Author Topic: Question on Goodyear land Speed tires  (Read 14680 times)

Offline Worlds Fastest Comanche

Question on Goodyear land Speed tires
« on: March 02, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »

I was looking to run a turbo this year , and maybe be able to hit 200mph.  So the need for special tires comes in.    I was looking at the Goodyear Land speed tires, and  the 5" wide tires are all around $500 each, however they have a 28x10 that cost half that much.    I like the price, but do i need the width, or will it just cause more drag.   Can you put 550rwhp  to the salt without a 5" wide tire slipping or do you need to go to a larger tire?
Peter Lechtanski
The Worlds Fastest Comanche Project

Offline DallasV

Re: Question on Goodyear land Speed tires
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »
Rather than starting another debate, you may want to check this topic from earlier. then if you have more questions ask. http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,9118.0.html

This comes up a lot.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:16:39 PM »

I was looking to run a turbo this year , and maybe be able to hit 200mph.  So the need for special tires comes in.    I was looking at the Goodyear Land speed tires, and  the 5" wide tires are all around $500 each, however they have a 28x10 that cost half that much.    I like the price, but do i need the width, or will it just cause more drag.   Can you put 550rwhp  to the salt without a 5" wide tire slipping or do you need to go to a larger tire?

As Dallas pointed out, variations of this topic have shown up several times on here .... and they have been nearly beaten to death on here a few times. As a tech inspector, I get asked about this regularly .....

What I am going to say about the 28 X 10 tires is that they appear to be front inner tires used on Nascar G/N racecars. We have run the Nascar tires in the past .....they are, in my opinion, good tires, up to the job and capable of supporting some serious weight too.

Before I say a lot more on the others, I would like to know - are you racing on the salt or on pavement, how fast you actually expect to go, the weight of your vehicle, front and rear weights, are there any aerodynamic downforce devices in use....i.e. front/rear spoilers.... covered pickup beds also do seem to offer some positve down force for some people as well....especially if the truck has noticeable forward rake. Many people running in the 180s to 220s for speed are running the drag front runners..... they do pass tech as well..... I will say that we have run them up to the mid 230s and have NEVER had any problems....unless running over debris on the course counts as a problem....

I have never actually figured out what the real differences are between the LSR tires and the drag tires.... I am guessing it is some special layup techniques and an insurance pollicy premium that makes the LSR tires almost 3 times as expensive- compare the prices in Summit for drag frontrunners to the prices for LSR tires.

No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
I was told that the GoodYear Front Runners are 2 ply tires and the GoodYear Land Speed Tires (300 mph spec) are 4 ply.

I was thinking on buying two of the GY Land Speed tires for the Rear (drive tires) and using the Front Runners for the Front.  Is this a good idea or bad ?  I figure if others have been Ok with front runners on all four corners,, I could use them up front and spend the extra money for the rears ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline fastman614

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »
I really cannot say what exactly the difference between them is.... I do know that, on a weigh scale, I did not find the difference that Goodyear says the 28 X 4.5 - 15 Drag tires vs. the LSR tires. I have 2 sets of drag tires and one set of LSR tires.... 

Several of the other sizes do seem to have a substantial advertised weight difference with the LSR tires being heavier in MOST cases..... a few of them by a noticeable amount..... the exception is the 23 X 5 - 15 drag tire is heavier than the LSR tire. I have never had the 23" tires in hand of either genre, so I can't say that I know for sure, though.

On the 28 X 4.5 - 15 tires though, I just don't see how .6 of a pound could possibley equal 2 extra plies.... in hand, they both feel identical. And do copy and keep the chart....

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
Several of the other sizes do seem to have a substantial advertised weight difference with the LSR tires being heavier in MOST cases..... a few of them by a noticeable amount..... the exception is the 23 X 5 - 15 drag tire is heavier than the LSR tire. I have never had the 23" tires in hand of either genre, so I can't say that I know for sure, though.

I have been told that THIS tire is the frontrunner tire used on funny cars- which run in the 300 mph range....  Nice tire specs...... hmmmmm....