Author Topic: Powder Coating Question  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Mac3170

• New folks
Re: Powder Coating Question
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
Let me second the "DO NOT allow brake cleaner around welding" comment.  I welded a small piece for my new streamliner that had been cleaned with brake cleaner, dried by compressed air & had sat untouched for a while.  I thought it was safe to weld but the small residue unknowingly trapped in the joint created the gas, I breathed a very small amount & my racing plans abruptly ended for last year.   The hospital bills & other expenses may keep the liner in the garage again this season.  Now you ECTA guys know why we never returned with the SCREAMLINER.

Offline Brian Thomas

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 09:57:05 PM »
I have run in to the dreaded fumes but only with certain brands of brake clean. CRC brand in the red can delivered the worst fumes. All others I have used have no affect or put off gas during welding of cleaned parts. You guys must be real sick or old to have it shut you down for so long. Even with just a whiff? Or did you just keep breathing it. If so I dont know how you did it. Shits nasty as hell but never got sick from it.
Brian.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
There was a series of posts about how "Brewdude" the chopper builder almost killed himself after welding a part cleaned with brake cleaner.  Don't take any chances.  Rubbing alcohol is what I use for weld area cleaning after reading about Brew.  It works almost as good as brake cleaner and it is safe.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 01:05:56 AM »
Acetone works really well for cleaning any traces of oil before tig welding and it doesn't give off any fumes as it evaporates almost instantly.

There are certain brands of brake clean that don't give off the phosgene gas but if you're foolish enough to take the risk then be prepared for the consequences. I too survived a couple of doses with no consequences, but that doesn't mean I'd get away with it again. Why take the chance? Too many have been seriously injured.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
There was a series of posts about how "Brewdude" the chopper builder almost killed himself after welding a part cleaned with brake cleaner.  Don't take any chances.  Rubbing alcohol is what I use for weld area cleaning after reading about Brew.  It works almost as good as brake cleaner and it is safe.

Yeah, Steve Garn aka Brewdude is actually messed up for life from that deal.