Author Topic: 36 Hp VW Bug stuff  (Read 56570 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
36 Hp VW Bug stuff
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
I get news releases from BurlyBug frequently - and never thought that I should be posting them in their own thread.  Since they likje running at World of Speed -- here's where I'll be filing them from now on.

Friends of the Challenge

Many folks have already acquired the new Wolfsburg West 'Okrasa' style heads and/or head and dual carb kits for their 36hp Challenge engine. Many new racers however may not be aware of the parts numbers available for the variations on the heads and kits that Wolfsburg West makes available and so I thought I would share the part numbers and descriptions with you in case this information would make ordering easier for your next 36hp engine project. I have also included Shauns email address at WW so you can contact him directly regarding any questions you may have about the items described below.

Shaun contact info:  stunstill@wolfsburgwest.com

111 101 351OK   Dual port cylinder head, no valves with seats and guides.
111 101 351OR   Dual port cylinder head, no seats or guides
111 198 351OK   Dual port cylinder head, complete with valves
111 198 700         Complete dual port kit with original style linkage
111 198 700A      Complete dual port kit with CSP style bolt on linkage

Since many of you will be modifying the stock WW dual port heads, being able to purchase them with and without certain components may be better for your project. And remember, the heads do not have to be stock to qualify for the $1000.00 contingency program award Wolfsburg West has made available to the 36hp Challenge racers in the DSS36 Bug, Ghia and Bus categories for 2011.

Again, please contact Shaun if you would like more information on this truly special 36hp high performance product.

May the Speed be with you................

Burly
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 36hplandspeedracer

• Age 70
Re: 36 Hp VW Bug stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »

Friends of the Challenge

Three 'big deals' have recently occurred regarding this years racing in the 36hp Challenge that I will list below:

1st---RK Smith from HOT VW's has just announced in the April issue of the magazine that he has scheduled a visit to Bonneville this year to cover the 36hp Challenge and other VW's racing at the World of Speed event in September. Be sure to have your VW's looking great as they may get caught on film(O.K., on a digital card, but you know what I mean). In the past I have provided Bonneville coverage to HOT VW's and the 2010 year event's story should soon be included in a summer issue of the magazine. Having HVW's on site in 2011will mean better photography and more timely publication of your efforts and their interest is truly appreciated.

2nd---Weber 48 IDA(and IDM) Carburetors are now legal in the DSS36 categories of the 36hp Challenge. We have recently received confirmation by way of published reports showing these carburetors were available in 1964 on Shelby Cobra's making them pre-65 and legal to run in DSS. This should open up more carburetor possibilities for many DSS Challenge participants that have been unable to locate good performing components in the used market.

3rd--- Wolfsburg West has offered a $1000.00 contingency award to 36hp Challengers racing in the Bug, Ghia and Bus DSS (pre 65 dual carb) categories. To win this award, it is not necessary to use the complete Okrasa replica kit they now manufacture. You only have to run the WW dual port heads supplied in the kits and also sold separately. These heads can be modified and used with the aforementioned Weber 48 IDA carbs if you choose. 

Many folks have already acquired the new Wolfsburg West 'Okrasa' style heads and/or head and dual carb kits for their 36hp Challenge engine. Many new racers however may not be aware of the parts numbers available for the variations on the heads and kits that Wolfsburg West makes available and so I thought I would share the part numbers and descriptions with you in case this information would make ordering easier for your next 36hp engine project. I have also included Shauns email address at WW so you can contact him directly regarding any questions you may have about the items described below.

Shaun contact info:  stunstill@wolfsburgwest.com

111 101 351OK   Dual port cylinder head, no valves with seats and guides.

111 101 351OR   Dual port cylinder head, no seats or guides

111 198 351OK   Dual port cylinder head, complete with valves

111 198 700         Complete dual port kit with original style linkage

111 198 700A      Complete dual port kit with CSP style bolt on linkage

Since many of you will be modifying the stock WW dual port heads, being able to purchase them with and without certain components may be better for your project.

