Author Topic: Jaws of life vs cage  (Read 4417 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Jaws of life vs cage
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »
I know that I have read cautions about gussets or something in reguard to helping  the safty crew help you but I am not finding it.  Anyone remember?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:18:28 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Jaws of life vs cage
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »
Sparky
IIRC that was about sheeting or plating the top of the cage like top fuel does. With it plated they have trouble getting the jaws in the right place to sever the bars to get you out.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
makes sense---thanks
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
The cab of our car is plated in completely but there is a line around the front of the cage where there is clear access for this very reason.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:23:06 AM »
 don't completely plate your cage at the shoulder hoop I (we) will have a hard time getting you out.  If you put in a 4in gusset like the rule book tells you the safety guys should be able to cut the cage off just above these gussets, also dont plate in over your legs.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 01:00:42 AM »
  Not to take away from the Jaws of Life, but with the new 18 volt battery sawsalls, with a good blade they are just about as fast..............  good to have both when needed.
  I know the plates on the Top Fuelers are Titanium.  Has anyone ever cut Titanium with a saw blade?  I was just wondering how hard it is compared to mild steel.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:04:15 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
 Not to take away from the Jaws of Life, but with the new 18 volt battery sawsalls, with a good blade they are just about as fast..............  good to have both when needed.
  I know the plates on the Top Fuelers are Titanium.  Has anyone ever cut Titanium with a saw blade?  I was just wondering how hard it is compared to mild steel.

You will wear out your blade before getting through.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
  Tman, thanxs.................Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
SCTA has two types of roll bar cutters, porta band saws , hydraulic spreaders and other extraction equipment. I have cut off a lot of roll bars when I was on the ERT team. Like Mike said don't weld plates all the way across the upper cage tubes or the shoulder bar. Sparky did you get the picture I sent to you?

One other thing is tools and saws that cause sparks are not a good idea is there has been a fuel spill into the driveing compartment.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:38:29 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »
Glen sent along this photo, and I'll also include his comments:

"This is the type of cage that is welded 100% and will not let a roll bar cutter access to cut the bars off. The entire cage is welded solid with the steel plate all around it.  Glen"

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:56:59 PM by Glen »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mkilger

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:04:52 AM »
thanks glen, let pray we dont have to use them at speedweek this year ya.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:53 AM »
Glen, yes I did---thanks--is there a rule of thumb on how much open space between the tube joint and "Miss Gussie" 

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
Sparky, we would like 3" to allow the jaws to be inserted to cut the tube. I would like the side plates to be bolted in much like the top fuel cars use.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »
side plates  :?

Offline jdincau

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
side plates  :?

The titanium shields on the outside of the cage that keeps the supercharger/injector/magneto/spark plugs and other incidental missiles form shrapneling the driver when the lump grenades.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!