Author Topic: Fiberglass Turbo Plenum?  (Read 11381 times)

Offline hombre

Re: Re: Re: Fiberglass Turbo Plenum?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Is there any good way to weld a flange into the compressor housing?

Machine the "lip" off the impeller housing outlet, machine coupler to fit over outlet and V-band half... then weld together. Make sure you measure 3 times, because there will be no free play with welded V-band clamps.  :-)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:11:55 PM by hombre »

Offline maj

Re: Fiberglass Turbo Plenum?
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »
Are you seeing any issues with exhaust movement from heat expansion when you hard couple the inlet ?

Offline hombre

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »
Are you seeing any issues with exhaust movement from heat expansion when you hard couple the inlet ?

I believe you mean hard couple the outlet.  :?

I don't have an exhaust heat problem with the Rotrex because it's crankshaft driven, a blower not a turbo, with dedicated oil coolant/lube system.

Offline maj

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »
 :-D  yeah that end

Ok ,Rotrex is a different thing to turbo

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 01:28:44 AM »
The modern Triumph Bonnevilles are NA engines and they have a peculiar habit of blowing their air boxes apart when the engine backfires.  The air box has an inlet.  What we learned is a small hole like an inlet or a pop off valve is not large enough to relieve explosive pressure quickly enough.  A burst panel is needed.

There might be some link between fuel collecting in the bottom of the air box and them blowing apart when the engine backfires.  I like to have a drain at the lowest point in the air box and I would put one on a plenum if I used one.  The drain would be opened if I suspected that unburned fuel was inside.   

Offline maj

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »
when i use water injection upstream of the plenum i always drill a 1/16 hole in the base of the plenum , on the low side when on the side stand
makes sure there is never a collection of water , same could apply for fuel