4th---The Australian version of Bonneville kicks off this years 36hp Challenge with as many as five or six 36hp entries participating. The DLRA Speedweek starts this week with Steve Muller and his Team Ratmuller Racing leading the charge with both big block and 36hp racers being assembled as we speak. In addition, Mark Holyoak will again return with his big block Super Beetle to make their Speedweek the biggest down under VW land speed event ever and coverage will be provided by VolksWagen Magazine Australia (VWMA). These mates from OZ will be great competitors to us above the equator folks so do not be surprised if some 36hp Challenge records get bumped up before the Maxton, Mojave, Texas, Maine and Bonneville events.

This year is already shaping up to be even better than 2010 when we had over 13 36hp Challengers on the salt along with another 11 VW air and water cooled racers. If you think you will be racing your 36hp Challenger at Bonneville in September or at any other venue around the world this year, please get in contact with me and supply both photos and details of your effort. As you know,  I maintain a history of VW land speed racers and want to make sure your efforts are included.

I would like to take this moment to personally thank both HOT VW's and Wolfsburg West for their support and encouragement in our 36hp efforts. Be sure we return the support to their repective efforts.

Take care till next visit and may the Speed be with you.....................

Burly

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »
Jon,

You can move my comment from the other thread if you wish.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

• Age 70
HVW's May issue story on VW's at 2010 WOS
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:35:42 PM »
I just got word from Colton at BC Autoworks that the 2010 World of Speed story in the May 2011 issue of Hot VW's magazine is just hitting the newstands now. Lots of land speed racing VW's, both 36hp and big block plus watercooled are featured.

Plus HVW's will be at Bonneville this September to cover the Volkswagen racers at the 2011 World of Speed. You are right, the salt is going to be a hot(VW's) spot this year.

Gonna be fun ! ! ! !

Burly

• Age 70
Herrods Helper Rear Wing
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 06:16:05 PM »
Those VW's that expect to reach or exceed 115 miles per hour would benefit greatly from the installation of an original or replica Herrods Helper rear wing. They bolt onto the air intake grill below the rear window on bugs and increase high speed stability. And they are vintage period pieces so they look good too.

If you are running in the 36hp Challenge DSS, NA36 or K36 classes and have the potential to reach that speed, for safety reasons, this specific aerodynamic device will be allowed without penalty to your speed record.

They can be sourced from:

Gilmore Enterprises in Florida Phone # 727 573-2944 or on the web at www.gilmore-enterprises.net

Here is the replica wing mounted on Dick Wakefields 67 bug at this years World of Speed. And thanx Dick, for sharing your source and contact information for this safety item.

Dick on his way down the long black line..............in his 130 MPH Club big block Cal Look sedan.

Burly

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
What does "big block" mean in your circle?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

• Age 70
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
What does "big block" mean in your circle?

SB, since starting the 36hp Challenge back in 05, we have referred to the 1961 and newer Volkswagen air cooled engines as 'Big Blocks'. They are the 1500cc and 1600cc stock engines as well as the 40hp 1200cc and later 1300cc engines which are essentially the same design of engine case and all the various cranks are 'bolt in'. These big blocks are unique in almost every way from a 36hp engine with almost no part interchangeability. The later Type 4 style engines which includes the 72 and later Type 2 and Porsche 914(and some mid-seventies 912's) are also big blocks but were never installed in Beetles, Ghias or Type 3's.

Since the 36hp engine never grew larger than 1192cc's from the factory, we felt the small block connotation was a fair description. Now we just have to educate the rest of the VW world to see it our way as most of the folks involved in Volkswagens today are from younger generations and have had no involvement or knowledge of the 36hp engine era. Like the Ford flathead and other 'X' category vintage LSR racers, most of today's folks have felt the small block 36hp engines were throwaway anchors, but like the perrenial flathead, are enjoying a revival of sorts in various forms of motorsports. In Australia, a group of land speed racers have taken the small block 36hp concept and created the 36hp Challenge Drags so they will have more venues in which to compete as well as the once a year event at Lake Gairdner.

