commitment by all involved.

Thanks for the photos.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »
That's just incredible work !

• Age 70
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »
G'day everyone

Below is the latest T64 36hp Challenge racer update from Dave at Copacetic. Enjoy.........

Burly

Happy New Year!

It has been a long time since the last photos in July, but the work continues.

The doors and lids have been been assembled. The front lid and doors are hinged and latched.

The rear lid needs more attention to the fit, and it will be pinned and latched rather than hinged.

The difficult engineering and design issues have been solved, though I am certain that there will be refinements before the project is complete.

Yes, there is still a lot of work left, but I can see the completed body from here.

I’m still working on the taillight configuration, but I think I’ll stick with “snowflakes.” Fortunately, the taillights will be pretty simple to change around. It looks like each of the original T64's had three distinct and different configurations, so I figure a fourth would have also.

The rear 3/4 view shows the "snowflake" 55 to 57 taillight assemblies. I will describe them as "non T64" style to distinguish the clear definition between the Copacetic T64 vehicle(s) and the KDF originals.

I’ll let the engine and chassis guys update you on their progress.

Dave Miller
Copacetic Metal Shaping

Offline noboD

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
This car is incredible. Thanks for the updates. What is the rear glass from?

• Age 70
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2015, 01:25:33 AM »
This car is incredible. Thanks for the updates. What is the rear glass from?

No idea noboD. Details are still being held under wraps until the cars driving debut! Perhaps in 2016?

Burly