I hope this is helpful...........

Burly

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »
Big block VW cases make more sparks on the fire at the bend.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
Thanx!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

• Age 70
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
Big block VW cases make more sparks on the fire at the bend.

DW

Damn right they do.......we just have to keep the desert police off our 'case'(pun intended!).

Burly

DocBeech

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
I have a question guys, I need to sell and have had no luck getting rid of it. I have a 4 speed transmission off a 1963 Karmann Ghia. Only thing wrong with it is the 1st gear synchro is shot. Otherwise it runs beautifully. Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can sell this with any kind of luck?

• Age 70
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
I have a question guys, I need to sell and have had no luck getting rid of it. I have a 4 speed transmission off a 1963 Karmann Ghia. Only thing wrong with it is the 1st gear synchro is shot. Otherwise it runs beautifully. Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can sell this with any kind of luck?

Doc, the best location for selling anything Volkswagen is a site called www.thesamba.com .  It is free to register and sell and in general can help you with anything to do with VW's. Ebay of course is another source as is Craigs List.

Good luck on finding the wounded tranny a new home.

Burly

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
Here's the latest from BurlyBug - about the VW racers:

Hi 36hp Challenge and big block VW racers, pit crew members and spectators

Septembers World of Speed and the BIG Volkswagen land speed racer gathering is getting close! Just a touch more than two months to go. If you are planning to join us this year, please email me back and let me know your plans. Will you be bringing a car and how is the project coming along or are you coming to spectate or help one of the racers? Please drop me an email with your plans so I will know to to keep an eye out and make sure to let you know of any last minute salt racing updates. As of now, Utah is experiencing good hot temps and the salt should be dry or close to dry as we speak. I expect the course to be every bit as good as last year and will be attending next months SCTA/BNI SpeedWeek event. When I return I should have definitive information on the race course and will let everyone know by email.

I am also excited about a couple of visitors who will be joining us on the salt whom most of you will be acquainted with but have probably not met in person. This will be a great opportunity to enjoy a little one on one with these folks who make our hobby possible. And remember, R.K. Smith from Hot VW's is planning on being on the salt with us to cover the event as well. It is gonna be fun!

Again, please let me know how your race plans are coming.

May the Speed be with you..............................

Burly
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

• Age 70
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
Hot VW's magazine editor and photographer, R.K. Smith, will be coming to Utah this September to cover VW events at this years World of Speed being held on the Bonneville Salt Flats. The activities begin officially on Tuesday the 13th with VW racing beginning on Wednesday the 14th. Racing will continue through Saturday the 17th but most racing has concluded by Friday afternoon.

photo by Rose Wilson

In addition to Hot VW's joining the VW Bonneville racers, a well known Samba moderator from Europe will be on the salt on Thursday and Friday as well as Tony Moore from Wolfsburg West, who will be joining the event to oversee the $1000.00 contingency award he has made available to 36hp Challenge racers running his new Okrasa style 36hp dual port heads.

If you can arrange to join us between Wednesday, Thursday or Friday (Sept 14th to 16th),  please contact me for details and so we can put you on our mailing list to receive event updates. If you would like to put a club cruise together to motor out to Bonneville, that would even be better. Free camping without facilities is available at Roads Bend, just a couple of miles from the salt and limited rooms are still available in Wendover.

I hope many of you can join us on this first occasion of Hot VW's visit to Utah. At present, over thirty VW's have indicated they will be on the salt to race, including Big Block VW air cooleds(1600cc and above), watercooled VW's(up to 158 miles per hour-a radical turbo Golf) and 36hp VW's competing in the 36hp Challenge.

It is going to be a fun VW event and we hope you will make it out to support the Volkswagen racers. Information can be found at the following links:

www.saltflats.com    General Salt Flats information

www.burlyb.com       36hp Challenge specifics

Till then, may the Speed be with you.......................

Burly Burlile

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
"What's a Samba moderator?"

"$1.98, or 2 for $3."